Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2014 1:41:35 PM EDT
Vertical grips? what do you think, useful or extra weight?

Which are the best ones?

This one made me curious about vertical grips...
http://damageindustriesllc.com/product/enhanced-forward-grip-1913-rail-mount
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#1]

I use KAC, because somehow I acquired a bunch of them.

I like Tango Down QD grips too. I'm not too fond of the non-QD. They make my fingers hurt

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 3:03:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use KAC, because somehow I acquired a bunch of them.

I like Tango Down QD grips too. I'm not too fond of the non-QD. They make my fingers hurt

View Quote

My favorite.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#3]
they're ok, i prefer the angled fore grips though, it just feels more natural to me and better on my wrist.

obviously some people will say exactly the opposite. if you've never tried either try both n sell off or return the other if you kept it in perfect condition.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I like mine and wouldn't change it for anything. But I don't grab it like its a chicken's neck. I put my fingers half around it and my thumb goes along the rail.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:Which are the best ones?
View Quote

No such thing as best, but here are some favorites.

Tango Down
Daniel Defense
Troy
Knights
Magpul
BCM Gunfighter
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
they're ok, i prefer the angled fore grips though, it just feels more natural to me and better on my wrist.

obviously some people will say exactly the opposite. if you've never tried either try both n sell off or return the other if you kept it in perfect condition.
View Quote

Agreed I like the AFGs but to each their own
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 3:57:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Does any one have experience with these grips?

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG413/104

My first AR has a moe hand guard so this is basically my only choice. Are they any good?

Sorry to high jack your thread. Haha
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Tango Down
Daniel Defense
Troy
Knights
Magpul
BCM Gunfighter
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Which are the best ones?

Tango Down
Daniel Defense
Troy
Knights
Magpul
BCM Gunfighter

This is helpful. Thank you.

I'm noticing that price can vary wildly on these grips. What makes one better than the other? I see quick detach, keymod, plastic or aluminum. Does material and quick detach really matter for a grip? I am having a hard time thinking of an occasion where you would have to immediately remove your grip. Am I wrong?

BTW, the damage industry grip I posted earlier is adaptable. It can be short or long. WOuld that be a desired feature?

Sorry for the rookie questions but Im new to vertical grips and Im trying to get into them without sinking too much money. I noticed that tango down qd grip goes for like $80-100... that's a lot...
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm noticing that price can vary wildly on these grips. What makes one better than the other? I see quick detach, keymod, plastic or aluminum. Does material and quick detach really matter for a grip? I am having a hard time thinking of an occasion where you would have to immediately remove your grip. Am I wrong?
View Quote

I agree, quick disconnect doesn't appeal to me.  I also don't see a situation where I will need to rapidly add/remove the vertical grip.

Plastic vs. Aluminum.  I prefer plastic because they are very durable and less weight.  Models like the DD have a flat spot to tape the pressure switch for your weapon light.  The Tango Down is even slicker as it has a removable cover that allows you to slip in the pressure switch and hold it firm without tape.  

I would say my favorite right now is the Tango Down for the reasons above.  The non-QD version of course.

Here's my DD on my M4A1 clone build.  The DD is govt issue part.

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:BTW, the damage industry grip I posted earlier is adaptable. It can be short or long. WOuld that be a desired feature?
View Quote

The Troy alum grip that has been out for a long time has the same feature.  It's certainly handy to have options.  Personally I like full length vertical grips on everything except my HK UMP where I have a shorty Gear Sector aluminum vertical.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/3058439585/troy-industries-picatinny-modular-vertical-forend-grip-aluminum
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#11]
magpul vertical fore grip (VFG).
they're cheap and easy.

a lot of people use the vertical grip to attach the pressure sensor for their light/lazer/etc..

I took the pressure sensor and glued it to a rubber UTG rail cover.  it's easy to move around and slight upward pressure on the grip hand and the light is on.

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like mine and wouldn't change it for anything. But I don't grab it like its a chicken's neck. I put my fingers half around it and my thumb goes along the rail.
View Quote

Same for me.  I am a fan of the Knights myself... Cheap (around $10 shipped on EE every now and then) and solid.

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I use MagPul vertical grips and I also use Blackhawk RAIL MOUNTED THUMB REST on all my AR15's Carbine. It helps me when I am shooting in the standing position. It really helps because I am holding the rifle up at the vertical grip by pulling the rifle into my shoulder.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I like them, and I find them useful.

That being said, personal preference.  Not everyone likes them, and that's fine.  

My favorite two grips are the Magpul RVG and the CAA TVG Three Finger Grip.  Cheap, both work good.  The CAA is just a little stubby grip, almost a handstop more than a grip.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the short GG&G VFG.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Larue FUG, my personal favorite. It has Larues QD hardware, can be changed to three different lengths/styles and has internal storage. I've had a few different models of VFG( MAGPUL, Troy, Mako) and tried numerous others and the Larue is definitely my favorite. It just feels great in my hand and I really like the option to switch sizes from a stubby to a full size to a full size with a wide endcap. I regularly switch between stubby and standard full size unsure of which is my favorite.

I like QD hardware on most anything that attaches to a picatinny rail and can definitely see where having a QD VFG in a battle rifle or SHTF rifle could be useful, mainly in case you need to rest the forend on something and the VFG gets in the way or forces the rifle to sit too high. Of course a situation like that is unlikely for the vast majority of users but let's be honest, many of us set up rifles for a situation we have no chance of ever being in, combat. The Larue QD is super fast to install/remove and locks down very solidly. Their QD hardware is up there with the best.

Yes, the FUG is expensive but most nice things are....also worth noting Larue includes a lot of cool extras(meat seasoning, AKA "Dillo Dust", an armadillo shaped bottle can opener, bumper stickers etc)

http://www.laruetactical.com/lt-fug-forward-universal-grip

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#17]
How I hold = handstops much better.  Lighter, less bulk.

Perfect
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Depends on what feels best in your hand and if you want storage or not.  
I keep a backup battery for the flashlight in the v. grip.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Larue FUG, my personal favorite.
View Quote

I'm gonna need to try one of those out.  I like how you used black shrink wrap to hold the pressure switch!
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Mark for review.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm gonna need to try one of those out.  I like how you used black shrink wrap to hold the pressure switch!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The pic is actually from Larues website...the black shrink wrap is actually more of a rubber band...a perfectly fitted rubber band They include two of them with the grip.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The pic is actually from Larues website...the black shrink wrap is actually more of a rubber band...a perfectly fitted rubber band They include two of them with the grip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even better!
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#23]
After using a tango down grip, a magpul moe, hand stops, the works.. I use nothing.  A vert grip might be nice if you've got an extra 3lbs on the end of the gun due to lights lasers and a can on the end.. but I simply don't see the use otherwise.  Nothing you can't do with a good grip and some gloves on your hands if you're worried about the heat.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I agree, quick disconnect doesn't appeal to me.  I also don't see a situation where I will need to rapidly add/remove the vertical grip.

Plastic vs. Aluminum.  I prefer plastic because they are very durable and less weight.  Models like the DD have a flat spot to tape the pressure switch for your weapon light.  The Tango Down is even slicker as it has a removable cover that allows you to slip in the pressure switch and hold it firm without tape.  

I would say my favorite right now is the Tango Down for the reasons above.  The non-QD version of course.

http://i.imgur.com/kYPvVv1.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some folks have had problems with the non-QD TD grip not locking up tight on certain rails. The QD mount (made by ADM) locks up tight every time.

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Does any one have experience with these grips?
http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG413/104
My first AR has a moe hand guard so this is basically my only choice. Are they any good?
Sorry to high jack your thread. Haha
View Quote
I have a MOE vert grip on my midlength MOE handguard. I basically use it as a handstop, with my thumb over the top of the handguard, pinky and ring finger backed up against the vert grip. Middle and index fingers are underneath the handguard.
This puts my hand in a very ergonomic position to manipulate the tail cap button(by nudging my index forward against the FSB sing swivel) of my Elzetta light mounted in the Elzetta under FSB mount.

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Some folks have had problems with the non-QD TD grip not locking up tight on certain rails. The QD mount (made by ADM) locks up tight every time.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not the case on the DD rails, to be sure.  That SOB requires a dead blow hammer and many choice words to get on my MK18
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#28]

+1 with the LaRue FUG

It's personal preference, but I like the QD feature that does not require to remove grip panels when removing the VFG, the synthetic material does not absorb heat, storage is nice to have for small parts or batteries, and it also could be converted in three sizes like the Damage Industries.

If you don't like all those feature and would like just a basic type get the Knight's Armament Co., or if you want a shorter version take a look at the GG&G SFG-1 short vertical grip, I have these both are good, I also have the TangoDown (standard full size non QD mount) and Magpul but I like my KAC and GG&G better depending on which grip length I wanted to use.

http://www.gggaz.com/short-vertical-grip.html

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:11:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I like the Low-Pro-Products vfg in stubby mode.

http://amsmachine.net/product-list/grips/
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Ive gone through a lot of VFG, not that Ive destroyed them, I end up finding something better that I like. As it stands, Im a huge of the BCM Gunfighter Stubby Grip. Its angled enough to have a thumb over grip, and to grip it entirely without cramping your wrist.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top