Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2012 5:06:17 PM EDT
Anyone ever do business with Exile Machine?  Good/bad?

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/6-rubber-pistol-buffer-tube-cover-fde-50210.html

It's a cheap enough part that I placed an order for one without knowing anything about the business.  I had been looking for a place to buy a brown or tan thread protector type cover which has a closed end (to use in lieu of a cane tip) but this has a closed end and looks for all the world like a textured vinyl thread protector.

ETA: picture of production version:

See my short review below!
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like the same color of para cord I used to wrap my mil-spec buffer.

Post a review when it comes in.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's the same material as their black pistol buffer tube covers (and it most likely is), it is the absolute best thing to use to cover an aluminum buffer tube. It's cushioning but doesn't absorb water, sweat and smells like open cell foam covers. The rubber cover is continuous and helps keep the pistol from slipping when you lean it up against the safe wall. it's not too thick so as to interfere with the normal operation of the charging handle. There simply isnt a better option to cover a buffer tube short of a stock.

Link Posted: 7/25/2012 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Will it fit a RRA pistol buffer tube?
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 6:50:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I would assume so?  If the length was an issue they say you can cut it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes it will
I have the same thing in black on a RR tube
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyone ever do business with Exile Machine?  Good/bad?

Exile has always been GTG for me.

Link Posted: 7/27/2012 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Says it won't be in stock until Sep 3rd.  Looks pretty good though, I think I'll place an order for one.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#8]
For ten bucks, I'm willing to wait.  There's really nothing else like it out there and I'm glad I came across it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#9]
A few orders from Exile Machine, and no problems, fast shipping, and good stuff.  Have bought the rubber buffer tube covers, and they fit perfect.  Easy to install and don't rotate.  Also two Spike's pistol buffer tubes... they're GTG.

That is all...

Link Posted: 7/28/2012 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#10]
When I ordered this it said delivery August 1st, 2012, now they moved it out a month' no email or any delivery change message from them
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Same here, I'm guessing they're filling a quota since it's a pre-order?
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 8:23:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it will
I have the same thing in black on a RR tube

Thanks....
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 9:34:07 AM EDT
[#13]
FYI y'all, these things are shipping now.  It is no longer a pre-order!
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
FYI y'all, these things are shipping now.  It is no longer a pre-order!

Mine shipped also
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Also got my shipping notification.  Look forward to doing a short review!
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 8:48:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Mine shipped as well.   Hopefully the FDE color looks good.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 6:08:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Just FYI, the image in the OP is an artist's rendering of the color made prior to receipt of the actual parts.  
Here is a photo of an installed production FDE rubber cover next to some Magpul FDE products:

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#18]
that looks really nice!
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Any idea if it will fit a Quentin Defense tube?
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Haven't tried one of the FDE covers on a QD tube yet but it should fit.  The black cover fits and the dimensions are the same.  That being said the QD tube is very thick (at least the newer model they are making with the contiguous raised knurled section as opposed to the tube shown on their website which is not currently being produced), and adding any cover to that very thick tube may give you issues with the charging handle.  We've got a shipment of QD tubes on order so once those come in we'll put them together with some of the FDE covers and verify the charging handle clearance.  Right now we have them listed as a fit on our Pistol Buffer Tube Cover Fit Chart based on our experience with the black covers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Got mine in the mail today, very impressed.  Texture is nice.  Color is near-perfect match for my Magpul FDE stuff, it's just a touch lighter but hardly noticeable.

I cut mine down to length to use as more of an easily removable cap for a mil-spec outer diameter CAR tube (Vltor A5, actually.)  I wanted it to be easily removable since i sometimes put a 16" upper and stock on this lower.  My length ended up being about 1.75" after cutting, and it's pretty easy to work on and off and doesn't even come close to falling off.

Before I cut it, I was able to wriggle the cover on quite a ways, more than I thought I would be able to on a CAR tube.  If you were really persistent and maybe used some kind of evaporating lube, you could probably get it on all the way.

Here are the pics:

Again, for those that skipped to the pics, I cut mine down to 1.75" for use as an easily removable cap to my CAR tube.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 12:40:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I wanted it to be easily removable since i sometimes put a 16" upper and stock on this lower.

Just in case you're not aware, if you do this on an unregistered NFA lower you're committing a crime.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 2:26:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wanted it to be easily removable since i sometimes put a 16" upper and stock on this lower.

Just in case you're not aware, if you do this on an unregistered NFA lower you're committing a crime.

As long as he built it as a pistol first he can turn it into a rifle and back as often as he likes as long as there is never a stock and short barrel on it at the same time
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as he built it as a pistol first he can turn it into a rifle and back as often as he likes as long as there is never a stock and short barrel on it at the same time

wrong.  But Im not going to argue and run off track.  Just letting the guy know he should do some research, and definitely not admit to it in an open forum.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 8:03:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wrong.  But Im not going to argue and run off track.  Just letting the guy know he should do some research, and definitely not admit to it in an open forum.

No, you're misinformed.  Here is the letter straight from the ATF website saying a pistol can be turned into a rifle and back to a pistol as often as you want:

http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#26]
That's interesting.  All the scanned letters in the pinned thread in this sub forum say the frame can only be used for pistol if it has NEVER been a rifle.  ever.  period.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That's interesting.  All the scanned letters in the pinned thread in this sub forum say the frame can only be used for pistol if it has NEVER been a rifle.  ever.  period.

That's true unless it was first built as a pistol.  If it started as a rifle it can not be turned into a pistol but if it started as a pistol it can be swapped back and forth
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Read the linked letter from the ATF's freaking website before you come back to derail this thread some more.

Again: http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Here's a better-quality picture:

Click to embiggen!

If it looks darker than the BCM grip, that's because it is.  The BCM grip is closer to desert tan IMO, not really close at all to Magpul FDE.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 6:27:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Excuse me for trying to help a brother out based off of LETTERS FROM THE ATF. dont have to be a jerk about it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm just tired of hearing the same line of BS again and again when the ATF has made their position clear to the public, not through some letter sent to a private individual.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Is there any other way to install these without using the hand sanitize stuff?  I wanna give one of these a try for my Spikes pistol build but don't want it to be a pain to get on.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Is there any other way to install these without using the hand sanitize stuff?  I wanna give one of these a try for my Spikes pistol build but don't want it to be a pain to get on.

These covers slide on to a Spike's tube without need for any lube.  It is possible to work the cover back off without destroying it but it will not slip off during use.

For other manufacturer's tubes the hand sanitizer gel makes it very easy, it's not a pain at all.  A great way to go if you don't have an air compressor handy.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

These covers slide on to a Spike's tube without need for any lube.  It is possible to work the cover back off without destroying it but it will not slip off during use.

For other manufacturer's tubes the hand sanitizer gel makes it very easy, it's not a pain at all.  A great way to go if you don't have an air compressor handy.

Thanks for the response, I will get one ordered soon then.

Link Posted: 9/22/2012 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I didnt use any lube of any kind...
Warm  them up, slide them on
I've done this three times, one of the three didnt want to slide on all the way, so using my air compressor I shot some air between it and the buffer tube then it slipped right on

Link Posted: 9/22/2012 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I wonder if you could use compressed air in a can (keyboard duster) the same way.  You could even slip the little red tube under the cover.
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Mine slid right on no problem and stays put.  mathces my ergo grip included in the spikes tactical lpk and and magpul afg very well
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Got mine...a couple shots of air and it was on.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 9:33:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Mine went right onto the RRA tubes. No issues.  They don't pull off, with force.  Very happy with them.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 5:46:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Sweet! Mine should be here today :) Going on an RRA tube for my 9mm build.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#42]
I just received my rubber buffer tube from Exile, I must say that this product is a great product. I would also like to give them props for no tax to TX residents and flat rate shipping.  Since I live about 45 min from their warehouse, it was next day shipping!  These guys are doing things right!
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 5:31:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 5:46:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Remove
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 11:35:41 PM EDT
[#45]
That's a sexy rifle spart....
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top