Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/12/2012 8:46:50 AM EDT
what would it take to build a 458 socom slinging upper to use on a ar-15 lower that is set-up now for 5.56 ? Watched sons  of  guns  the other night and they built one !  Is it realy al that easy ? I have an olympic arms lower layin around that would love to get hooked up with the 458 round. what is involed in this build? what i am really asking is will it work n a 5.56 lower?
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 8:48:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy an upper and ammo and your done.
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#2]
458 even uses the same mags as 5.56. You will only get 10 or so rounds in a 30 rounder though, but by the time you shoot 10 rounds you will need a break.
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 9:11:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I couldn't belive that will didn't call it a game changer,only if you dropped him in jurrasic park that he could take down a T-REX
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#4]
"Everything from Hogzilla to Godzilla..." Yeah...right..
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#5]
A 458 socom upper fits just fine on any regular ar15 lower.

That show just gets more intellectually challenged every episode.

"I cant get the UBER AR to extract the rounds"  LOOK at the gas system, and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS that came with the piston conversion kit.  

ARs are easy to assemble. its not rocket science.   Am I the only one who was annoyed by the drama act with the piston AR build?
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#6]
but by the time you shoot 10 rounds you will need a break

Oh come on.  Have you ever even shot one?  I have 4 of them, three rifles and a Savage Striker pistol, and even in a handgun the recoil is not that bad.  Ten rounds and done, give me a break.  I have set down and put a hundred rounds down range during range testing and load development and not even ended up with a bruised shoulder and I am anything but a tough guy.  The recoil is not that bad and if you use a stock with a soft pad, like the ACE M4 SOCOM (fixed into position only) or Mag-Pul ACS or VLTOR E-Mod, the SOCOM is not going to beat up anyone.  A friend of mine's daughter who is 17 and not 110 pounds soaking wet has taken several deer over the last few years with her dad's SOCOM and she shoots it regularly and has no ill affects from it.  I don't know what makes people act like the SOCOM will tear your shoulder off but it is not true and just a bunch of internet BS probably from people who have never even held one let along shot one, or trying to impress someone with how manly they are.  Don't fall for such drivel, the SOCOM is anything but brutal.

To answer you question.  Four things are different in a SOCOM over a 5.56.  The bolt (not BC, the actual bolt) is different, needs to be opened up to .308 head size; the extractor is different, needs to be dehorned a bit; the barrel of course is different and needs a modified barrel extension; and the ejection port needs to be opened up.  If opened up correctly the EP cover will still lock closed.  The lower does NOT need an extra powered recoil spring or heavy buffer.  The .458 SOCOM was designed from the ground up to work with the standard CAR or Rifle buffer and recoil springs.  A lot of people try the HBs, but they often lead to a malfunctioning rifle.  I too tried a HB and turned a perfectly reliable 16 inch CAR gassed rifle into a jam-o-matic.  Standard buffer back in and it runs like a well tuned sewing machine.

7 rounds in a 20,
10-11 rounds in a 30, usually 11,
15-16 round in a .40,
and 32-34 in a MGI 100 round snail drum.  It will not work in a Beta C mag or either of the Surefire 60 or 100 round mags.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 11:10:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
what would it take to build a 458 socom slinging upper to use on a ar-15 lower that is set-up now for 5.56 ? Watched sons  of  guns  the other night and they built one !  Is it realy al that easy ? I have an olympic arms lower layin around that would love to get hooked up with the 458 round. what is involed in this build? what i am really asking is will it work n a 5.56 lower?

1. buy RRA .458 Socom upper
2. push pins and remove .223  upper from your Oly lower
3. slap .458 upper on your Oly lower
4. go out and shoot.

here's mine.

RRA .458 upper on Oly lower.

Link Posted: 1/12/2012 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#9]
was funny on sons of guns the first bullet picture was the hornady 250gr ftx in .450 BM not .458

later on on the show they got some .458 corbon ammo
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
was funny on sons of guns the first bullet picture was the hornady 250gr ftx in .450 BM not .458

later on on the show they got some .458 corbon ammo

That was video from a youtube clip that taufledermaus made of the .458 socom back in 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_AkHzks8oA
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 3:23:07 PM EDT
[#11]
sons of guns is purely an entertainment show, 1/2 of its scripted and its all edited for the most dramatic effects.. If you want something to watch that is 100% technical and correct get yourself a gunsmith training dvd.. if you wanna sit in the chair and have a laugh and see some guns then watch the show.

looks like the manufactures can thank them for selling a few xtra .458 uppers anyways..
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I always get a laugh out of  (sons of guns ) and they get me thinking sometimes. I know the 308 will not work on my lower , so i wondered if 458 would
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#13]
coop4570  , awesome looking GUN ... does it shoot as good as it looks ?
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Coop
Looks good brother. In middle of Beowulf build, that makes me want to go your route.....
That might be my next adventure
Link Posted: 1/15/2012 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#15]
You will only get 10 or so rounds in a 30 rounder though, but by the time you shoot 10 rounds you will need a break.

And so will whatever you were shooting.... :-)

John
Link Posted: 1/15/2012 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Sweeps them right off of their feet

Jack...
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 6:18:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A 458 socom upper fits just fine on any regular ar15 lower.

That show just gets more intellectually challenged every episode.

"I cant get the UBER AR to extract the rounds"  LOOK at the gas system, and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS that came with the piston conversion kit.  

ARs are easy to assemble. its not rocket science.   Am I the only one who was annoyed by the drama act with the piston AR build?

When Vince took over , it looked ike Kris didn't put the buffer in the tube, just the spring. Maybe I saw that wrong.
and yes, I caught myself yelling at the TV about the gasblock and piston.
It's just TV.
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 8:00:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I can't even watch those fools. They make it look like you can just go in the shop and purchase a class 3 weapon and take it home the same day.
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Here is a picture of my Rock River 458 Upper sitting on a Bushmaster XM15 lower with 100% authentic field mud still on it.

http://flic.kr/p/be7ake

If your just looking into getting one wait till you see the price for a box of loaded ammo on a good day your looking at $50 for 20 shots. If your the reloading type take a look at Outlaw State Bullets I am in no way affiliated with them they just offer a quality product at a great price. The uppers are very hard to find also at the moment you can get one right from Rock River but you will be waiting for about 6 weeks or more.

Outdoor WaterCooler
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#20]
this show makes me beat my head against the wall. the katana M4, the free float AK, the 20 shot "mustve been the pistol that Dirty Harry used"  Lefaucheux, and any other catastrophe theyve built....

i did like the 458 socom part if will wasnt in it....

oh how this show makes me look forward to the upcoming season of Swamp Men.
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Here is a picture of my Rock River 458 Upper sitting on a Bushmaster XM15 lower with 100% authentic field mud still on it.

If your just looking into getting one wait till you see the price for a box of loaded ammo on a good day your looking at $50 for 20 shots. If your the reloading type take a look at Outlaw State Bullets I am in no way affiliated with them they just offer a quality product at a great price. The uppers are very hard to find also at the moment you can get one right from Rock River but you will be waiting for about 6 weeks or more.

Outdoor WaterCooler

Link Posted: 1/17/2012 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I just got an email from Black hole weaponry saying they will be making barrels in the near future. Keep checking there web site.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I can't even watch those fools. They make it look like you can just go in the shop and purchase a class 3 weapon and take it home the same day.

And THAT is just one example of why that show is anything but 'harmless entertainment.'

I'm debating getting a Beowulf.  But I've always liked the SOCOM concept as well.

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#24]
If you watch in the show you can see the buffer drop on the floor when Kris assembles the AR.

Sure sounds like alot of work.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 8:17:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I just got an email from Black hole weaponry saying they will be making barrels in the near future. Keep checking there web site.

Read this.

Quoted:
Marty,

has Blackhole Weaponry been in contact with you about the .458? They're planning to offer barrels, I'd hate to see them get screwed with the wrong reamers.

No, BHW has not contacted me regarding the 458 so I would be hesitant WRT to chamber dimensions of their barrels.... hate to say it...

Link Posted: 1/21/2012 4:44:39 AM EDT
[#26]
I guess I am lucky with the reamer I have.  The barrel chamber, extension, bolt, and reciever mods have worked flawlesly the day I built it.  I am mainly shooting sub-sonic and reloading all.  I started out using 510gr and because of cost, tried Rem 405gr bulk bullets.  They will shoot 1" groups @ 100yds from my 9 1/2" barrel and standard AR trigger ect.  After taking 250lb. hogs with shoulder shots the 405gr sub-sonic is heavy enough.   Outlaw Bullets has some 405gr HP for sub-sonic that show to expand to .600 which should make more absorbed energy.  The Rem 405gr sub-sonic easily goes through the big hogs shoulders broadside and the Outlaw 405gr HP should transfer more energy to the body.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top