Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2006 8:23:54 PM EDT
I just found out that the MI 10" FF 4 rail handguard won't fit on mid length gas system because its integral end cap would hit the low pro gas block.  I would have to go to the rifle length handguard to clear the gas block.

Does the Troy Tactical or Samson equivalent handguard have the integral end cap as well that would get in the way?  I don't want to go rifle length on the handguard.
Link Posted: 11/28/2006 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#1]
From emailing a vendor, I believe the answer to my question is no, the Samson and Troy handguards do not have the intergral end that would hang up on a low pro gas block.
Link Posted: 11/28/2006 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 10" troy on one of my mid length uppers and it clears a vltor lo pro gas block as they don't have the endcap.
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Chuck1, does your troy handguard completely cover the gas block and go past it?

I'd appreciate a pic if you could.  I thought the 10" handguard would cover and go past the gas block on a mid length gas system, but a vendor showed me pics that makes it look like it won't.
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the troy 10" on my Bushmaster 16" midlength.  It covers the gas block completely (PRI low profile).
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Daniel Defense Lite 10.0
Noveske Mid-Length Barrel
Vltor Gas Block

There is no end cap on the rail system and the gas block sticks out only about a 1/2".  More or less completely covered by the rail.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#6]
What am I missing with the gas blocks--are they different lengths?  On the bushmaster, the 10" handguard covers the block completely, but on UltimateThrilla's the gas block is mainly covered?
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What am I missing with the gas blocks--are they different lengths?  
Obviously.  They range from the KAC and PRI that are barely an inch long to the Larue that is made long enough to completely cover the areas exposed if you are replacing a normal FSB.
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Noveske 10.5" barrel, LaRue 11.0" Rail

Noveske 10.5", LaRue 9.0" Rail

Link Posted: 11/29/2006 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Which low profile gas block, on a mid length gas, 16" barrel, will be completely covered by a Samson or Troy 10" 4 rail handguard?  That is my goal.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:35:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Which low profile gas block, on a mid length gas, 16" barrel, will be completely covered by a Samson or Troy 10" 4 rail handguard?  That is my goal.

Definitely the KAC and PRI.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What am I missing with the gas blocks--are they different lengths?  On the bushmaster, the 10" handguard covers the block completely, but on UltimateThrilla's the gas block is mainly covered?

No, what you are missing is that the Bushmaster uses a CARBINE gas system, while UT's uses a MIDLENGTH gas system.

The 10" was designed to completely cover the CARBINE gas block with a little overage.  With the Mid, it's a bit short.

Also consider that the DD 10.0 is NOT REALLY 10" long.  It has the same number of rail slots as the discontinued DD 9.5 from a while back.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top