Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/9/2014 1:01:10 AM EDT
Long day at the range! This was my first time shooting a rifle, whether AR15 or otherwise. I have a few years of experience shooting handguns. I thought it was time I try an AR out. The 25-yard range I was planning on going to makes you buy their "special" ammunition. I buy ammo in bulk so I can avoid paying inflated prices at the range. So I wound up making the 2-hour hike out to an outdoor range that goes out to 50/100 yards and shot my very first AR (first rifle period, for that matter) at the 50-yard line.

Here's the rifle: Noveske 16" Gen III.

Ammo was Federal/Lake City XM193, 55gr.

Without worrying about trying to zero the iron sights, I decided to just see what would happen. Here's my very first 10 rounds ever.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:01:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I then put up one of the 50-yard zero targets. Looks like a similar group.

Adjusted the sights a little bit. I could adjust windage on the rear sight, no problem. But the front sight proved very difficult to adjust. I couldn't get a bullet tip or anything down into it to turn it. So I couldn't adjust elevation. I wound up having to just do "hold unders" all day. I will have to buy one of those tools to adjust the front elevation.

Groups:

Last group of the day. I think I was getting tired at this point. Group opened up a lot.

Here's what the cardboard looked like by the end of the day. I think I shot about 150-200 rounds.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:02:10 AM EDT
[#2]
So... I don't know how this is supposed to look. I tried shooting with the stock at different positions to see what worked and what didn't. I think I liked it either at the 2nd to last notch or one in from there. Nose definitely wasn't anywhere near the charging handle. And the angle of the pistol grip is very painful on my wrist (I was shooting at a bench, the range doesn't allow standing or prone). No bags or anything. I propped up the rifle on some wood blocks that were covered in carpet that the range had. So how's it look? Good? Bad? Any way to tell what I can do to improve by just looking at the groups, like you can with a handgun?

Honestly, I couldn't even see the target really. Just had to position the sights where I thought was maybe possibly kinda sorta the bullseye. But I had a lot of fun!
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:02:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Also, why aren't my photos showing up? When I hit preview, the photos are embedded. But when I hit post, they just appear as links.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:03:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also, why aren't my photos showing up? When I hit preview, the photos are embedded. But when I hit post, they just appear as links.
View Quote

They need 3 Team member to click approve.  I hit it for you

Congrats, keep it up
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:25:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Congrats on picking up a quality rifle the first time around and are more than acceptable for a first timer..With a little more practice, you'll shrink the group size in no time at all as long as you keep at it. Try to see if there's an Appleseed anywhere in your area. Will help you with the fundamentals of rifle shooting.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 2:21:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks :) There is an Appleseed course sort of nearby in December. I'm not sure what it is though. I don't really have a lot of the gear they suggest you bring though. Just a rifle and some mags. And ear/eye protection of course.

And I have no car. So I can't really haul lots of gear and bags and stuff around with me.

Maybe I can rent a car or something if I'm doing a special event though.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#7]
That's a damn good start!
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I then put up one of the 50-yard zero targets. Looks like a similar group.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/312/d/a/group_2_by_haftelm-d85rqqz.jpg

Adjusted the sights a little bit. I could adjust windage on the rear sight, no problem. But the front sight proved very difficult to adjust. I couldn't get a bullet tip or anything down into it to turn it. So I couldn't adjust elevation. I wound up having to just do "hold unders" all day. I will have to buy one of those tools to adjust the front elevation.

Groups:

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/312/3/6/group_1_2_3_by_haftelm-d85rqqy.jpg

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/312/9/a/group_4_5_by_haftelm-d85rqqc.jpg

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/312/9/b/group_6_7_by_haftelm-d85rqq8.jpg

Last group of the day. I think I was getting tired at this point. Group opened up a lot.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/312/e/0/last_group_by_haftelm-d85rqqh.jpg

Here's what the cardboard looked like by the end of the day. I think I shot about 150-200 rounds.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/312/d/b/target_back_by_haftelm-d85rqqk.jpg
View Quote
I wouldn't spend any money on a front site tool. Just use a nail.

Nice start!
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#9]
First time with a rifle.... Excellent shooting. You bought a nice stick, went to a nice range, and posted nice results. I'd say with a bit more time behind the trigger of that thing you will be dropping pill on top of pill at that range. I'd say you are well on your way. Excellent post and pics too by the way.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:I wouldn't spend any money on a front site tool. Just use a nail.    Nice start!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:I wouldn't spend any money on a front site tool. Just use a nail.    Nice start!

Well the problem is that, while I can depress the detent in the front sight, there's no way to rotate the post. There is no gap between the the notches in the post and the wall of the sight body. So a nail wouldn't do anything. I would need three hands and two nails to do it. A site tool should work much easier, no? I don't want to be fiddling with this thing for 10 minutes to make an adjustment. I just want it to work.

Quoted:
First time with a rifle.... Excellent shooting. You bought a nice stick, went to a nice range, and posted nice results. I'd say with a bit more time behind the trigger of that thing you will be dropping pill on top of pill at that range. I'd say you are well on your way. Excellent post and pics too by the way.

Thanks! I can't wait to go shooting again. I might invest in a better butt plate for the stock though. My shoulder took a beating.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice rifle!
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#12]
To adjust the front sight a small pair of needle nose pliers also works. It will adjust one click at a time but it will do the job.

The tool is nice to have and really should have been included for such an expensive rifle if it was new. Heck, Magpul includes it when you buy their basic sights so a Noveske really should have had one with it... I would be calling asking why it wasn't included.

You did a great job first time out & I hope you enjoyed yourself!
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Well the problem is that, while I can depress the detent in the front sight, there's no way to rotate the post. There is no gap between the the notches in the post and the wall of the sight body. So a nail wouldn't do anything. I would need three hands and two nails to do it. A site tool should work much easier, no? I don't want to be fiddling with this thing for 10 minutes to make an adjustment. I just want it to work.
Thanks! I can't wait to go shooting again. I might invest in a better butt plate for the stock though. My shoulder took a beating.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm. It sure what kind of front site post you have but even in the Army we used a nail half the time. Press in the detent and rotate one notch at a time with the nail.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Good start.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Heck of a nice first rifle, OP! Work on your fundamentals, shrink those groups down a bit, and then move up to an optic. Either an ACOG of some sort or a 1-4x would look right at home on that Noveske.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#17]
No car, but buys a Noveske Rifle....now that's a man who has his priorities straight, I salute you.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No car, but buys a Noveske Rifle....now that's a man who has his priorities straight, I salute you.
View Quote

LOL.

OP,   U DUN REEL GOOD.  

I don't know, to me that's not that bad of shooting given the conditions.  If you put bags under your front and rear it would make it a little more stable if you're wanting to get smaller groups.  And yeah, focus on the front sight, the rear and the target will be blurry.  How blurry all depends on how good your eyes are.  

There is two kinds of shooting.  Shooting for groups, and just normal ole shooting.  Out in the world, if we're hunting or God forbid having some kind of terrible encounter, shooting for groups doesn't mean a whole lot other than that it allows you to learn to focus on the basics.  Sight alignment, breath control, trigger control, follow through and all the other stuff.  Which I'm no expert on any of it, so take it fwiw.

And then transitioning to other positions that might serve us better when we're not at the range.  Prone, sitting, kneeling and standing.   Then you just have to pick your purpose for the weapon.  If you're wanting to shoot prairie dogs at 400 yards, well, you've got quite a bit of work to do.  If you're just having fun and looking to have a rifle for that hopefully that never happens "Oh S*&^" scenario, then you're probably good to go and need to work on shooting away from the bench.  

Shooting for groups also allows you to test what ammo is good in your rifle, or the true capabilities of your rifle with certain ammo.  I find this type of shooting infinitely relaxing and fun and all that.   But I doubt it makes me a better shooter for practical purposes.  Well maybe a little.    Like someone said, an Appleseed is probably a good place for that though.  

OK, I've rambled enough.  That is a nice AR

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:23:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Nice rifle and shooting!
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:56:22 PM EDT
[#21]
That's better than my first time out Good shootin'
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:58:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Im pretty sure the fact that you have no car but have a Noveske means we might be relatives.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:58:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
To adjust the front sight a small pair of needle nose pliers also works. It will adjust one click at a time but it will do the job.

The tool is nice to have and really should have been included for such an expensive rifle if it was new. Heck, Magpul includes it when you buy their basic sights so a Noveske really should have had one with it... I would be calling asking why it wasn't included.

You did a great job first time out & I hope you enjoyed yourself!
View Quote

Hmm, I might just contact them. Although a sight tool wasn't included, what was included was:

A lollipop with a scorpion in it.
A Noveske hat
Keymod quick-detach sling mount
Quick detach sling rings
Various fore and back straps for the pistol grip
A set of Keymod hand guard plates with hand stop

Honestly, I'm not using any of that stuff at the moment though. A front sight tool would have been nice.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:01:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hah! I had a car when I moved here. But sold it because living in a big city... don't really need a car. And paying to park it was just stupid expensive. I do miss driving though...
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:06:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:There is two kinds of shooting.  Shooting for groups, and just normal ole shooting.  Out in the world, if we're hunting or God forbid having some kind of terrible encounter, shooting for groups doesn't mean a whole lot other than that it allows you to learn to focus on the basics.  Sight alignment, breath control, trigger control, follow through and all the other stuff.  Which I'm no expert on any of it, so take it fwiw.

And then transitioning to other positions that might serve us better when we're not at the range.  Prone, sitting, kneeling and standing.   Then you just have to pick your purpose for the weapon.  If you're wanting to shoot prairie dogs at 400 yards, well, you've got quite a bit of work to do.  If you're just having fun and looking to have a rifle for that hopefully that never happens "Oh S*&^" scenario, then you're probably good to go and need to work on shooting away from the bench.  

Shooting for groups also allows you to test what ammo is good in your rifle, or the true capabilities of your rifle with certain ammo.  I find this type of shooting infinitely relaxing and fun and all that.   But I doubt it makes me a better shooter for practical purposes.  Well maybe a little.    Like someone said, an Appleseed is probably a good place for that though.  

OK, I've rambled enough.  That is a nice AR

View Quote

Unfortunately, where I am you're only allowed to shoot from a bench. There are no ranges that have metal targets set up, or gongs, or any type of interesting "course". All the rifle shooting is done from a bench and you can only shoot paper. It's kinda lame.

I'd love to do more engaging stuff out in the woods or whatever. With various types of targets at various distances. But there's nowhere to do that where I am.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:08:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Im pretty sure the fact that you have no car but have a Noveske means we might be relatives.
View Quote

lol I had a car at one point. Kinda wish I still had it. :(

But I sold a guitar to buy this Noveske. '84 Les Paul Custom Silverburst.

Here's a group shot with my 1911 (which I have much more experience shooting]:

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Good job. Keep shooting.

Nail is what I used in s pinch on Army ranges.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:36:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice guns and guitar...wish I was around when you sold it.  Very respectable battery you have going.
I am stealing your zip tie chamber flag idea.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Nice guns and guitar...wish I was around when you sold it.  Very respectable battery you have going.
I am stealing your zip tie chamber flag idea.
View Quote

lol that's actually the range's doing. They have zip ties at all the benches because people rarely bring their own chamber flags.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top