Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/2/2012 9:00:21 AM EDT
I got my 1st AR (ST-15 middy) is September of 2011.  I've been keeping the urge to buy another AR at bay.  Unfortunately, BRD is stronger than my will power.  I've been thinking about a 14.5" (pinned) as my next AR, either PSA or BCM.  It will be a middy with an A1 stock and a pinned comp.  If I go PSA it will be the pig sticker.  If I go BCM it will be the PSW.  I don't want to go NFA.  I've thought about NFA, but its not my cup of tea.  Couple things for the hive...

1) Is there a noticeable difference between a 14.5" pinned and a 16" barrel?  Is it really that big of a deal...it's 1.5"?!
2) How do they function compared to 16" AR?  Reliability. Accuracy.
3) Show me your pics...specifically 16" compared to 14.5" pinned in the same pic.  I thought there was a thread on this but I can't find it.  I don't know anyone who has a 14.5" pinned barrel so I can't compare for myself.

I know that if I go 14.5" pinned it will be hard to modify the upper, but plan on getting her with a 12" MI SS.  This way I won't have too worry about modifying the upper.  Also, she's just going to be a range toy and HD rifle.  Anyway, any opinions or advice would be helpful.  As always, much appreciated!
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I got my 1st AR (ST-15 middy) is September of 2011.  I've been keeping the urge to buy another AR at bay.  Unfortunately, BRD is stronger than my will power.  I've been thinking about a 14.5" (pinned) as my next AR, either PSA or BCM.  It will be a middy with an A1 stock and a pinned comp.  If I go PSA it will be the pig sticker.  If I go BCM it will be the PSW.  I don't want to go NFA.  I've thought about NFA, but its not my cup of tea.  Couple things for the hive...

1) Is there a noticeable difference between a 14.5" pinned and a 16" barrel?  Is it really that big of a deal...it's 1.5"?!
3) Show me your pics...specifically 16" compared to 14.5" pinned in the same pic.  I thought there was a thread on this but I can't find it.  I don't know anyone who has a 14.5" pinned barrel so I can't compare for myself.

I know that if I go 14.5" pinned it will be hard to modify the upper, but plan on getting her with a 12" MI SS.  This way I won't have too worry about modifying the upper.  Also, she's just going to be a range toy and HD rifle.  Anyway, any opinions or advice would be helpful.  As always, much appreciated!

1) NO
2) Same
3) Pics on home computer. I have a 16" and a 14.5 middy  both are BCM , Just a little over an inch shorter for the 14.5 with a Battlecomp on it
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 9:11:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Actually its less than 1.5" as there are different length FH used. The typical A2 is smaller than the one one my pinned BCM. The Vortex is longer too and can be pinned on the 14.5". There are other examples too.

That being said I still went with a pinned 14.5 on my last build.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#3]
My 16"-er (barrel) has a Rainier Mini Comp on it and is maybe 1/2" longer than buddies 14.7"-er w/ pinned A2.

I was actually suprised at how close in length they were.

Funny how, we as Americans, tend to always want the bigger items in life (house, car, boat, etc..), but when it comes to our barrels, shorter seem to be what most want.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 9:17:48 AM EDT
[#4]
To me the 14.7 looks better, but for a SHTF type rifle, I would go 16 with A2 stock.

Link Posted: 8/2/2012 9:53:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/550181_14_5_pinned_to_16_Pic_Thread.html

I don't think you'll find many, if any, 16" vs 14.5" comparison pics in that thread.  But it's full of 14.5" pinned to 16" setups.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#6]
My 16" M&P carbine compared to my 14.5 Spike's middie with pinned Dynacomp.

Link Posted: 8/2/2012 10:59:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1) NO
2) Same
3) Pics on home computer. I have a 16" and a 14.5 middy  both are BCM , Just a little over an inch shorter for the 14.5 with a Battlecomp on it

is the BCM a real 14.5 or is it off
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah the 14.5 pinned does look cooler without a doubt.  No one has really touched on functionality and realibility.  Must be six of one half dozen of the other.  Keep them pics coming.  Thanks for the info guys.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#9]
7.5 to 14.5 carbine
18 to 20 rifle
I have no use for a over 17 inch carbine

With Tele closed my M4 is 30.5 (using a regular mil issue telestock without pad)
makes for a handy HD carbine
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Top = 14.5" Colt SOCOM with pinned Smith Vortex flash hider

Bottom = Factory Colt LE6920 16" upper with standard A2 flash hider

I like the 14.5" as it's a tad shorter, however just as accurate; if not a tad more accurate thanks to the heavy profile being more rigid.

ETA: forgot the pic, DOH!

Link Posted: 8/2/2012 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Top = 14.5" Colt SOCOM with pinned Smith Vortex flash hider

Bottom = Factory Colt LE6920 16" upper with standard A2 flash hider

I like the 14.5" as it's a tad shorter, however just as accurate; if not a tad more accurate thanks to the heavy profile being more rigid.

ETA: forgot the pic, DOH!

You just had to do it.
If I ever get  money to blow
Im going to build one
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 11:27:45 AM EDT
[#12]
unless you belong to the flash hider of the month club, I would recommend a 14.5 middy

Link Posted: 8/2/2012 12:05:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
unless you belong to the flash hider of the month club, I would recommend a 14.5 middy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/rjszurgot/DSCN1540.jpg

Agreed.  I'd also recommend the Vortex.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  I'd also recommend the Vortex.

MIne is the AAC blackout but they are comparable in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What's wrong with the Flash Hider of the month club!

It's good for the economy.

Quoted:

Good point, the OP should build multiple rifles all with different flash hiders to spur our economic recovery.

ETA: and they should be purchased at AIM surplus to spur their economic recovery

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My 16" M&P carbine compared to my 14.5 Spike's middie with pinned Dynacomp.

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh490/billyjack2011/AR/IMG_0129.jpg

For me, this pic says it all.  Thanks for the info fellas!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I have always prefered 14.5" barrels but thats based entirely on how they look. Not on any functional reason.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 10:48:36 AM EDT
[#19]
a 14.5 is nice if you ever plan to stack on a door or add a can...every little bit helps in those two departments otherwise not much difference
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Or unless you want to own a certain sound suppressor to use on your rifle.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 11:27:37 AM EDT
[#21]
As mentioned choice of flash suppressor is going to be a determining factor in the length you end up with. I have a PSA 16" middy w
/A2 flash hider and just got a PSA 14.7 with a pinned Voertex flash hider. The difference in length when side by side is only maybe 1/2" due to the longer Vortex. Looking at them separately the difference in length is hardly noticeable. Guess what I'm getting at is if you want to experience any of the perceived advantages of going with a permed flash hider on a shorter barrel, put some consideration into the length of your flash hider.

Function between the two is identical. My particular 14.7" is exceptionally accurate. No regrets other than maybe wishing I'd have picked an A2 flash hider to get the length down a little more or went with a 14.5".

I think there is less of an advantage, at least from an aesthetic standpoint, of going with a permed flash hider on a middy because they don't have the excessive amount of barrel hanging out of a short handguard like a carbine. You will notice more of an improvement in the way your rifle looks (if that matters) when going with a 14.5" on a carbine in my opinion. Doesn't really matter if you are putting a longer rail on though.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#22]
When you factor in all the additional cost/work for a 14.5in pinned/welded versus a 16in barrel its just not worth the half inch in reduced length, IMO.
Plus if you ever need to take your barrel off or something or want a new gas block with a 14.5in, say bye to that muzzle device.
But if you are more worried about if your rifle looks as cool as possible, then get the 14.5in I suppose.
I think my 16in looks just fine:
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#23]
You lose about 75 to 100 fps in velocity gong from a 16" barrel to a 14.5.

When bullets designed for the military (XM193, M885) require hitting flesh at 2700 fps, every inch you chop off the original 20" AR reduces the distance your ammo will be effective.

Keeping the velocity above 2700 fps and above is cruicial. If you plan on doing CQB then a 14.5 middy is fine but I would stock up on SOST ammo as it's optimized for that short barrel.

If you have open country then 16" and above would be my recommendation.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Just pick a muzzle device and go with it.  It can actually be removed by a "professional" if you REALLY want to change it up.  14.5 is just a little shorter making it more maneuverable and it just looks better.

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#25]
14.5 for carbines. 16 inch barrels look silly on a carbine gas system. And a standard bayonet will not fit.

Eta pic

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top