Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/3/2016 5:02:57 PM EDT
Just wanted to make everyone aware the "Hammerhead Rifle Tool" will not fit over the KAK Shockwave buffer tube.  I bought the tool specifically to tighten the castle nut on my very first AR build.  I contacted the company that makes the tool recommending they add this info to their website so someone else doesn't spend money unnecessarily like I did.  Unfortunately they haven't responded and it seems they don't really update their website regularly anyhow.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#1]
those 12 dollar wrenches do a fine job.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#2]
It's for Mil Spec receiver extensions only, and it's a very nice tool.
It wasn't designed for aftermarket garbage like the shock wave.
You're going to have to use a standard receiver extension 3 prong wrench, get it as tight as you can.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:21:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 2:46:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

+1 Yep – cheapo TAPCO wrench (tool 0904, the one with the bottle opener on the end )
worked fine on the castle nut on my KAK Shockwave tube.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's for Mil Spec receiver extensions only, and it's a very nice tool.
You're going to have to use a standard receiver extension 3 prong wrench, get it as tight as you can.
View Quote

Yes, I suspect their target market did not include the odd pistol receiver extension.

I just used the Hammerhead for the first tiime, at a friends's house.  It's nice, I may have to add it to the collection
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

+1 Yep – cheapo TAPCO wrench (tool 0904, the one with the bottle opener on the end )
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use the $9 TAPCO wrench to tighten all my castle nuts, I was a bit skeptical since I own nothing TAPCO, but their castle nut wrench is great.

It also does not appear the Hammerhead is compatible with MAGPUL ASAP.

Quoted:

The Shockwave brace is not garbage, its much better than the sig brace.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I already ordered the TAPCO Multi-Tool.  Should be here in a few days.  BTW, Mr.M4A1, can you explain why you think the Shockwave tube is garbage?  Everyone else gives it rave reviews.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I already ordered the TAPCO Multi-Tool.  Should be here in a few days.  BTW, Mr.M4A1, can you explain why you think the Shockwave tube is garbage?  Everyone else gives it rave reviews.
View Quote

I think it's cheap junk...but I guess that's the best you can get for a "pistol build" right now.
It's not something I would use for anything serious, other than a range toy.
The stock is held it by a set screw, but the Shockwave itself doesn't have any threaded holes for the set screw to "set into".  The screw just binds into the bare metal of the tube (pretty shitty in my opinion).
At least they allow you to stake the castle nut, but good luck getting it to the proper torque since you can't use a good wrench (Hammerhead).
I had to install one for a family member that insisted that's what he wanted.  After installing, the first thing I though was: "what a pile of shit this thing is"
It would be a much improved design if they made it a mil spec size, and threaded the stock position holes so the stock lockup is much more secure.

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think it's cheap junk...but I guess that's the best you can get for a "pistol build" right now.
The stock is held it by a set screw, but the Shockwave itself doesn't have any threaded holes for the set screw to "set into".  The screw just binds into the bare metal of the tube (pretty shitty in my opinion).
At least they allow you to stake the castle nut, but good luck getting it to the proper torque since you can't use a good wrench (Hammerhead).
I had to install one for a family member that insisted that's what he wanted.  After installing, the first thing I though was: "what a pile of shit this thing is"
It would be a much improved design if they made it a mil spec size, and threaded the stock position holes so the stock lockup is much more secure.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WRONG!  The KAK receiver extension is a WELL designed tube specifically built for the Shockwave brace. Being that KAK HAD to base the diameter to the I.D. of the brace, they made it to where it would fit correctly! They also machined into the receiver extension a series of dimples for the screw on the Shockwave brace to interface with.

This review CLEARLY explains and shows detailed photos of the KAK tube and Shockwave Blade. LINK
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

WRONG!  The KAK receiver extension is a WELL designed tube specifically built for the Shockwave brace. Being that KAK HAD to base the diameter to the I.D. of the brace, they made it to where it would fit correctly! They also machined into the receiver extension a series of dimples for the screw on the Shockwave brace to interface with.

This review CLEARLY explains and shows detailed photos of the KAK tube and Shockwave Blade. LINK
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you actually installed one?  Have you seen how much of the scew goes into the dimples?   It barely rests on the very tip of the screw, they are very shallow.  Do these dimples somehow classify the screw not binding into bare metal?
Yeah, those dimples look very secure...good luck with that.  
Like I said... range toy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I use the DPMS tool for tightening my castle nuts.  It's a bit picky about castle nuts as it's cut to maximum specs.  It has a spot for your torque wrench.

Hammerhead seems nice, but I'm not dropping the extra cash on it when I've got a tool that works.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Has it been advertised or intended to be used as anything but?
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Have you actually installed one?  Have you seen how much of the scew goes into the dimples?   It barely rests on the very tip of the screw, they are very shallow.  Do these dimples somehow classify the screw not binding into bare metal?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I've installed one AND a Sig Brace using the Phase V receiver extension.

By far and away, the KAK & Shockwave is a MUCH better setup than the Sig Brace & Phase V tube!

And who in the hell is going to take an AR pistol into harms way? Hell yes it's a range toy!

If I'm going into harms way (and I DO!) I'm using my Duty AR!

Try calling the KAK receiver extension "garbage" on the AR Pistol forum. That's where I checked it out before ordering it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

By far and away, the KAK & Shockwave is a MUCH better setup than the Sig Brace & Phase V tube!

And who in the hell is going to take an AR pistol into harms way? Hell yes it's a range toy!

Try calling the KAK receiver extension "garbage" on the AR Pistol forum. That's where I checked it out before ordering it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good, so we agree then.
Some people do pistol builds to avoid the tax stamp and they want the pistol for HD, SHTF etc etc.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't put a brace on my pistols.  its a bigger waste of money than the hammerhead.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Good, so we agree then.
Some people do pistol builds to avoid the tax stamp and they want the pistol for HD, SHTF etc etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good, so we agree then.

The facts are this= The Blade is every bit as durable and firmly attached to the gun as a stock. You can crank the set screw tight so it is locked in so well the buffer tube or upper receiver would brake before the Blade would come loose.  More solidly locked on and durable than most adjustable stocks. If SHTF and the Blade needed to be used as a stock it would have no problem in that role ,even in a serious combat scenario.
Yes, it's  intended purpose besides being an arm brace is frankly to make pistols not look completely ridiculous having a goofy tube stuck out their butt. Most people would like to have their choice of stocks rather than being limited to the Blade on the rear of their gun but I do not think the Blades durability or usefulness is in question to anyone who has used one.
A range toy is a name people throw around but 99.9999% of us and our guns will never see a battle and if whatever gun you pick up fires a bullet when needed it is as good as the next.
If the Blade was originally made to fit a carbine tube and labeled as a STOCK I bet it would still be fairly popular in that role because of how light rugged and nice looking it is. Everyone with a $200 tax stamp is going to pick at it but it does not make the Blade ''junk'' just because it is an arm brace rather than a stock.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Very well put.

As I pointed out, the execution of the design is VERY GOOD! And questioning the design of the KAK receiver extension is BULL SHIT!

The design was specifically built to interface with the Shockwave Brace, and because of that the receiver extension HAD to be larger in diameter than a standard "pistol" receiver extension.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The facts are this= The Blade is every bit as durable and firmly attached to the gun as a stock. You can crank the set screw tight so it is locked in so well the buffer tube or upper receiver would brake before the Blade would come loose.  More solidly locked on and durable than most adjustable stocks. If SHTF and the Blade needed to be used as a stock it would have no problem in that role ,even in a serious combat scenario.
Yes, it's  intended purpose besides being an arm brace is frankly to make pistols not look completely ridiculous having a goofy tube stuck out their butt. Most people would like to have their choice of stocks rather than being limited to the Blade on the rear of their gun but I do not think the Blades durability or usefulness is in question to anyone who has used one.
A range toy is a name people throw around but 99.9999% of us and our guns will never see a battle and if whatever gun you pick up fires a bullet when needed it is as good as the next.
If the Blade was originally made to fit a carbine tube and labeled as a STOCK I bet it would still be fairly popular in that role because of how light rugged and nice looking it is. Everyone with a $200 tax stamp is going to pick at it but it does not make the Blade ''junk'' just because it is an arm brace rather than a stock.
View Quote

It's not the Blade itself I am referring to.  The "Blade" stock itself looks nice and seems fine.  I am referring to the way the blade is mounted to the Shockwave tube.  You're not going to convince very many people (except for fanboys like PursuitSS) that those shallow dimples with a set screw binding into the bare metal is going last in a "combat scenario"..  
Anyway, I'm just repeating myself now..
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#20]
shit, collapsible stocks break all the time mortaring, that's why procedure is to collapse before hand.

I have exp installing and running the SW/tube kit as well as multiple fixed and collapsible.

The SW tube and brace interface is more solidly supported than a milspec collapsible stock being currently issued to troops . The SW and tube will mortar with no ill effects.

I had issues with about 100 reloads.
I had trimmed the cases too long and when i applied crimp it was crushing the shoulder ever so slightly . I did not pick up  on it till they started sticking in the chamber requiring mortaring around 100 times because I was not going to dig and mic 1000 rounds to find them.
Now mind you i do not send the butt through the ground when I mortar but its a sharp quick blow that has and WILL break a milspec stock, not every time but often.
The SW brace and tube were just fine and it really sold me on it because to be honest when I realized what was going on with the reloads I was concerned with the set screw set up and I was not about to break out a tool and remove everytime I had one of those stuck cartridges

yeah I joined here in the panic , yeah I don't have a avatar of myself posing at the range , I am a long time builder and reloader that used to work in the firearms industry making barrels for these things, not a fan boy of anything

a range toy?...not mine , it is solid as hell and runs Barnes 53gr TSX about 2750fps

Link Posted: 3/5/2016 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

shit, collapsible stocks break all the time mortaring, that's why procedure is to collapse before hand.

I have exp installing and running the SW/tube kit as well as multiple fixed and collapsible.

The SW tube and brace interface is more solidly supported than a milspec collapsible stock being currently issued to troops . The SW and tube will mortar with no ill effects.

I had trimmed the cases too long and when i applied crimp it was crushing the shoulder ever so slightly . I did not pick up  on it till they started sticking in the chamber requiring mortaring around 100 times because I was not going to dig and mic 1000 rounds to find them.

Now mind you i do not send the butt through the ground when I mortar but its a sharp quick blow that has and WILL break a milspec stock, not every time but often.

The SW brace and tube were just fine and it really sold me on it because to be honest when I realized what was going on with the reloads I was concerned with the set screw set up and I was not about to break out a tool and remove everytime I had one of those stuck cartridges

yeah I joined here in the panic , yeah I don't have a avatar of myself posing at the range , I am a long time builder and reloader that used to work in the firearms industry making barrels for these things, not a fan boy of anything

a range toy?...not mine , it is solid as hell and runs Barnes 53gr TSX about 2750fps

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/oli700/2a/image_zpsispdzjlb.jpeg
View Quote
I'm not a fan of the any of the braces nor do I have anything against them but let's face it, It's still just a range toy. Unless of course there is a war in Oregon that the rest of us haven't heard about.

Either that or please regale us with tales of the missions you used this on in distant warfare operations.

Link Posted: 3/5/2016 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm not a fan of the any of the braces nor do I have anything against them but let's face it, It's still just a range toy. Unless of course there is a war in Oregon that the rest of us haven't heard about.
Either that or please regale us with tales of the missions you used this on in distant warfare operations.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/oli700/2a/image_zpsispdzjlb.jpeg

you are 100% right, what was I thinking ....you are a virtual fountain of wisdom, thank you . Application and wobbly adjustable stock enrout

But I hear you they are all range toys i don't see why a 30-30 Winchester wouldn't do in a pinch , I hope to never find out .
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top