Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2012 5:10:35 PM EDT
I have a 16 in Recce type build using a 16 in stainless barrel from GTS and a Larue free float. I wanting something that has a longer reach accuracy wise. Shooter and lower being the same, will a 18 inch SPR upper give a noticeable longer reach? Or do I need to move up to a precision 308 AR?
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Not really but a bigger optic would probably help.
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I understand, there is no increase in accuracy going with an 18" barrel over a 16", at least in terms of the accuracy of the barrels themselves.

However, an 18" barrel would allow for a longer FF rail, therefore allowing you to increase the sight-radius of your BUIS.  The other advantage would be slightly higher velocity from the same loads, therefore giving you a longer effective range before you ran out of workable expansion velocities for your bullet of choice and maybe a slightly flatter trajectory.

But an increase in inherent accuracy, from what I understand, no...
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 6:26:04 PM EDT
[#3]
So I'm just here for the weather

I've read a few internet rumors that 16" can be more consistent across the temp changes and possibly more accurate

Link Posted: 9/18/2012 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#4]
The difference is negligible.

I for one like going a bit shorter. My SPR is a 16", and my RECCE is a 14.5".
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The difference is negligible.

I for one like going a bit shorter. My SPR is a 16", and my RECCE is a 14.5".

A SPR is 18" and the REECE is 16", calling them something else is not correct, actually there are 2 models of the SPR MOD 0, and MOD 1, which has those pretty much set in stone.

Link Posted: 9/18/2012 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#6]
The RECCE (note the spelling) is not type classified and could be any barrel length. Usually they are 14.5-16.
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 9:08:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The RECCE (note the spelling) is not type classified and could be any barrel length. Usually they are 14.5-16.

This exactly in regards to a RECCE.

And notice how I referred to the SPR as "my SPR." My 16" DD V7 with a bipod, UBR and 4-12x optic is a tack driver...and is more than effective out to 600 yards. So as said, it's my SPR.

When I want to reach out and touch something beyond that, I've long thrown the 223/556 out the window.
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's mine  16" barrel

Link Posted: 9/19/2012 12:32:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I want to reach out and touch something beyond that, I've long thrown the 223/556 out the window.

I agree with this.

Op if your shooting targets out to 600 id just stick with a 16 inch. If your hunting out to 400 or want to target shoot out to 600-1000 i suggest you up the caliber imo.

Btw way the difference between 16-18 inch is less than 100 fps/ft lbs, but if you really want to stick with .223/5.56 id go with an 18 inch cause any raise in fps.ft lbs helps.
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 6:33:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Range wise....about the same.

The sight radius thing is ehh.....I have a 16" barrel with a 15" rail...so even if you had an 18" barrel could you find a rail longer than 15", which can be used on a 16" just the same? Point being, same sight radius. Plus, you are probably going to use an optic anyways, so sight radius means nothing.

The only thing I would take into consideration is that with a 16" barrel you are most likely going to have carbine or mid-length gas systems. With 18" you can have rifle length gas system. This will not affect your effective range, just the way the gun feels when shooting it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 6:37:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Barrel quality and trigger quality will be the defining qualities IMO.

The most accurate AR I own is a 16 inch RECCE built by HCS with a Douglas barrel. I have it on a KAC lower with their two stage match trigger.

Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:20:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Crap, I accidentally used two E.s not two C's, anyhow.  Your correct, but as the RECCE, has never been type classified, the general consensus from Crane, is the 16" mid action, has proven to give the overall performance, and has been the majority of the builds for testing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:25:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This exactly in regards to a RECCE.

And notice how I referred to the SPR as "my SPR." My 16" DD V7 with a bipod, UBR and 4-12x optic is a tack driver...and is more than effective out to 600 yards. So as said, it's my SPR.

Even if you use "MY" before SPR, it's not a SPR, you don't have then18" barrel, call it what it is a RECCE, the SPR is a breed all it's own, and now most people have no idea what a true SPR is, from all the miss labeled and noncorrect use.  Yes it sounds cool to say, but its using the wrong term, or description, on a rifle that shares nothing with the breed.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top