Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/5/2014 7:46:39 PM EDT
I'll start.
I wanted something to squeeze out a little accuracy for punching paper at longer distances.
I don't have a lot of $$ to blow on fun stuff at the moment, so I set out to build up a budget minded SPR-ish type build.
So here is what I put together.........
Palmetto blem lower
Rock River LPK (minus fcg)
Geissele G2S Trigger
Anderson stripped upper
Rock River BCG and upper build kit
Extended charging handle latch from amazon (cheap)
Green Mountain 18" fluted 1/8 stainless barrel rifle length gas
YHM low pro gas block and rifle length gas tube
Muzzle device is a random comp I got off amazon a couple years ago that just sat in a box
Primary Arms 4-14 x 44 FFP optic with PA Mount
UTG PRO 15" Super Slim Free Float Rail
Magpul Gen 2 BUIS
Magpul STR buttstock
Umbrella Corp Grip
Random Buffer tube with carbine buffer
Damage Ind Black buffer spring
UTG Bipod
Total build cost around $1100

Sorry for my newbness, trying to figure out how to embed pictures
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I have built several lowers, but have always used completed uppers. This was my first complete build.
Living in an apartment, I don't really have a work space, so I fashioned a way to hold my vise by clamping it down to a steel table made to hold a bench grinder.
Had a buddy come over to give me a hand and with very few hiccups  had it done in under 45 minutes.
We headed to the range and were putting lead downrange in under 30 minutes.

I was working on some 75gr loads for another rifle, so I thought I would see how they work out in this.
I used 22.5gr of IMR 8208XBR and Hornady 75gr BTHP projectiles in PMC brass.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#2]
First order of business was to zero the BUIS, since once the optic was installed, I had no plans of taking it off unless absolutely necessary.
I decided to zero the buis with my favorite factory ammo. PMC Xtac 55gr.
Had it zerod in a few shots for 50 yards.

As seen in the photo, first shots were low and slightly left.
2 clicks down on the front post and 1 click right and it was gtg.
I had preset the scope into the mount by carefully clamping my bare upper into a vise and leveling that, then leveling the scope inside of the mount. Optic clamp screws were torqued and loctited with blue loctite.
Now time to mount the optic to the built rifle.
Had brought my torque wrench and loctite to the range. Mounted and loctited, time to zero.

First group shot like this at 50 yards.......

Made a small adjustment and took it out to 100 yards.

100 yards group looks identical to the 50 yard group. Funny.

Started working on 5 and 10 shot groups.
100 yards

So suffice to say, I think it about a 1moa shooter. Not bad. I think it will get even better as I get acclimated to it and work up some proper loads.

So lets see your Budget SPR type builds!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Can't hot link on the iPotato
http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=446753

How's the PA 4-14? I'd like one for a SPR

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh thanks!
I didn't even see that!
I am really loving the PA 4-14
It is amazing for the price. I'm blown away by it.
It really fit into my current budget, truly, it was the only option for me anywhere near that price range and is packed full of all the features I desired.
I've only had it out twice, so time will tell. But I have been very happy with what I have seen from PA in general. the FFP really sealed the deal for me.
Now just trying to acquaint myself with wrapping my head around the MIL turrets and making compensations at different distances.
I think I just about have it down now.
Next sunday I will move it out to 200 yards and not too long from then I am hitting up a 300 yard range.
I hear there is a 500 or 600 yard range an hour or two away. Will need to hit that up soon as well.
I'm creating a dope sheet for different loads and distances, yet trying to maintain the ZERO settings on the turrets for my go to ammo.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:15:09 PM EDT
[#5]
S&W Sport

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice Fuzzy.
What optic is that?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:37:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice Fuzzy.
What optic is that?
View Quote

Looks like the Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44

I thought that logo looked familiar I just bought a viper 1-4pst for my Recce.  I'm falling in love with vortex very fast.

100yards.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:19:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I have yet to be able to build a "budget SPR" rifle.
I bought a PSA that was to be one, that project snowballed when I replaced the PTAC barrel.
So, Noveske Rogue barrel, Larue 12.5", Geissele SSA trigger, BCM bolt carrier group, Griffin device.
Shown with a M4s, will get another pic up with glass

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have yet to be able to build a "budget SPR" rifle.

I bought a PSA that was to be one, that project snowballed when I replaced the PTAC barrel.

So, Noveske Rogue barrel, Larue 12.5", Geissele SSA trigger, BCM bolt carrier group, Griffin device.

Shown with a M4s, will get another pic up with glass

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/PSA%20Mutt/DSC03156.jpg
View Quote

Nice stick.

How does it shoot?

I'll concur with his statement. I started with a "cheap SPR", which also evolved into one expensive stick. I don't want to even think about how much I have in it. However, I do love it, and it's a shooter!

When it was "cheap", before optics:

Now:

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top