Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/24/2016 10:25:08 PM EDT
Who makes the best extractor spring? Bcm, sprinco or specialized armament green spring
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:19:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I have some of the Sprinco CS black 5 coil HD springs and they work great.  I bought them as a kit with the inner buffer and o-ring.  I don't use the o-ring.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:24:51 PM EDT
[#2]
i always buy sprinco buffer springs and just add the extractor spring with it. Never have issues, i think it's one of the most valuable upgrades for the AR platform
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:14:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Best for what?  I've never had a problem with any extractor spring in any AR I have ever used.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:08:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I use BCM and Sprinco.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Factory Colt or FN "gold" extractor-spring, with insert.  Cheapest too, dollar for dollar versus the other clones on the market.  No need for an o-ring..........
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Factory Colt or FN "gold" extractor-spring, with insert.  Cheapest too, dollar for dollar versus the other clones on the market.  No need for an o-ring..........
View Quote

This right here although they're hard to find at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#7]
On my 3 carbine gas system carbines I've been using the BCM extractor spring upgrade chrome silicon but not using the O-ring, for over 5 years now and I'm expecting to not change it, should last as the life of my Colt bolts (10K to 60K).

With my midlength and rifle gas systems I'm using the Colt gold extractor springs with mil-spec O-rings, but I replace them from 5K to 8K rounds to avoid any problems.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Sprinco makes the best springs in the industry IMO.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Your bolt will need to be replaced far sooner than the original usgi extractor spring.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#10]
How about the o-ring? My AAC has a green o-ring which they say is supposed to stay soft to lower temperatures than the black ones. Any knowledge on these?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sprinco makes the best springs in the industry IMO.
View Quote

http://www.sprinco.com/tactical.html

Thank you ..!

Bought their:

Enhanced 5 coil Extractor Kit
Buffer  "Blue"  Spring
...and the Machine Gunners oil
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I use nothing but colt golds. Never a problem. WD
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Sprinco buffer springs and BCM extractor springs (without o-ring) in all of my ARs.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:36:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Best for what?  I've never had a problem with any extractor spring in any AR I have ever used.
View Quote

this I once installed a D-fender and broke my extractor so I learned don't change things inside the bolt it works just fine with a mil spec extractor spring
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:10:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Your bolt will need to be replaced far sooner than the original usgi extractor spring.
View Quote

I've fixed more extraction problems with a simple spring change than anything else.  Can't cycle steel?  Change the extractor spring.  Erratic extraction on brass?  Same answer.  Grendel and .223/variants.  My friend had two Grendels that wouldn't cycle steel at all.  Single shots, both of them.  Two Wolff springs and both are running 100%.

Every gun I put together now gets one before the first shot is fired, why wait.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:25:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. They're all I use.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:27:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I use Colt or BCM. haven't needed an o-ring, but have a dozen or so in my kits.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:05:02 AM EDT
[#18]
colt
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:41:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I upgraded my 17 year old Bushmaster with a BCM extractor spring and it now flings brass with authority. Didn't even bother with the intalling the o-ring. With all these HD extractor springs nowdays I don't see how there is even a need for the silly o-rings anymore.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:34:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Bumpsaw wasn't ejecting last range trip. BCM installed. I will update Wednesday.

(shooting steel case Golden Tiger)

Tried to find Colt gold, but no luck
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
On my 3 carbine gas system carbines I've been using the BCM extractor spring upgrade chrome silicon but not using the O-ring, for over 5 years now and I'm expecting to not change it, should last as the life of my Colt bolts (10K to 60K).

With my midlength and rifle gas systems I'm using the Colt gold extractor springs with mil-spec O-rings, but I replace them from 5K to 8K rounds to avoid any problems.

View Quote

This doesn't make any sense.  The Mid should have an easier time extracting but you put the O-ring on them.  

The O-ring came about back when they were still using the same spring and insert as the original M16.  I never liked the O-ring and saw it cause problems too many times.  I used to use a fresh spring and black insert, now I use all Colt copper with supplied insert.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I've never experienced an issue where I needed special springs.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here.  I don't shoot high volume, though and don't shoot weak ammo that might need stronger extraction, though.

For most of us, it seems to be a solution looking for a problem that we don't have. USGI mil spec quality is all I need.  Time tested and proven.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 3:28:18 PM EDT
[#24]
interesting thread , i was cleaning my gun the other night from an outing a couple of weeks ago and found this.  i put a franklin armory bfs trigger in the gun a while back and have been beating on it pretty good lately.  i don't know how long it's been broken but the gun has been functioning fine.  this is out of a bcm bolt , i don't know how many rounds but it's in the thousands and not hundreds.  i guess it's time to check and replace the gas rings

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

X2. Standard issue springs are good as gold. Many of the improvements being hawked for AR-15's just satisfies the customer's unanswered needs between their ears. Most of this stuff is just fluff.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top