Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/15/2014 5:36:13 PM EDT
Ok ok. I know "this vs that brand" threads are a dime a dozen. And I've been reading tons of them tying to research. But I can't seem to get these two particular AR's out of my mind.

I've narrowed it down to these two choices mainly because my LGS has both in stock and I've been able to fondle them recently. Here's the dilemma: Daniel Defense MK12 vs Knights Armament SR-15 "mod 2". The price difference is negligible between the two. Basically $2k each (a little under for one, a little over for the other).  I want a high end AR that's going to be accurate, durable, a joy to shoot, and will hold its value over time. So what's the right call between these two?  They're both awesome.

A little background:  I used to have a Rock River Predator Pursuit. LOVED the accuracy and reliability, didn't really dig the weight. I now have an M&P-15 Sport that I've dressed up with a quad rail, eotech, match trigger, and new furniture. It's a wonderful weapon but it's not exactly "high-end". The fact is, I recently came to a place where I have the cash to spend on a really nice, high quality AR and I simply want one. It's really as simple as that!  So between the two I've narrowed it down to, does anyone have any opinions??
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Prepare for responses overwhelming in favor of the KAC.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Hahah.... Sweet. I'm kind "leaning" that way. The DD was a slow-burn for me. I kept going back to it mentally because at $1900 it's a good deal. But the KAC...I had an immediate "emotional" response when I handled that one!  I mean that in such a way that the gun just FELT soooo right in my hands. I had to set it down so as not to make an impulse purchase!  :)
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're willing to spend the coin, KAC all day.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#4]
KAC has been around and has been in the pocket of uncle sugar for a long time.  I think very highly of th Knight family and would love to learn 1/100th of what they know about how to make a Stoner ar-15.

But.  

Daniel Defense seems to know what that are doing, and have been quietly building a great reputation for making quality ARs for many years.

KAC has a history, some proprietary parts, and a loyal following that, just a few years ago, were willing to pay stupid prices for what KAC makes readily available to John Q Public today.  

Compare that to DD, who is one of several vanilla manufacturers selling products at reasonable prices.

If you have a Gucci budget, get a CRANE (if you can  find one (ADCO) ) or MSTN custom.  If you don't want to do that, get both.  If you can't/ don't want to do that, read up on Kac's proprietary parts and decide if that helps or hurts their position, and decide accordingly.

To play devil's advocate:  have you heard of Noveske's 3  groove 1 in 8 twist barrels??
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Either would suit you very well! I picked up a Mod 2 upper for my Legacy lower.
It is phenomenal!

That being said..........you can get the job dome with a $1200 Bravo Company carbine as well
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Thread fail. No Pole and No Pics.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#7]
from a happy DD owner...KAC
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I have owned a DD M4V7 and  a Knights SR-15 mod1. They both shot  well but the KAC had a lot of benifit's for only and felt like a better value it also held its value muck better when I sold them. I am sure you have seen the comparison list's before, but here are some benefits of the kac
Kac micro flip sight's (very nice sights) make up for the price difference alone
Nice KAC 2 stage trigger
complete ambi lower, some people do not care but nice to have
LMT sopmod stock Is much nicer then the moe or new DD stock in IMHO
E3 Bolt, nice design never read on any issues shearing lugs
custom gas system, Not really needed but Some say it shoots smoother.
The Features outweigh the extra cost and KAC rifles are not as common as DD and seem to retain their value better.

I like dd and still have 2 of their barrels but with the cost being that close I would go KAC
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#9]
It sounds like you really want the KAC and you're trying to make yourself want the DD. You can't go wrong with either brand, but I have a feeling you'll regret not getting the SR15.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Get the KAC and dont look back! Its a plug and play optics ready carbine. The DD MK12ish rifle is nice but that seems more.like.SPR platform gun. My SR15 is the smoothest shooting AR I own and have yet to find anything else that rivals it in quality, durability, balance and resale value. Good luck with your decision
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:06:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

right. But the DD is a great rifle.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get the KAC and dont look back! Its a plug and play optics ready carbine. The DD MK12ish rifle is nice but that seems more.like.SPR platform gun. My SR15 is the smoothest shooting AR I own and have yet to find anything else that rivals it in quality, durability, balance and resale value. Good luck with your decision
View Quote

I'm glad you brought up optics. OP, you can essentially put any optic you want on the KAC. IE. magnified, RDS etc, but the DD MK12 is really only going to shine with a magnified optic. So while the rifles may be relatively close in cost it's going to take more to outfit one properly vs. the other.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#13]
KAC, for a ton of reasons, but not least of which you'll get your money back, even during Salad Days.

DD makes a good product, but if you don't own a KAC, that should be your first high end buy, before anything else.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It sounds like you really want the KAC and you're trying to make yourself want the DD. You can't go wrong with either brand, but I have a feeling you'll regret not getting the SR15.
View Quote

I think you hit the nail on the head. Like I said the KAC evoked an "emotional" response and I wanted to just take it home that minute!  But the DD sorta kept talking to me throughout the day. "On paper" the DD looks great, perhaps even better, because it's got the cold hammer-forged stainless steel barrel and Geissele trigger. Plus the new DD furniture is pretty cool, love the grip angle.

But dang, that KAC just wanted to go home with me!  Hahahaha
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Get both.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have owned a DD M4V7 and  a Knights SR-15 mod1. They both shot  well but the KAC had a lot of benifit's for only and felt like a better value it also held its value muck better when I sold them. I am sure you have seen the comparison list's before, but here are some benefits of the kac
Kac micro flip sight's (very nice sights) make up for the price difference alone
Nice KAC 2 stage trigger
complete ambi lower, some people do not care but nice to have
LMT sopmod stock Is much nicer then the moe or new DD stock in IMHO
E3 Bolt, nice design never read on any issues shearing lugs
custom gas system, Not really needed but Some say it shoots smoother.
The Features outweigh the extra cost and KAC rifles are not as common as DD and seem to retain their value better.

I like dd and still have 2 of their barrels but with the cost being that close I would go KAC
View Quote

DDMK12 comes with a Geissele SSA.

Everything else you said is spot on. And I am a DD lover.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Get both.
View Quote

This.........but get the Knights 1st!  ( . )( . )
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Not a true Mk12. Like, not even close. So don't let the "Mk12" designation lead you to believe you're getting something special. It's simply an 18" AR15 with a good trigger. No hate, just say'n.

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think you hit the nail on the head. Like I said the KAC evoked an "emotional" response and I wanted to just take it home that minute!  But the DD sorta kept talking to me throughout the day. "On paper" the DD looks great, perhaps even better, because it's got the cold hammer-forged stainless steel barrel and Geissele trigger. Plus the new DD furniture is pretty cool, love the grip angle.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A pistol grip is easy and inexpensive to change.  While the KAC has a CL barrel vs the SS in the Daniel Defense I think you will be happy with the accuracy you see from the KAC.  I have one of the older "Legacy" SR-15 and I've shot some sub MOA groups and it seem s to shoot right around 1 MOA with Mk262 ammo which is about as good as I seem to be able to do with any AR.  The barrel in my rifle is from Colt Canada and I believe the new Mod 2 barrels are made in house by KAC.  I don't know that the slight theoretical accuracy advantage of the DD outweighs the real advantages of the KAC.

The DD is a top end rifle and I don't think you would be disappointed with it but IMO the KAC offers much, much, more. A lot of R&D goes into KAC's guns and I've see them claim to shoot more test rounds than anyone, this lead to a lot of innovation, just look at the Mod 2 gas system.

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#20]
KAC.

The thought of the DD SPR being called a MK12 rustles my jimmies.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#21]
DD simply because it's not prop

I'd ditch both and get lwrc though
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#22]
KAC

<3 my SR15.

All other ARs I own or have shot have came up lacking in the shadow of my KAC. Yes its that damn good, IMO.

ETA: Not to say DD isnt squared away. They are. Great outfit Marty runs over there and much like KAC, I do favor them over others due to the number of parts being made in-house. Barrels being at the top of that list. If KAC was out of the equation Id take DD over all other 'mil-spec' manufacturers for that reason. Even over the almighty BCM. JMO.

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I think the KAC LPR is a closer comparison than the Mod 2 to the DD. Have you seen those?
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:51:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you're willing to spend the coin, KAC all day.
View Quote

All day, KAC.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:04:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I think the KAC LPR is a closer comparison than the Mod 2 to the DD.
View Quote

This.

These two rifles serve different purposes.

KAC and DD are two of the top black rifle companies around.

In this case, if you're looking for a more precision/bench/distance rifle, the DD would be my choice. If you're looking for a more multi purpose battle rifle, I'd opt for the Mod 2.

My personal choice would be to get both though.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 1:21:36 AM EDT
[#26]
I hope a good deal on a 11.5 KAC upper doesn't pop up...
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 1:23:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I think the KAC LPR is a closer comparison than the Mod 2 to the DD. Have you seen those?
View Quote

I agree. My LGS doesn't have the LPR though.  Honestly I'm thinking part of the reason I liked the KAC so much is that it really fits what I'm looking for.  Like I said it was only after I thought about it (and researched more online) that the added "accuracy features" of the DD started to look attractive.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 1:28:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

My LGS has the complete rifle (SBR). Can't recall the price but I fondled it as well. Too short for my needs but boy is it nice!  
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 1:29:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

My LGS has the complete rifle (SBR). Can't recall the price but I fondled it as well. Too short for my needs but boy is it nice!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am just glad to see you guys are able to finally possess them!  (WA native here)
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 1:36:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I am just glad to see you guys are able to finally possess them!  (WA native here)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha!  We'll see for how much longer. The Libs over in Seattle are starting to chip away at our gun rights here in WA. Huge victory for them recently with that ridiculous I-594 BS they voted for!  

Also meant to add it was a "CQB SBR" so yeah, 11.5 inches. Sweet little "handgun". :)
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Not a true Mk12. Like, not even close. So don't let the "Mk12" designation lead you to believe you're getting something special. It's simply an 18" AR15 with a good trigger. No hate, just say'n.

View Quote

Nope. It's not a Mk12 at all. They're just took the name and slapped it on a gun to get more sales and appeal.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Nope. It's not a Mk12 at all. They're just took the name and slapped it on a gun to get more sales and appeal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm. Good to know. I'm not sure what makes a MK12 a "true" version vs others. That being said DD does have a great reputation. It sounds from the replies so far though that KAC is a much more respected name in AR's. Pretty sure I'll be picking that bad boy to ASAP!
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Hmmm. Good to know. I'm not sure what makes a MK12 a "true" version vs others. That being said DD does have a great reputation. It sounds from the replies so far though that KAC is a much more respected name in AR's. Pretty sure I'll be picking that bad boy to ASAP!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at the mk12 thread for the specs. DD MK12 is their version, using DD equivalent parts.

It's really apples and oranges. The DD mk12 is more of a precision rig, the SR15 more of an all around "battle" rifle. A better comparison would be against one of the CMV barrel DDs.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a 650+ page thread if you want to acquaint yourself with the Mk12.  I wouldn't say KAC is much more respected but like I said in an earlier post, they are leader and innovators in the AR world. I can't see any scenario where you'll be disappointed in the KAC.

What optic do you plan on using (sorry if i missed it somewhere)?
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I wouldn't buy the DD "Mk 12" for the sole purpose of making a failtrain attempt to cash in on the Mk 12 hysteria and deliver a product that doesn't resemble it at all.

I like DD and KAC, but that was a Busch League move from DD that was all about duping the uninformed.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

There is a 650+ page thread if you want to acquaint yourself with the Mk12.  I wouldn't say KAC is much more respected but like I said in an earlier post, they are leader and innovators in the AR world. I can't see any scenario where you'll be disappointed in the KAC.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got an eotech 517 that's currently on my M&P. I'm planning on throwing that on the KAC with a 3x eotech magnifier. I'm open to suggestions though!
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#37]
KAC, great rifle.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#38]
No question, the KAC all the way! Here's a little montage to help inspire your decision!

SR-30 9.5"

SR-15 CQB SBR

SR-15 MOD 1

SR-15 LPR

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:30:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Definitely a vote for KAC.
I bought my first KAC rifle in May(SR15 Mod1), and I was so impressed I bought a second Mod1 a week after I received my first one.
I'm actually thinking about getting another Mod1 .... they are that good, go buy one

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:52:22 PM EDT
[#40]
My vote goes to KAC. It's not a Mod 2, but the mod 1 is still a bad ass rifle.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:15:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Was it a KAC 11.5 SBR rifle at our local LGS?

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#42]
I IM'd you...

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
from a happy DD owner...KAC
View Quote

I came here to post this. lol.

I love my DD rifles, but I'd love to have a KAC someday. And I'd definitely buy a KAC over a DD "mk12" anyday.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#44]
They are truly remarkable.......

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#45]
If you are looking for a TRUE MK12ish rifle, then neither of these actually come very close.

If you're looking for a very good general purpose rifle, then the KAC is better suited for that.

If you looking for more of a precision setup, then the Daniel Defense might be the better way to go.

Both are very good rifles aimed at slightly different target audiences.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Two great rifles you're looking at.

I prefer KAC due to what the rifle comes, and I prefer their proprietary parts.

Some people prefer mil-spec pattern parts, and like to add stuff over time.  If so, KAC isn't the right rifle for you!

You're picking from two of the best AR15 builders out there today, so either way you will get a great rifle.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#47]
I was also debating KAC or DD M4A1 and I chose KAC.  Very happy and glad I got the Knight's

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't think they make a better all around ar15 than the sr15.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#49]
You guys are killin me with all the KAC pics!

I've made up my mind for sure. As soon as I possibly can I'm walking in there with a wad of cash in my hand....and walking out with a KAC SR-15 mod2!
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#50]
I love my MOD 1, fantastic rifle.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top