AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 50cal:
@Paradude54 IM sent. I guess we worked together. I was at Barrett from Feb 1992 until late 2004.
View Quote

It looks like we did, though my tenure in the company was a good bit shorter than yours. I do miss it though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:03:59 AM EDT
[#2]
@50cal

Is this one of the company photos?

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By cebiNg:
@50cal

Is this one of the company photos?

https://i.imgur.com/q2G54A1.jpeg
View Quote

Looks really familiar. Going with "yes".
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool shot. I came across it through searches in the past.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Anybody ever rock an elcan on the ARMS SIR rail?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:27:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Were the Ops inc 6.8 cans during testing just a model 12 556 bored out?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome thread!

Thanks for sharing all the info!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Anybody know the report or article this image was pulled from? I saved it from a thread awhile back and I didn’t even realize what I was looking at at the time besides a Mod 0. It is a 6.8 SPR MK12 prototype. Reverse image search just brings up the archived thread I found it on here at ARFCOM. Even googling the text in the image just brings up random sites.

https://i.imgur.com/MDPYCZm.jpeg
View Quote

SWFA SS HD 10X for seeing bad guys. I regret not buying one of those scopes at the end when they were blowing everything out the door.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:51:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By heavy260:

SWFA SS HD 10X for seeing bad guys. I regret not buying one of those scopes at the end when they were blowing everything out the door.
View Quote

I have a 10x SS on an 82a1 and a 16x SS on an M95. Very good optic for the money. Got both of mine back when the standard price for the mil dot reticle model was $300. Both are  the Tasco branded ones.

Found a second 16x for a .308 AR not long ago. Found it used at a yard sale for $20
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I have several 6x and they’re decent, I use them for hunting, but the 10x HD is better glass and turrets and LOW made.

Had the big green R not fukd up the original 6.8 it would have taken off better. Would be nice to walk into a shop and buy a bolt action in 6.8II but that ship sailed shortly after release.

I need to find the magazines I have about ARs and the history/ introduction of the 6.8 to SF. Some good stuff in them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:28:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Were the Ops inc 6.8 cans during testing just a model 12 556 bored out?
View Quote

In case anybody was interested, I spoke with Ron Allen and he said the cans were ordered as 6.8 and had the accompanying markings on them to indicate the caliber. Cool stuff.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:34:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cebiNg] [#12]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Anybody know the report or article this image was pulled from? I saved it from a thread awhile back and I didn’t even realize what I was looking at at the time besides a Mod 0. It is a 6.8 SPR MK12 prototype. Reverse image search just brings up the archived thread I found it on here at ARFCOM. Even googling the text in the image just brings up random sites.

Man, what a time it would have been to snag this stuff up. From what I was able to gleam, the mount and rings in this photo were the A.R.M.S. #19 and #21 stanag rings with a height of 1.150” from top of the rail to the center of the optic (per directly from ARMS).
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:21:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I have several 6x and they’re decent, I use them for hunting, but the 10x HD is better glass and turrets and LOW made.

Had the big green R not fukd up the original 6.8 it would have taken off better. Would be nice to walk into a shop and buy a bolt action in 6.8II but that ship sailed shortly after release.

I need to find the magazines I have about ARs and the history/ introduction of the 6.8 to SF. Some good stuff in them.
View Quote

I’d be interested to see what those magazines had to say.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#14]

In case anybody was interested, I spoke with Ron Allen and he said the cans were ordered as 6.8 and had the accompanying markings on them to indicate the caliber. Cool stuff.
View Quote

You can still find M4-2000 6.8 suppressors on gunbroker.  Been trying to get one for a few years. They get bid up way too much for my blood. Would love to get one for my piston 6.8
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:21:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#15]
Would be nice to walk into a shop and buy a bolt action in 6.8II but that ship sailed shortly after release.
View Quote

If companies gear up to make some 400 Legends they'd have the right bolt face, so would just take a barrel. The Howa Mini looks interesting. There are a lot of bolt rifles coming on the market because of the straightwall hunting states and the most popular cartridges are made to fit the AR magwell so maybe we'll see a renaissance.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#16]
The posted load using 115 grain SMK's, Remington 6.5 primers through a 22" barrel bolt action rifle reached 2860 fps!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:55:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
The posted load using 115 grain SMK's, Remington 6.5 primers through a 22" barrel bolt action rifle reached 2860 fps!
View Quote

Yes, that was Steve Holland when developing the cartridge.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#18]
This thread is awesome!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:13:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#19]
Originally Posted By d16man:

My ARP barrels love the S&B stuff.  I used to buy it for $9/box at PSA.  Haven't seen it on the shelves in a long time. Glad I stocked up when I did.
View Quote

same and bought my buddy’s stash of S&B 110 fmj at $14 a box, iirc I bought ten boxes.  I already had some as it was my source for brass.  My own load is the 95 ttsx with 2200.

I remember a coworker had a Rem 700 6.8 rem.  I forget the sub model but likely a police heavy barrel type.  He ended up sending it back to Remington as it would not shoot.   He had a decent rapport with the factory being our chief armorer and not living that far from Ilion.   I really remember  he got boned by another coworker on the scope he had for that rifle.  Another firearms instructor sold him a chinese knockoff Leupold tactical scope.  The all one digit repeated serial number was the obvious tell besides the turret workings.  I was the one to burst his bubble on his scope deal and pulled up the Sniper’s hide thread on the chinese fakes.   He just had no luck on that project.

The M700 looked nice.  If they shot well I think I’d want one.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#20]
That’s a rough go of misfortune.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

same and bought my buddy’s stash of S&B 110 fmj at $14 a box, iirc I bought ten boxes.  I already had some as it was my source for brass.  My own load is the 95 ttsx with 2200.

I remember a coworker had a Rem 700 6.8 rem.  I forget the sub model but likely a police heavy barrel type.  He ended up sending it back to Remington as it would not shoot.   He had a decent rapport with the factory being our chief armorer and not living that far from Ilion.   I really remember  he got boned by another coworker on the scope he had for that rifle.  Another firearms instructor sold him a chinese knockoff Leupold tactical scope.  The all one digit repeated serial number was the obvious tell besides the turret workings.  I was the one to burst his bubble on his scope deal and pulled up the Sniper’s hide thread on the chinese fakes.   He just had no luck on that project.

The M700 looked nice.  If they shot well I think I’d want one.
View Quote

The Model 7 should have been offered as a youth gun in 6.8 SPC.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

The Model 7 should have been offered as a youth gun in 6.8 SPC.
View Quote

That would have been a just right gun!  My older version with 18.5” barrel model 7 is in 7-08.  It’s a good combo too.

The older I get I like rifles that are enough but not excessive for a whitetail or carrying.  

My 6.8 is a fairly light build too.  A bolt and barrel from he who shall not be named on this site.   Almost bought an on sale Wilson when they still had options but the lighter stuff was always out of stock.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:25:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#23]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
My 6.8 is a fairly light build too.  A bolt and barrel from he who shall not be named on this site.   Almost bought an on sale Wilson when they still had options but the lighter stuff was always out of stock.
View Quote

He who shall not be named has retired and the product lines were sold to another vendor, I was told by site mgt that it's ok to name them now since the offending business no longer exists.

Part of the drop in interest in 6.8 over the years was that one of the top vendors for 6.8 barrels and some other neat projects couldn't be discussed here. Which is kind of a shame. The bolt and barrel extension that they designed and had made to fit 6mm BR into the AR15 could have been a game changer, but it couldn't be discussed, now it's like it no longer exists.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:14:05 AM EDT
[#24]
so, the "he shall no longer be named" is OUT OF THE BUSINESS and we can get back to discussing a kickass caliber used in ar platforms.

when can I get MADE IN USA fmj?  getting tired of high priced Hornady ammo.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:29:36 AM EDT
[#25]
I’ve been enjoying shooting mine lately. Just built one for the first time. It shot like hell till I figured out the Bbilt was the issue. Now it shoots like a dream. I need to take the 5X off and put on a good optic and see what kind of groups it actually can do.

I should have built one years ago. One of my friends tried talking me into it and I passed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By racer765:
so, the "he shall no longer be named" is OUT OF THE BUSINESS and we can get back to discussing a kickass caliber used in ar platforms.

when can I get MADE IN USA fmj?  getting tired of high priced Hornady ammo.
View Quote

The local fleet farm has American eagle 6.8 fmj at $1.23 a round.  S&B fmj and hpbt ammo can be had for $1 a round or less online.  There are a lot of interesting hunting spc ii spec rounds to be had from cavity back bullets and Druid hill armory if one doesn’t reload.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#27]

The ARMS scope mount in this pic is the #19 with #21 rings, anybody know the centerline height of this combination? A brief search of the ARMS website doesn't give this info like it does on their other scope mounts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Anybody know the report or article this image was pulled from? I saved it from a thread awhile back and I didn't even realize what I was looking at at the time besides a Mod 0. It is a 6.8 SPR MK12 prototype. Reverse image search just brings up the archived thread I found it on here at ARFCOM. Even googling the text in the image just brings up random sites.

The ARMS scope mount in this pic is the #19 with #21 rings, anybody know the centerline height of this combination? A brief search of the ARMS website doesn't give this info like it does on their other scope mounts.
I believe it's right around 1.15", the same height as the #22 medium height rings. You'd need a swan sleeve to comfortably use it. If you'd like a more modular mount the #35 system is pretty good, the bases are in stock on their website and you can find the rings and spacers on eBay. Centerline height is 1.2" for the rings direct mounted to the base, 1.54" with the medium spacers, and 1.8" with the tall spacers.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 50cal:

You can still find M4-2000 6.8 suppressors on gunbroker.  Been trying to get one for a few years. They get bid up way too much for my blood. Would love to get one for my piston 6.8
View Quote

I have a bunch of M4-2K’s in 68 but managed to find the coolest one of all with the serial number specifically four the six eight.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:41:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Anybody ever rock an elcan on the ARMS SIR rail?
View Quote
I've seen plenty of people do it. The extra height the sleeve gives you helps cause you can sit it back further on the rail without having to remove the rear sight, helps with the eye relief and means you still have backup irons if you need them. Seen people do the same with ACOGs too, functionally the same as a KRAM or Larue riser
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:56:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By thatARMSguy:
I've seen plenty of people do it. The extra height the sleeve gives you helps cause you can sit it back further on the rail without having to remove the rear sight, helps with the eye relief and means you still have backup irons if you need them. Seen people do the same with ACOGs too, functionally the same as a KRAM or Larue riser
View Quote

I appreciate the info. I’ve come across a few photos of the ACOG in use but only one with an Elcan. The angle isn’t the best but it gets the idea across.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a love/hate relationship with my 6.8. I built my first one in 2009 with a 16" barrel, and then a few years later built a 12.5" SBR in 6.8. I've taken a few deer with that round, using 95 grain Barnes and 120 grain Hornady SSTs. It's a great round for deer where I live, and my shots were no longer than 150 yards. But why I also say I hate it is that I've never been able to get the accuracy I've seen a lot of others get out of theirs. Plus no matter what I did my brass always showed signs of high pressure. It's the only round that I've reloaded that does that to me.  I've got tons of unopened bags of SSA brass, and still have several hundred 90 grain Gold Dot bullets.

Here's my 12.5" 6.8 SPC II SBR. I did have my Silencerco 762 Specwar .308 can on it, but that big-ass can weighs as much as the rifle. My shitty attempt at a rattle-can Multicam finish.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top