Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/7/2015 7:35:50 PM EDT
After much research on AR-15's chambered in 7.62 I finally decided to purchased a Windham AR in 7.62. Before I got the gun, I called Windham and asked if they had experienced any problems with the rifle. The tech on the phone told me that these rifles were designed to shoot cheap steel cased ammo and all the problems with light primer strikes and feeding had been addressed.  I've had the gun for awhile now and I've been shooting Tula out of it like crazy. IN approximately 700 rounds, the only problems that I have had is 2 FTFs and given the round count, I blame the ammo. With Windhams lifetime warranty, I don't think I'll ever be disappointed with this rifle.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#1]
What mags?

Are they still using the single feed ramp barrel extension?

Last question. Do they sell only uppers?
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What mags?

View Quote

They come with D&H 30 round mags. Pictured is a ASC 20 rounder. They have duel feed ramps but they are enlarged. Yes, they sell uppers separately. Oddly enough, I was able to get 7 rounds to fire consistently out of a 30 round P-MAG????? I tested this over and over to make sure it wasn't a fluke. I think this is a testament to the design of their feed ramps.

I can post more pics upon request if your interested.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Short barrel is best barrel

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Dude!!! Don't just post it, explain it. What all you got on that bad boy???

Let me guess:
Obviously Mag lower, but is that a Radical upper?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They come with D&H 30 round mags. Pictured is a ASC 20 rounder. They have duel feed ramps but they are enlarged. Yes, they sell uppers separately. Oddly enough, I was able to get 7 rounds to fire consistently out of a 30 round P-MAG????? I tested this over and over to make sure it wasn't a fluke. I think this is a testament to the design of their feed ramps.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What mags?

Pictures of the feed ramps would be nice. When they were bushmaster, they used the single large feed ramp. I always read that was one of the main things that needed to be addressed. Curious what they are doing different.

I also wanted to dissect the Armalite x39. But those have died off, and haven't seen one since 2011ish.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Ignore the dirty chamber, I just shot it. As you  can see, the feed ramps are bigger than 5.56. I have had no issues at all with feeding.

" />
Quoted:

Pictures of the feed ramps would be nice. When they were bushmaster, they used the single large feed ramp. I always read that was one of the main things that needed to be addressed. Curious what they are doing different.

I also wanted to dissect the Armalite x39. But those have died off, and haven't seen one since 2011ish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What mags?

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:48:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice!
Are they using an extended firing pin?
Do you have 5.56 FP to compare it to?
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, they have a special  firing pin that is longer for extra hard primers
Quoted:
Nice!
Are they using an extended firing pin?
Do you have 5.56 FP to compare it to?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 10:17:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I have some nice ak's, but this is still tempting.

BRD
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 11:50:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Let me guess:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Let me guess:

Enhanced firing pin
AIM factory BCG and 762x39 bolt
LWRCi ambi selector
H2
Sprinco Red
magpul ASAP
BFG sling
ALG 10"
Surefire x300
Surplus Ammo and Arms 16" barrel but to 12.5" and profiled SUPER light behind the gas block.
AAC single chamber brake
Bullshit Facog
ASC 28rnd mags

It'll get stamped sooner or later. pistols are gay
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Are you thinking of their version of the 308AR perhaps? The one that uses FAL mags that was attempted by Bushmaster then Rock River took it over?
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are you thinking of their version of the 308AR perhaps? The one that uses FAL mags that was attempted by Bushmaster then Rock River took it over?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the x39 AR15. Or xm15,whatever bushy used to call it. They had one large feed ramp for the x39 rifles.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Windham makes great stuff, I am not surprised at all. I've been looking at a AK style platform to shoot cheap x39 out of but since I love my Windham SRC in 5.56 I may have to give this a look. I have no problem with the 5.56 as a hog round but one of these would be pretty awesome up close.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#14]
OP, what kind of accuracy are you seeing from this upper?  From your post, it clearly digests the cheap stuff just fine (I agree 2 out of 700 steel case Tula is most likely ammo not rifle), but how does it shoot?  Have you tried any of the better grade ammo?  

Hornady makes some affordable 7.62x39 steel case loaded with their SST bullet, and I have been thinking a WW 7.62x39 upper would make a good companion to my WW SRC 5.56 carbine, which has been lights out as far as reliability for years, and shoots pretty decent as well.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:45:30 PM EDT
[#15]
What parts to a AR 5.56 can you use on a AR platform for a 7.62X39?
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:51:47 PM EDT
[#16]
For 7.62X39 AR build you need barrel, Bolt group, extended firing pin, .30 muzzle attachment and specific 7.62X39 mags.
All else can be 5.56/223 standard AR parts
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For 7.62X39 AR build you need barrel, Bolt group, extended firing pin, .30 muzzle attachment and specific 7.62X39 mags.
View Quote

FIFY
Maybe buffer/spring depending on what you're running in your 556
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:58:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

I meant bolt and parts. I'm not sure but the extractor may also be X39 specific.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 11:01:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

I just finished building and running my 762*39 through some range testing. I would recomend a Heavy Buffer. Only issue i had was ejected brass was hitting deflector and denting brass neck. Bolt is cycling to fast for the cases to eject properly.

II used the Crosshills Tech BCG that already has mods and firing pin. We ran 100 rounds of the cheapest garbage import ammo i could find without a single Failure to Fire.

Link Posted: 12/10/2015 8:44:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I run a H3 buffer in my carbine extension.
It shoots softer than most of my 5.56 AR's.
I also have over 1400 rounds through each of my X39 AR's running Wolf, Tula, S&B & GT.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I just finished building and running my 762*39 through some range testing. I would recomend a Heavy Buffer. Only issue i had was ejected brass was hitting deflector and denting brass neck. Bolt is cycling to fast for the cases to eject properly.

II used the Crosshills Tech BCG that already has mods and firing pin. We ran 100 rounds of the cheapest garbage import ammo i could find without a single Failure to Fire.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

I use an H2 and a sprinco red. great combo
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#22]
OP, I am looking at doing the same thing.  A few questions:
-What type of accuracy are you getting?  
-Which Magpul handguard is that?  
-On that handguard, is it possible to add a picatinny bottom rail or a swivel stud?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Haven't done any benchrest accuracy tests as of yet. The handguard is the Magpul SL and yes you can add a picatinny rail on the bottom.

Quoted:
OP, I am looking at doing the same thing.  A few questions:
-What type of accuracy are you getting?  
-Which Magpul handguard is that?  
-On that handguard, is it possible to add a picatinny bottom rail or a swivel stud?

Thanks,
View Quote

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top