Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/21/2013 10:45:18 AM EDT
As the title says, I would love to see a picture. I know that it's pretty specific, but I'm trying to decide between govt profile barrel and the LW profile barrel.

Yes, I am making a loose clone of the BCM EAG.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is mine.  Very similar except it has a Daniel Defense Omega X instead of a Larue.

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is mine.  Very similar except it has a Daniel Defense Omega X instead of a Larue.

<a href="http://s902.photobucket.com/user/heidiandtravis/media/photo5_zps6637d867.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac230/heidiandtravis/photo5_zps6637d867.jpg</a>
View Quote

Thanks for the response, the rail looks pretty close.

How do you like it? Does it balance well?
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:02:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I really like it, although I'm also thinking about selling it haha.  I ended up building another AR with a Rainier Arms match barrel and you can definitely tell a difference in the weight.  I think if you went without a FSB the weight would be less front heavy though.  I really want to build a 14.5 LW upper with the new BCM Keymod rail that's coming out.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm pretty much doing the same setup.  14.5" Spikes Elite midlength, keeping FSP, Daniel Defense lite 9" and a perm-ed AAC 18 tooth flash hider.  It's going to ADCO tomorrow for the work and if you want I can snap pics when it comes back.  Yes, the EAG was also my inspiration......
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:05:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a BCM EAG in the safe. I've never shot it. I'd go with a lightweight barrel but frankly in 14.5 mid it's a minimal difference in weight.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Why would you have a lightweight profile barrel with an A2 FSB on it? Seems like a mismatch of priorities there…
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why would you have a lightweight profile barrel with an A2 FSB on it? Seems like a mismatch of priorities there…
View Quote

How so?
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
I prefer fixed front sight and light weight barrel on my general purpose carbines. The only ones I have with low profile gas blocks are precision guns with magnified optics.

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I prefer the fixed FSB on my “work” guns (the ones I carry daily). The extra weight of the A2 sight over a Lo-Pro is negligible, and the barrel will be Free-Floated.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't want to call it negligible, it's probably close to a quarter pound.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#11]
A standard FSB is 0.33 pounds. reference

To compare weight savings, take:

1. Standard FSB, Magpul MOE Midlength handguard = 16.74 oz
2. LaRue low-pro gas-block, 12" DD M4 Rail = 14.5 oz
reference

Total savings: 2.24 oz.

We must also consider the leverage that these components have. Weight that is located further from the user will have greater torque, making it seem heavier.
- Option 1 will be about 1.76 oz lighter across the length of the handguard ==> "moderate" torque generated for less than 2 oz.
- Option 2 will be about 4.00 oz lighter at the end of the handguard ==> "heavy" torque generated for 4 oz.

So Option 2 should in fact feel even more than 2.24 oz lighter because of the difference in placement of the weight savings in relation to the user.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Compare something like a light gas block and a TRX Extreme or NSR or Rainier Evolution rail.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

A standard FSB is 0.33 pounds. reference

To compare weight savings, take:

1. Standard FSB, Magpul MOE Midlength handguard = 16.74 oz

2. LaRue low-pro gas-block, 12" DD M4 Rail = 14.5 oz

reference

Total savings: 2.24 oz.

We must also consider the leverage that these components have. Weight that is located further from the user will have greater torque, making it seem heavier.

- Option 1 will be about 1.76 oz lighter across the length of the handguard ==> "moderate" torque generated for less than 2 oz.

- Option 2 will be about 4.00 oz lighter at the end of the handguard ==> "heavy" torque generated for 4 oz.

So Option 2 should in fact feel even more than 2.24 oz lighter because of the difference in placement of the weight savings in relation to the user.
View Quote
Yeah, but option 1 gives you, you know, a front sight

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Just got mine back from ADCO today.  I love it!  I'll snap some pics tonight.  For reference it's a Spikes Elite 14.5" midlenght with a Daniel Defense Lite 9 rail.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Looking forward to seeing it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As the title says, I would love to see a picture. I know that it's pretty specific, but I'm trying to decide between govt profile barrel and the LW profile barrel.

Yes, I am making a loose clone of the BCM EAG.
View Quote

Larue makes excellent products, but frankly their rail is not one of them.  It is heavy and the design is out dated.

There are better, lighter, less expensive options out there now.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#17]
LaRue is still among the best if you want four rails.

I use Centurions a lot because they go on without removing the muzzle device.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Here she is:

Spikes Elite 14.5" midlength.  ADCO just installed the Daniel Defense Lite 9" rail, cut off the Dynacomp, and perm installed the AAC 18 tooth flash hider/suppressor mount.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't want to call it negligible, it's probably close to a quarter pound.
View Quote

Now add the weight of a front sight back into the equation. Now you are more than likely heavier that the A2 FSB.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:02:57 AM EDT
[#20]
A DD front sight is just over an ounce.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top