Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/25/2017 5:18:00 PM EDT
I need a short section of rail on my OEM Colt carbine handguards so I can add a light.  The double heat shield doesn't look like it'll come out so I can install bolts, so I need some suggestions.

I thought about a rail insert for the front sight, but I would prefer not to remove the Colt front sling mount that attaches to the barrel through the sight.

I need suggestions for a simple, clean, low profile way to add a light while keeping the OEM guards. I tried a free float rail and hated it...I guess I'm a KISS rifle guy.

Any ideas will be welcomed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I need a short section of rail on my OEM Colt carbine handguards so I can add a light.  The double heat shield doesn't look like it'll come out so I can install bolts, so I need some suggestions.

I thought about a rail insert for the front sight, but I would prefer not to remove the Colt front sling mount that attaches to the barrel through the sight.

I need suggestions for a simple, clean, low profile way to add a light while keeping the OEM guards. I tried a free float rail and hated it...I guess I'm a KISS rifle guy.

Any ideas will be welcomed.
View Quote

A lot of those shields were put in with hot glue or something similar, you can cut through it with a razor blade and then put them back in once the rail is installed, I have done it a couple of times on M4 handguards and you can even tell that I took them out.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Picture_0572-290091.jpg

I do not know if the hardware from G,G,& G or Magpul is long enough to use even if you drilled through the inner shield?

I have never dismantled a set.
View Quote
The Stag guards I had last were easy.  The heat shields jjust popped out.  The Colt ones seem like they were melted in place.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Try the well-regarded Elzetta weapon light mount pictured below (not my rifle).  I ran this for a while and liked it.  Connects to your FSB.  I ended up adding a rail to that rifle (DD Omega 7) and switched to Streamlight RM-1 and Thorntail mount.  But, the Elzetta works great with mil spec hand guards.

Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Try the well-regarded Elzetta weapon light mount pictured below (not my rifle).  I ran this for a while and liked it.  Connects to your FSB.  I ended up adding a rail to that rifle (DD Omega 7) and switched to Streamlight RM-1 and Thorntail mount.  But, the Elzetta works great with mil spec hand guards.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/R0fP9bR86eo/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote
He said he didn't want to remove his side sling swivel.

Maybe try some Magpul hanguards?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I mounted this rail under a set of Colt factory M4 handguards with no problems.

https://www.gggaz.com/ar-15-m16-under-forearm-integrated-rail-ufir.html
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Colt made handguards with a flash light in it.  cant remember the name but they go on gunbroker a lot 
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Since the Mossie Midnight Mount is not available, you can buy the 2 piece knockoff the KZ Mount
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I mounted this rail under a set of Colt factory M4 handguards with no problems.

https://www.gggaz.com/ar-15-m16-under-forearm-integrated-rail-ufir.html
View Quote
Did you have to remove the heat shields?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:51:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The inner heatshield is a problem.

The hardware mounts through the holes in the handguard/heatshield. Double heatshield inners  do not have the holes.
View Quote
It wasn't when I did it. The heatshields popped out. Granted it was a long time ago and Colt may have changed how they put in the shields. But they were factory Colt M4's with double shields.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:10:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I have some LMT double heat shield that I put a rail on.  I bolted it on, but can't remember what I had to do.  Ill see about getting a picture up.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:05:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I thought about a rail insert for the front sight, but I would prefer not to remove the Colt front sling mount that attaches to the barrel through the sight
View Quote
You can use the Midwest Industries or GG&G FSB rail mount with the Colt swivel.  I have done so and it works fine.

Much better setup than mounting on carbine handguards IMO.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You can use the Midwest Industries or GG&G FSB rail mount with the Colt swivel.  I have done so and it works fine.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought about a rail insert for the front sight, but I would prefer not to remove the Colt front sling mount that attaches to the barrel through the sight

Great info, thank you!  I didn't think the two would work together. 
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He said he didn't want to remove his side sling swivel.

Maybe try some Magpul hanguards?
View Quote
Elzetta has a side sling mount option to go with the light mounts, and its even QD.

Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope Lancelot doesn't mind me borrowing his pic, I didn't have any of mine when I ran that setup.  His is a middy, but you get the idea. That's also a big older setup, so a more modern light with a slimmer mount would be no issue at all.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I hope Lancelot doesn't mind me borrowing his pic, I didn't have any of mine when I ran that setup.  His is a middy, but you get the idea. That's also a big older setup, so a more modern light with a slimmer mount would be no issue at all.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/361327/image-291122.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/361327/image-291122.JPG
That looks perfect for my needs.  Thank you for posting the pic.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:32:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/R0fP9bR86eo/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote
I'm using one of those and it works ok but my sling activates my light if I actually sling the rifle.  It's pretty annoying to say the least
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#22]

You don't have to remove anything. You may have to flatten the two raised edges beside the row of vent holes to get full contact which is important. I did this to add a VFG and its very solid. There's a little movement because there's movement in the hand guard on the rifle but its very minor. For the purpose of a weapon light or grip it doesn't matter. I set the little rail back from the end of the hand guard because I use a sling that wraps around the front of it and is secured by the sling swivel. You have to find the right rail so the holes more or less line up but its not critical. You have to use a special screw that's available everywhere (tapered head like a wood screw) and be sure to use a washer on the heat shield.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top