Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/14/2014 6:48:39 PM EDT
ok so i have my $1.300 bcm spikes custom build but i dont really want to throw it behind my seat and forget it, i want a $500-$750 K.I.S.S rife to be in the truck and left there at all times any ideas what would be best i just want something that if i needed it to it would protect me home to get the go to gun but is reliable so if theres no getting home i can depend on it in a SHTF, any opinions welcome thanks
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:01:26 PM EDT
[#1]
This:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/rifle-kits/blemished-16-hammer-forged-mid-length-rifle-kit.html

and this:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/10445/category/4282/

Less than $600 and it isn't their PTAC line.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Friend of mine wanted me to build an AR for him if I could do it cheaper than the S & W AR he had an add for.
$549.
I told him to buy it. Unless I built it out of junk, I couldn't touch it and he would have a factory warranty.

Dave N
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#4]
thats pretty good with it being CHF to
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I present to you... the perfect... Truck Gun:

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#6]
The AR market is in the tank right now.  While that's bad for sellers, it's great for bargain hunters--if you're not afraid of the used gun market.
I've picked up two second-hand, but lightly-used rifles for unpassable prices in the last few weeks--and they were both built on top-notch components (one on a Noveske upper assembly, the other a Larue Stealth).  I've passed up Bushmasters and Windhams in the $600-650 range--again, in very nice condition.

You can build something if you like (the PSA links above should work fine), but if you watch local ads (you'll find fewer bargains on major sites like GunBroker) and keep cash on hand, you may find something you like nearby.  A benefit of this may be that in Alabama (like in PA), I believe you can do a face-to-face transfer between private citizens and keep it off your local dealer's books.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#8]
long barrel .44
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I built mine, kinda. I bought a SP1 minus receiver and LPK on the EE and put it on a STAG receiver I had sitting around. I also put a set of Lone Star handguards that came from the EE. I have about $550 in it.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All due respect, I have to disagree.  Nice basic KISS carbine, but...

1)  if I have to use an AR without optics, I want as much sight radius as feasible for the bbl length --  a Dissipator-style setup works very well in that regard; and

2)  if I have to use an unsuppressed AR, I want a muzzle device that redirects blast and noise away from me to an extent (i.e., the KX3), and

3)  I personally insist on a mounted light on any defensive long gun (left in a vehicle or not).

JMHO, of course, and there is nothing wrong with yours... but "perfect" is a bold claim.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

1)  if I have to use an AR without optics, I want as much sight radius as feasible for the bbl length --  a Dissipator-style setup works very well in that regard; and

2)  if I have to use an unsuppressed AR, I want a muzzle device that redirects blast and noise away from me to an extent (i.e., the KX3), and

3)  I personally insist on a mounted light on any defensive long gun (left in a vehicle or not).

JMHO, of course, and there is nothing wrong with yours... but "perfect" is a bold claim.

Pretty much correct on all counts. I should have said the Perfect Truck Gun (for my intended purposes).
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#11]
A truck gun is a beat up old (pre buy out) Remington 870 pump shotgun with an 18 to 22" open choke rifle sighted barrel, extended mag with a good selection of Brenneke slugs and Federal Flite Control 00B.  Side saddle with six more rounds.  Tactical light is optional, but highly useful, as is a simple two point sling.  An AR 15 is a step down for that mission.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:21:36 PM EDT
[#13]
For a truck gun id build an SBR (or pistol w/ sig brace if you dont want to tax stamp it or if you're in CA like me) in my opinion a truck gun needs to be as compact as possible. I'd build mine with mostly BCM parts
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:25:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Hey.  I should get one of those...

They are pretty great, and it is exactly what I built mine for.  It is a great truck/camper rifle.  

Coming soon in suppressed...

ETA:  Pic whore
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:29:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A truck gun is a beat up old (pre buy out) Remington 870 pump shotgun with an 18 to 22" open choke rifle sighted barrel, extended mag with a good selection of Brenneke slugs and Federal Flite Control 00B.  Side saddle with six more rounds.  Tactical light is optional, but highly useful, as is a simple two point sling.  An AR 15 is a step down for that mission.
View Quote

This... I carry my 870 more often than my AR.  I can put 15 rounds in the air with a 3" 00, 9 with a 2 3/4", I can run a slug or whatever.  The 870 is about 500 with a few add ons and I can do everything I need with it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:53:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They are pretty great, and it is exactly what I built mine for.  It is a great truck/camper rifle.  

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h385/alaskaLTZ/DSC_7167_zps6c9ba405.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That one over there......no THAT one.....the block 2ish mk 18ish sexyish as fuckish one. Gimme
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:09:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No.  Just no.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  Just no.

Yes, Yes.  Yes!
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:12:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That one over there......no THAT one.....the block 2ish mk 18ish sexyish as fuckish one. Gimme
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMO a good truck gun is a 16" pinned rifle (14.5" or 14.7") or smaller.  Pistol would be a good choice as far as simple, small, and no tax stamp.  Aero has a nice 7.5" 'or even a 10.5" and AIM has uppers fairly cheap as well.  Throw a handguard on there and get a PSA lower with build kit mins FCG.  Get a ALG trigger and a RRA or other pistol buffer tube and a SigTac brace.  All these items can be had on sale or fairly cheap if you shop around (especially on the EE).  Should be able to throw one together for around $500-600 depending on how you outfit it.  Get a good light to keep on you and you're in business.

My pistol (not trunk gun)-

My trunk gun (14.5" pinned to 16)-

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree on the shotgun with a tactical barrel and light.  Its cheap enough to replace if it gets stolen, you can use it with slugs for precision shots, or 00 for lead spread.  Not to mention you can keep a shotgun in the fight with tactical reloads and not have to worry about loading magazines.  Perfection if it says Glock on the stock.

EDIT:
If you are unduly restricted by law, I would go with a CCW + 5.56 Pistol & Sig Brace as my first choice then.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:25:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:35:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Perhaps you can engage multiple targets accurately at disparate distances faster with an 870 than with an AR.  I know that I cannot, and I grew up with an 870 in my hands, have more than a dozen of them.

A "get-home rifle" (my primary concern/role for a long gun that resides in one of my vehicles f/t, regardless of what else I've used them for over the years) may be called upon to do just that IMO.

Truth be told,  I usually have an 870 in the vehicle as well... but, unless I need to bring down some birds, I'll always grab the AR first because I know how much more I am capable of with it.

YMMV.

(Besides... the OP specified "rifle" in his question. )

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  Just no.

Yes, Yes.  Yes!

Perhaps you can engage multiple targets accurately at disparate distances faster with an 870 than with an AR.  I know that I cannot, and I grew up with an 870 in my hands, have more than a dozen of them.

A "get-home rifle" (my primary concern/role for a long gun that resides in one of my vehicles f/t, regardless of what else I've used them for over the years) may be called upon to do just that IMO.

Truth be told,  I usually have an 870 in the vehicle as well... but, unless I need to bring down some birds, I'll always grab the AR first because I know how much more I am capable of with it.

YMMV.

(Besides... the OP specified "rifle" in his question. )

Good points!  But if you shoot a slug in a shot gun, does that make it a rifle?  
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:46:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I wholeheartedly agree. I'd also add lightweight to that list, as there's no need for 9lb+ rifle in that situation.

And to answer your question OP; build it but keep in mind that cheap ain't always the best option. If you're keeping it in a vehicle for the sole purpose of defense, don't be stingy.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:04:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I could travel confidently with either one!

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 6:43:25 AM EDT
[#24]
I think it's a waste and illogical to keep an NFA gun in your trunk.  Leaving a gun in your car has a place, but there is a sizable chance it could get stolen.  

At the end of the day, a trunk gun is one I would not lose sleep over being stolen.  Losing an NFA gun would be .... upsetting.

Really I'd just try to keep it to a certain price - like less than $500-700.  If over time I could add a PA Red Dot, Inexpensive light and sling ... I would.  With prices where they are - getting all this with an AR or AK pattern rifle for under $700 is doable - especially getting used stuff.

A buddy of mine just got a new Mossberg AR15 with a rail (alum lower; 1:9 16", non-chrome) for $499 from cheaper than dirt.  Add a PA Red Dot and mount ($100), Sling ($20) and you still have $75 to find a light and be at $700.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:25:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#26]
I just got done putting together my truck gun and she ain't no beater rifle. I had a Colt SOCOM upper in like new condition with BCG AND CH, I added a PSA blem complete lower for $129.99 and I had enough leftover to buy a Big Sky Rack for it that came out of a cop car. Nobody is getting their hands on this rifle!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I just got done putting together my truck gun and she ain't no beater rifle. I had a Colt SOCOM upper in like new condition with BCG AND CH, I added a PSA blem complete lower for $129.99 and I had enough leftover to buy a Big Sky Rack for it that came out of a cop car. Nobody is getting their hands on this rifle!!!!!

<a href="http://s132.photobucket.com/user/NCHornet/media/0920141254_zps8b7a7800.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q32/NCHornet/0920141254_zps8b7a7800.jpg</a>
View Quote

That is a nice install!
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:07:22 AM EDT
[#28]
While I think a "truck" or "trunk" gun could be a handy thing to be able to go back to in a tough spot farther from home my number one consideration would be; how to secure it?

Hiding it behind the seat would be just the start, need some sort of locking device.

What would your considerations and ways to secure it be? Any examples?

Example: What is that rack in the picture posting just two postings up? That looks good for security.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#31]
I guess I am the heretic here. I will stick with my Mini in a BC folder for my truck gun.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:47:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Not to hijack, but can someone define "truck gun" for me? A gun that accompanies your GHB or for use if you hit a deer?  Just curious.  I work on a Naval Base, so a GHB gun is not in the cards for me.  I really wish I could keep a carbine or or 870 in a case in my truck.  I believe I would take it out everynight though....
Nice
My next build...Looking for a CH upper....

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s132.photobucket.com/user/NCHornet/media/0920141254_zps8b7a7800.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q32/NCHornet/0920141254_zps8b7a7800.jpg</a>
View Quote

That's a nice-looking installation.
With a lot of racks, the weak point is the lock itself and I can't find any lock specs on the Big Sky website.  Do you know if their locks are bump proof...or are they standard pin and tumbler?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#34]
"Technically speaking, a truck gun can be any firearm legally stored in a vehicle and on-hand in case of an emergency."" Said crisis could be anything from the benign task of putting down a road-injured animal to the extreme situation of fighting your way home if the seams of society suddenly come undone."

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Ar15-  90rds of 5.56 or .223 is 3 mags.  
Shotgun- 90rds of 12ga equals 90 shells.... that's a LOT of shells.

Aples to apples- 1 30rd mag is still going to be 30 shells.  

In a urban environment a smaller rifle would be easier to conceal until needed.  A 7.5" AR with a 20rd mag and a 30 or 40rd mag in your bag would be easier to hide.

PSA lower or Anderson lower - $50-60
LPK-  $70
Pistol buffer tube- $30
Exile machine rubber cover- $15
Buffer and spring- $50 (springco blue and STT2 buffer)
Anderson Sport upper (no forward assist, dust cover) - $40
Charging handle - $20
AIM Surplus BCG-  $80
Aero 7.5" barrel-  $150
Gas block- $30
Pistol gas tube- $12
UTG Carbine slimline rail- $110
MBUS sight set - $80 (EE used set average cost)

$747

For a complete Pistol build.  You could shop around and wait for sales (ie black friday) and probably shave $50-60 off of that price.  Good parts that should get you home to your better rifles and preps.

You could also shop around and find a cheaper barrel or buy a 10.5" Aero 10.5" Aero Barrel with FSB $182.75barrel with FSB for about $30 more and run regular drop in plastic handguard and only a rear sight or carry handle (around $35-60) needs bought.  With that config it should be slightly under $700.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Ar15-  90rds of 5.56 or .223 is 3 mags.  
Shotgun- 90rds of 12ga equals 90 shells.... that's a LOT of shells.

Aples to apples- 1 30rd mag is still going to be 30 shells.  

In a urban environment a smaller rifle would be easier to conceal until needed.  A 7.5" AR with a 20rd mag and a 30 or 40rd mag in your bag would be easier to hide.

PSA lower or Anderson lower - $50-60
LPK-  $70
Pistol buffer tube- $30
Exile machine rubber cover- $15
Buffer and spring- $50 (springco blue and STT2 buffer)
Anderson Sport upper (no forward assist, dust cover) - $40
Charging handle - $20
AIM Surplus BCG-  $80
Aero 7.5" barrel-  $150
Gas block- $30
Pistol gas tube- $12
UTG Carbine slimline rail- $110
MBUS sight set - $80 (EE used set average cost)

$747

For a complete Pistol build.  You could shop around and wait for sales (ie black friday) and probably shave $50-60 off of that price.  Good parts that should get you home to your better rifles and preps.

You could also shop around and find a cheaper barrel or buy a 10.5" Aero 10.5" Aero Barrel with FSB $182.75barrel with FSB for about $30 more and run regular drop in plastic handguard and only a rear sight or carry handle (around $35-60) needs bought.  With that config it should be slightly under $700.

View Quote

Those are good points, but don't forget with 00 buck shot you have multiple .30 cal projectiles flying in the air at the same time.  In a gunfight if you are shooting 90 rounds, how many of them do you think would hit the threat?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

With a lot of racks, the weak point is the lock itself and I can't find any lock specs on the Big Sky website.  Do you know if their locks are bump proof...or are they standard pin and tumbler?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rack I used above is made by Big Sky, mine came out of a cop car if that tells you anything. It is built like a freaking tank. The lock is very robust and there is no way anyone is getting this rifle unless they have a lot of time and a lot of tools, and that is all I am going to say about that, lol!!!!!    For details on the lock contact them, they do offer a standard key, a cuff key, and a barrel key. Mine has the barrel key and that is the one I would choose as it is the hardest to duplicate. I had to go to multiple locksmiths before I found someone who could make a duplicate. Cuff keys are very easy to obtain, way to easy for me to trust.  I live in one of the safest cities in the country, but that doesn't matter, leaving any firearm unsecured in a vehicle isn't responsible. There are several companies making solid racks, if money is tight order a good pair of handcuffs, one cuf around the seat post and the other through the trigger guard or other location. I did this for years with a pistol and never had an issue with theft. If someone really wants it, they will get it, but hopefully someone will notice them doing it before they are successful. You need to make the decision yourself on just how secure is secure.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Build one to you liking, its fun.

A10.5'' pistol is handy inside a vehicle.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#40]
ok so I got a killer deal on a lower the finish is rough but who cares so I want to build a upper or buy one can I legally build a 14.5 upper and weld and pin it myself or would I have to go 16
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Right now, Delton has a pinned 14.7 rifle kit for $460 with free shipping. Stripped lowers can be found for $39 if you look. Total price would be $499. Tough to beat...
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#42]
I just picked up a completed lower so I just need to work out a upper
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:34:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
ok so I got a killer deal on a lower the finish is rough but who cares so I want to build a upper or buy one can I legally build a 14.5 upper and weld and pin it myself or would I have to go 16
View Quote

Yes, you can legally purchase a 14.5 upper, and pin/weld that thing yourself.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:20:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Build one to you liking, its fun.

A10.5'' pistol is handy in side a vehicle.

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag1/bradwd/IMG_0005_zps7cfb1f0a.jpg
View Quote

+1. That would be my choice. For all intent and purpose regarding being a "truck gun", its just as effective as a SBR. But without nearly the risk concerning theft.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
ok so i have my $1.300 bcm spikes custom build but i dont really want to throw it behind my seat and forget it, i want a $500-$750 K.I.S.S rife to be in the truck and left there at all times any ideas what would be best i just want something that if i needed it to it would protect me home to get the go to gun but is reliable so if theres no getting home i can depend on it in a SHTF, any opinions welcome thanks
View Quote

Go with a Spikes from AIM or a Freedom model from PSA.  You'll be very happy either way.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top