Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have one of the IDF surplus scopes from APEX. Very nice scope. Mine came in better shape than the one above. Pure pick of the draw. Some were better than mine.

Peasant,

Where did you get the scope and how much did it run you?

Thanks.

+1
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have one of the IDF surplus scopes from APEX. Very nice scope. Mine came in better shape than the one above. Pure pick of the draw. Some were better than mine.

Peasant,

Where did you get the scope and how much did it run you?

Thanks.

+1
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#3]
APEX Gunparts had them a year or so ago but is out.

There customer service is horrid so beware if dealing with them.  Lots of complaints.

The IDF scopes on the other hand were awesome.

Hal
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 2:47:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Google... March sample S.A.R  Eyes Of The Falcon. Elbit Falcon This would be a nice retro addition !
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#5]
What about this scope from Sportsman's Guide?

Barska 4x20 Scope

It looks very similar to the scope in Jeepingpw's post.  Except his is 3x20 of course.

And yes, I know it is not mounted on a real AR.  That's just the advertising photo from the Sportsman's Guide site.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Early Colt scopes were made in the USA...sometime later, they went with a Japanese manufacturer - name eludes me.  I think that same company also made the same scope without Colt logo and sold it for less money.  So, basically the same as a later Colt scope but no logo.

DId TASCO make them for Colt???
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Early Colt scopes were made in the USA...sometime later, they went with a Japanese manufacturer - name eludes me.  I think that same company also made the same scope without Colt logo and sold it for less money.  So, basically the same as a later Colt scope but no logo.

Don't know about Tasco but Hakko of Japan did.

Hal

Link Posted: 2/24/2009 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#8]
When I worked for Kodak in the early 1980s, they were working on a M16 scope as a competitor to Trijicon.  Never got military enthusiam compared to trijicon, and only about 20 were ever made but it had rather advanced features for the time  and interesting day/night adapter.  Its  picture is in the first edition of "the Black Rifle"  If someone can help me figure out how to post pics, I'll see if I can post a few.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 3:30:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The early U.S.A. scopes were made by Realist.  The Japanese made scopes may be Hakko though I remember seeing a photo of one with a sticker on it that read "Inspected by Asia Optical - Japan."

Link Posted: 2/25/2009 5:43:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Midway has the same scope (Midway Barska) as well as a similar one by Leapers (Midway Leapers).

They have another version of the Leapers but that one is Out of Stock, No Backorder (Midway Leapers 2).  Looks like the same scope without the illuminated reticle.

The Barska got better reviews, and for $50, it's not much of a risk.

Cabela's also has the Barska (Cabela's Barska)

I'll just buy the Barska and report in this thread (with pictures) my evaluation.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 11:38:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you tried Trijicon?

http://www.trijicon-inc.com/User/parts/parts_new.cfm?categoryID=6

I sent emails to the Trijicon rep on M4carbine.net and he never returned my email.

Just try e-mailing them directly or a phone call.  Usually they have been pretty quick to respond to e-mails.  I[span style='font-style: italic;'] think it used to be listed as $35 on Trijicon's site.

They don't service them anymore.

I know why.   A couple of years ago I sent trijicon one I've had for 25 years and another I found at a pawn shop for $25.  It was supposed to cost $45 each to replace the tritium.  For some reason they were supposed to call for payment when they received them.  Soon I received them back bright as new.  I called and tried to pay for the service.  They took my name and number and I never heard back.  Not a very good business model.

Link Posted: 2/25/2009 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I think that an ACOG looks pretty slick mounted on an a1 carry handle.
When I can get a deal on one, an NSN is going on my m16a1 clone.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 12:53:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
 It was supposed to cost $45 each to replace the tritium.  For some reason they were supposed to call for payment when they received them.  Soon I received them back bright as new.  

I would love to get mine going again for that price.

Link Posted: 2/25/2009 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an Elbit Falcon is is my favorite sighting device (currently on a Daewoo K2). The intensity of the dot changes based upon the ambient light. In bright light the "dot" intensity increases, and low light it gets dimmer. The change is almost immediate. I don't know why more sighting systems do not have it.

On another note, you all may laugh at me, but I have an early Red Star AR15 copy of the Colt 3X20, and except for the markings I cannot tell a difference with the Colt. I've had it many years and it has taken a beating and keeps on going. The glass is clear and it holds zero just fine. My only issue with it is " RED STAR" printed on the top.

On my Colt SP1, I have a Marksman Elite "M-16 Marksman" - that is a nice scope.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Why not just slap a 3 x 9 on with some kind of mount?  Weren't a few used like that?  I'll be on the lookout for pics.
Link Posted: 3/10/2009 6:38:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/10/2009 7:37:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think that an ACOG looks pretty slick mounted on an a1 carry handle.
When I can get a deal on one, an NSN is going on my m16a1 clone.

I agree - if I had the coin, that's what I'd want to use on the C7 build. FWIW, my Russian PK-01 red dot is a commie version of an Aimpoint, very tough, and has a self-adjusting brightness feature like the Elbit Falcon mentioned. For now I'll be running an old Aimpoint 1000 on a Smith enterprises CH mount. Gotta get the barrel work done 1st! I'll try and take a pic today.
Link Posted: 3/10/2009 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Tgus has it right.  

I've got the base, still on the hunt for the scope.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's an early US made scope with thin crosshairs.

Link Posted: 3/13/2009 6:44:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top