Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/14/2015 3:56:04 AM EDT
Ok, getting into my first A2 build. Scored a RRA A2 stock and tube at a LGS for $20 today, but not spring.
I've never dabbled in rifles, always carbines. So please excuse the ignorance.
Looking online at springs:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/585274/wolff-extra-power-buffer-spring-ar-15
or
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTSLA501S&name=Spike's+Tactical+Mil.-Spec+17-7+Buffer+Spring&search=buffer+spring

I'd prefer to keep my business with the smaller guys like Aim, but if the Spikes won't work (only buffer spring they have!) I may have to go with Midway or Brownells.
Any other recommendations would be appreciated.
I also wanted to know...will a standard spikes buffer from a carbine work in a rifle config? I can't see why not...other than weight?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 4:50:51 AM EDT
[#1]
On a rifle buffer system, the buffer and spring are both longer than in a carbine system.  

If you use a rifle buffer or spring in a carbine tube then the bolt carrier will not be able to move all the way to the rear.  

If you use a carbine length buffer in a rifle length tube then the bolt carrier will not stop in time and the gas key will slam into the charging handle.  

If you use a carbine length spring in a rifle length tube then there won't be enough spring tension and the bolt will cycle too hard.

Rifle vs carbine buffer:
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 6:06:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, that's pretty much how I understood it to be.
Like I mentioned, I've never owned a rifle before and never built one either. Always carbines. I'm hoping this is going to be a smooth shooter!
Any leads on a decent spring/buffer?
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 7:49:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't really matter.  Rifle length systems are not all sensitive like carbine systems.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, that's pretty much how I understood it to be.
Like I mentioned, I've never owned a rifle before and never built one either. Always carbines. I'm hoping this is going to be a smooth shooter!
Any leads on a decent spring/buffer?
View Quote

A basic rifle buffer should work fine, as will a basic inexpensive spring.  My midlength gas system works great with a rife stock/buffer/spring.  I'm going to try a spring from Damage Industries, only because they have a rep for lasting longer than a generic spring.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top