Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/19/2013 4:31:29 PM EDT
I'm torn between what length rail to put on my 16" barreled sig m400. Anyone have pics of 10-14" rails on 16" barrels? Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#1]
13" Troy on 16" Middy

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#2]

I was thinking 12" but that makes me want a 13 and I'm doing my rifle in FDE as well
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#3]
12 inch hand guard

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 4:57:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Thank you! This might be a stupid question but what exactly is a recce style rifle?

Edit: looks to be some form of precision rifle? But what exactly makes it a recce
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Thank you! This might be a stupid question but what exactly is a recce style rifle?

It's a military rifle variant.

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I read that in a quick google search but what qualities make it a recce?
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#8]
13" rails on the two rifles on the right.  The far right is a 14.5" barrel.  I think 13" is a great length.

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I read that in a quick google search but what qualities make it a recce?

I don't know too much about them, but I believe they run a 16 inch stainless steel barrel with a variable scope.

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, 16" Stainless Free Floated rifle with a magnified optic.  If you read the thread, pay attention for Augee's posts.  He explains it in quite a bit of detail.  Essentially it was a short lived custom system that was developed and produced for a select few units that desired an M4 platform that had the abilities to accurately reach out to longer distances then a standard M4 could.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yep, 16" Stainless Free Floated rifle with a magnified optic.  If you read the thread, pay attention for Augee's posts.  He explains it in quite a bit of detail.  Essentially it was a short lived custom system that was developed and produced for a select few units that desired an M4 platform that had the abilities to accurately reach out to longer distances then a standard M4 could.

Yea I think it's my popular with us civilians vs actual military guys.

OP did you find the pics you wanted?

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#12]
courtesy of larue.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#13]
15" rail 16" barrel

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea I think it's my popular with us civilians vs actual military guys.  

OP did you find the pics you wanted?

Yep I think I've seen all I need to see! Ill probably go with a 13 inch rail, just not sure on brand yet. I want something kind of light weight but still want to be able to have rail on all four sides
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:35:03 PM EDT
[#15]
This is either a 10 or 11 inch rail on my LWRC M6A2 . All it says in the description on the website is mid-length handguard and i'm not at home to measure it.

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is either a 10 or 11 inch rail on my LWRC M6A2 . All it says in the description on the website is mid-length handguard and i'm not at home to measure it.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/mrkma/LWRC/TAC47-6.jpg

Do you have any idea if a 10" rail will cover a carbine gas block?
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/mrkma/LWRC/TAC47-6.jpg

Do you have any idea if a 10" rail will cover a carbine gas block?

Yes, a 9" covers a shaved down FSB perfectly.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 8:17:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks! I really want a longer rail for the long sight radius, mounting room and being able to get my front hand out farther  but I feel like the weight is gonna be a huge killer unless I spend 350 bucks on a rail
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks! I really want a longer rail for the long sight radius, mounting room and being able to get my front hand out farther  but I feel like the weight is gonna be a huge killer unless I spend 350 bucks on a rail

Troy Alpha, $160-$200 depending on length. Light.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#20]
12" YHM diamond rail on a 16" PSA middie. Handguards are a littler bigger than others but it's a light rifle.

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm really wanting rail on all four sides, but does the alpha rail come with some rail sections to put where you need them? I'm wanting to mount an afg, light, and magpul mbus

Also, are Midwest industries heavy?
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
12" YHM diamond rail on a 16" PSA middie. Handguards are a littler bigger than others but it's a light rifle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/tedzilla/psa-rifle3.jpg

Very nice...does Yankee hill use a proprietary barrel nut?
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm really wanting rail on all four sides, but does the alpha rail come with some rail sections to put where you need them? I'm wanting to mount an afg, light, and magpul mbus

It comes with two short sections of rail and one longer section. BUIS on top, AFG on a rail section, and then there's several direct light mounts made by Impact Weapons Components so you don't even need a section of rail for that. The Alpha also uses a factory barrel nut. For me, the Alpha is the best rail available unless you want to step it up to the Noveske NSR.

I don't like the rails that use two little tabs on the bottom with screws running through them. That's the old TRX design, and Troy improved that with the Alpha. Around the time Troy came out with the Alpha, a few companies made rails that look very derivative of the old TRX design, and I'm not remotely impressed by any of them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#24]
MI SS-Gen 2 15" rail on a 16" barrel with a Surefire muzzle brake (MB556K-PN).  I needed the long handguard length to get the weapon light out the window, but I didn't really care for the look...just a little too long in terms of aesthetics and my personal taste.  The longer brake definitely helped the looks, although that's not why I added it (like any ultra light weight rifle, it makes it easier to keep on target).  

FYI - This is a super light handguard....this rifle weighs 8.75 lbs unloaded as you see it, with the 3-15x42 Zeiss scope (also very light), AD mount and Harris bipod.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#25]

(That's a KG GunKote gray lower...not a shitty anodizing job!)

Centurion Arms C4 Mid-Length Cutout rail....another ultra light rail.  Quad railed and only a few oz. heavier than the MI tube style rail in my above post....these are incredibly light and strong....and expensive ($320-ish).  BAD ASS rail, though...absolutely in love with it, and I've had it long enough for the new to wear off.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad128/ACReptiles/Noveske/CenturionPSAupper.jpg
(That's a KG GunKote gray lower...not a shitty anodizing job!)

Centurion Arms C4 Mid-Length Cutout rail....another ultra light rail.  Quad railed and only a few oz. heavier than the MI tube style rail in my above post....these are incredibly light and strong....and expensive ($320-ish).  BAD ASS rail, though...absolutely in love with it, and I've had it long enough for the new to wear off.

Very nice rifle, it seems the lighter the rail the more expensive they get lol
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It comes with two short sections of rail and one longer section. BUIS on top, AFG on a rail section, and then there's several direct light mounts made by Impact Weapons Components so you don't even need a section of rail for that. The Alpha also uses a factory barrel nut. For me, the Alpha is the best rail available unless you want to step it up to the Noveske NSR.

I don't like the rails that use two little tabs on the bottom with screws running through them. That's the old TRX design, and Troy improved that with the Alpha. Around the time Troy came out with the Alpha, a few companies made rails that look very derivative of the old TRX design, and I'm not remotely impressed by any of them.

I guess I don't really need a quad rail as much as I thought, I won't be mounting much to it anyway and I'd like to save as much weight as possible. Ill definitely keep the alpha in mind when it comes time to buy.

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#28]
here is a 12' larue rail on a 16
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 10:10:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/tedzilla/psa-rifle3.jpg

Very nice...does Yankee hill use a proprietary barrel nut?

Yup, haven't taken it apart myself but I've watched videos. (Got it from PSA like that)
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#30]
11" Troy on 16" barrel.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top