Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/19/2016 3:33:12 PM EDT
Colt Match HBAR, Magpul 10 round magazine (problem repeatable with multiple magazines), Nosler 77gr ammunition.  3 rounds out of 20 ended up not clambering completely as seen below.  Ejection after firing has no issues.  No upward pressure on magazine when cycling new round into chamber.
Are the most likely causes of the round not completely going into battery either a buffer spring needing replaced or the magazine putting too much upward pressure on the bolt carrier as it moves?  Or a combination of the two?
Other possibilities?

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#1]
are you using froglube?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Does it go in with a tap on the forward assist?  If so, I'd say that either the buffer spring is a little weak.  If not, your chamber may be a little tight.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

are you using froglube?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

are you using froglube?
No, either gunzilla CLP or MPro I can not recall which  ..  I will re clean and check if that was the source of the problem  You can tell I did have it a little wet.

Quoted:

Does it go in with a tap on the forward assist?  If so, I'd say that either the buffer spring is a little weak.  If not, your chamber may be a little tight.
I cycled bolt to the rear and re chambered since the failure was so far out of battery it did not make sense to use the forward assist.  Rifle has fired flawlessly for years with any quality ammunition.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#4]
What did the brass look like on the ones you manually ejected?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm guessing it's getting caught on the edge of the ejector, and not pushing it in and letting the extractor snap over the rim.

ETA: Judged by the pic. That's odd if it's just now doing this with this particular ammo.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is one hanging up but still chambering...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d19WvnQwS_8

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#8]
A pic of the bolt face would be helpful. I'm betting the extractor is the problem. Could have gotten tweeked and is too far causing the case to hit the face of the extractor instead of the inside bevel preventing it from snapping over the rim. This in turn cocks the cartridge slightly when feeding and the whole thing comes to a halt.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is one where it hung up like the original photo, after a period of time it decided to complete the chambering process.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm the worst at stuff like this but mine had the exact same problem as yours.  Pics were identical.  I tried all suggestions given here and the problem end up being the BCG.  

I changed the bolt & carrier and the problem went away immediately.  It has never returned so I don't know which part of the assembly was causing the problem.  I still have the old one, not sure what to do with it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:02:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

A pic of the bolt face would be helpful. I'm betting the extractor is the problem. Could have gotten tweeked and is too far causing the case to hit the face of the extractor instead of the inside bevel preventing it from snapping over the rim. This in turn cocks the cartridge slightly when feeding and the whole thing comes to a halt.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:10:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Could be:

* Extractor spring too strong

* Action spring too weak

Combination of both.

Round count?

Pull your bolt apart and see if there is an extra power spring or O ring.

Measure your action spring length.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:33:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Based on it working fine for years and those vids, I'm guessing action spring. If you don't have a new spring, do you have another lower to try that upper on?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:36:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Action does seem slow, grab a new spring for less than $3, or at the very least make sure it's around 10.5" or higher(for carbine). I'd too like to see the bolt face as I may believe it's a combination of weak buffer spring and/or extractor issues.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:45:04 AM EDT
[#15]
It stopping at the same place each time there has to be something stopping it.  Look for a roll pin backing out of your buffer or maybe the buffer detent.  Maybe a cam pin issue.  Given where it is stopping also check there is no damage to the gas key or gas tube; look like that might be hanging you as those interface.  Take it apart and look for wear or damage on those any any other moving parts.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Here is one where it hung up like the original photo, after a period of time it decided to complete the chambering process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCBsVdtilP0

View Quote
If you look at the close up pic in your first post it clearly shows the extractor over to far to the center of the bolt. The case is actually hanging over the extractors edge. The extractor is not snapped over the rim. The case is not entering the chamber squarely and it jams up the bolt.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#17]
If you have another newer AR start swapping parts one at a time until you find the culprit.  If you dont have another AR, then this is your excuse to buy one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:46:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

If you have another newer AR start swapping parts one at a time until you find the culprit.  If you dont have another AR, then this is your excuse to buy one.
View Quote
I have more than enough parts to play mix and match to find the problem I just don't currently have the time to mess with it too much.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top