Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/24/2010 7:00:01 AM EDT
A couple things had me thinking about operation Just Cause in '89.  It was 20 years ago this week that I redeployed after the invasion.  Then yesterday I was at Costco, and they had cases of Mexican Coke that reminded me of the bottles of Coke that they had in Panama (the retro Pepsi pic some one else posted must have been fresh in my mind)
I gathered up my souvenirs and my A2 and here you go, A2s may not be retro yet (or are they?), but I thought I would share:

My Colt 6551 with an USGI A2 barrel
My 1988 vintage Beretta 92
My issued M9 bayonet (with the bottle opener on the guard for those retro Cokes)
The map of the DZ I carried, along with the US flag, glint tape, Bible, A Paratrooper Faith's book  and rules of deployment card (the ACOG fiasco makes me wonder if they still pass out Bibles when deploying)  
A Panamanian flag from one of the PDF's compounds, AK bayonet and other souvenirs.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 7:06:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool display.
I've been thinking a lot about Just Cause the last several days for some reason.
It keep popping up.
I didn't realize it had been 20 years.
Man time flies!
Hmmm...
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 7:39:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Very nice display! Thanks for your service,and welcome home!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 7:40:04 AM EDT
[#3]
My AFRES squadron deployed to Howard AFB 3 weeks after the invasion for a VOLANT OAK rotation; Bush had declared the emergency over and the PDF disarmed...HAHAHAHA!!!

We went out on the town and visited some of the sites...Noriega's apartment, with the Xmas tree still up...A demolished building (pounded by AC-130 gunship), the police HQ, I think...The open air compound where the PDF prisoners were being kept...(with them yelling to remind us they were still being held)...

The atmosphere was still pretty tense...Holdouts still being run down...

Most interesting thing about the deployment was reading the walls of the sh*tters...

I used to have a T-shirt that had US paratroopers dropping out of the sky, and a pineapple-faced dictator looking over his shoulder and saying "Goddamn it George, I said I wanted a Bud Light! Not 5th ID, Light!!!"...  

I think I still have a PDF belt buckle around here somewhere...REMF's have it easy...  
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#4]
The Specter AC130s were amazing. In fact the glint tape was to let them know who the good guys were (we had some on our helmets too) Nothing like putting your faith in a little piece of reflective cloth!

I had not really thought much about the deployment until recently, funny how fast 20 years goes by and that I am now older than many of my unit leaders were back in the 80's.  A lot of them were Vietnam Vets and it kind of puts the time line into perspective.   That is why I like the retro forum, it is like a little reminder of history with each post.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Cool display. Panama '89 was the first military operation where I was old enough to realize (vaguely) what was going on; I was 10.

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I was 22.
I remember it well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 10:04:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cool display. Panama '89 was the first military operation where I was old enough to realize (vaguely) what was going on; I was 10.

Man, I am getting old
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man, I am getting old

Nah, just smarter.

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

(the ACOG fiasco makes me wonder if they still pass out Bibles when deploying)
The Gideons are a private organization, and still do distribute Bibles to the military.

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I was 17 then.  What I find interesting is a lot of photo's I've seen of Just Cause showed a lot of guys carrying A1's.  And these were Rangers.  You carried an A2?  

And that brings me to something else.  Myself being a proponent of the ole A2, I don't even know when they were adpopted into our military.  I've probably read it before, but I didn't train it to memory.  Can anyone tell me?  I should just google, I guess.  

I love everything about that picture.  In my opinion, the beretta is a darn nice handgun.  Good pic!
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 11:19:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

My AFRES squadron deployed to Howard AFB 3 weeks after the invasion for a VOLANT OAK rotation; Bush had declared the emergency over and the PDF disarmed...HAHAHAHA!!!

We went out on the town and visited some of the sites...Noriega's apartment, with the Xmas tree still up...A demolished building (pounded by AC-130 gunship), the police HQ, I think...The open air compound where the PDF prisoners were being kept...(with them yelling to remind us they were still being held)...

The atmosphere was still pretty tense...Holdouts still being run down...

Most interesting thing about the deployment was reading the walls of the sh*tters...

I used to have a T-shirt that had US paratroopers dropping out of the sky, and a pineapple-faced dictator looking over his shoulder and saying "Goddamn it George, I said I wanted a Bud Light! Not 5th ID, Light!!!"...

I think I still have a PDF belt buckle around here somewhere...REMF's have it easy...

Was that building a church, by chance?

Just askin'

Nick

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I miss woodland camo.  I think it looks and works much better than ACU.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
We went out on the town and visited some of the sites...A demolished building (pounded by AC-130 gunship), the police HQ, I think...

Just askin'

Nick

I don't know...It was just rubble when we saw it...Mostly tiles, IIRC...A CMS from a Guard unit took us around; he was there when "the zoomies were flying all over the place"...  

If you were there, then you know more about it than me...I just saw the aftermath...  

(And got the T-shirt!)  
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Same here. The BDU was (and is) a sharp looking uniform. ACUs might be more "functional," but they look like crap.

Rangers in Panama, 1989:

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I was 17 then.  What I find interesting is a lot of photo's I've seen of Just Cause showed a lot of guys carrying A1's.  And these were Rangers.  You carried an A2?  

And that brings me to something else.  Myself being a proponent of the ole A2, I don't even know when they were adpopted into our military.  I've probably read it before, but I didn't train it to memory.  Can anyone tell me?  I should just google, I guess.  

I love everything about that picture.  In my opinion, the beretta is a darn nice handgun.  Good pic!

Adopted 1982, but did not begin to see widespread issue until 1986 or so.

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here. The BDU was (and is) a sharp looking uniform. ACUs might be more "functional," but they look like crap.

Rangers in Panama, 1989:

http://www.lessignets.com/signetsdiane/calendrier/images/dec/20/Operation_Just_Cause_Rangers241.jpg

I like ERDL better than Woodland, personally. My ERDL shirt looks to have more brown in it, and the edges are fuzzier. I think the foliage green ACU stuff like the FLC is pretty good, but too shiny - of course, all new gear starts out shiny, but I don't plan on doing any low-crawling in it. Maybe I'll just hang electrician's pouches off it and wear it to work.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 3:55:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We went out on the town and visited some of the sites...A demolished building (pounded by AC-130 gunship), the police HQ, I think...

Just askin'

Nick

I don't know...It was just rubble when we saw it...Mostly tiles, IIRC...A CMS from a Guard unit took us around; he was there when "the zoomies were flying all over the place"...

If you were there, then you know more about it than me...I just saw the aftermath...

(And got the T-shirt!)

Not me, but my best friend was in 82nd and related a story about a church they worked over.

He said afterward that a person could have pushed it over.

He also related that there was one whole hell of alot more resistance then the nightly news related.

Nick

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I like the Beretta's too, so in the spirit of woodland camo, Rangers (former Ranger shirt) and Beretta's:

I picked this M9 marked Beretta up at a local gun shop, I thought that it was cool being M9 marked with the rack number and all beat to heck.  I have 3 others but this one is the coolest. I think that it came from Blackwater (about 20 minutes from me).

Rob

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#19]
We still had A1's when I went to Honduras with Redcom's RDJTF in '87...
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Cool Beretta M9!
Is that your Combat Infantry Badge?
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Cool Beretta M9!
Is that your Combat Infantry Badge?

Thank you..No, not my shirt, just from my militaria collection.  Unfortunately I never did join the military. My plans were to go to college and then join but instead I went to college and then into law enforcement where I've been for 18 fast years. No military, one of my few regrets.

Rob

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rangers in Panama, 1989:

http://www.lessignets.com/signetsdiane/calendrier/images/dec/20/Operation_Just_Cause_Rangers241.jpg

I can not agree more. I think the BDU looks better than the ACU but having actually been assigned to Clayton in the good old days when Jungle Fatigues were still authorized for wear in Panama. NOTHING and I mean nothing looks better than Jungle Fatigues when they are pressed and starched, I remember when they phased them out I about cried.
 Ft Clayton was an awesome place to be assigned, it is a real toss up as to whether or not it was better or Germany was.

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#23]
One of the guys who works with me is on his way back to Iraq for the 3rd time, he says that the ACU's are no good over there and the Army is already looking for something new...
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#24]

A2  with  82nd ARB rigger modified  large alice pack, given to me by a  1Sgt in the Rangers that was there

ETA he was there not the ruck
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the Beretta's too, so in the spirit of woodland camo, Rangers (former Ranger shirt) and Beretta's:

I picked this M9 marked Beretta up at a local gun shop, I thought that it was cool being M9 marked with the rack number and all beat to heck.  I have 3 others but this one is the coolest. I think that it came from Blackwater (about 20 minutes from me).

Rob

I'm lovin' that 92FS!
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 6:51:14 PM EDT
[#27]
It's an M9
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Adopted 1982, but did not begin to see widespread issue until 1986 or so.

It was adopted almost 30 years ago, but it's not retro. OK.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rangers in Panama, 1989:

I can not agree more. I think the BDU looks better than the ACU but having actually been assigned to Clayton in the good old days when Jungle Fatigues were still authorized for wear in Panama. NOTHING and I mean nothing looks better than Jungle Fatigues when they are pressed and starched, I remember when they phased them out I about cried.

Ft Clayton was an awesome place to be assigned, it is a real toss up as to whether or not it was better or Germany was.

Agree wholeheartedly. The Jungle Fatigues are an all-time classic. I mean how can someone not like a uniform based on the M1942 jump suit?

(Now we're getting really retro!

)

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rangers in Panama, 1989:

Agree wholeheartedly. The Jungle Fatigues are an all-time classic. I mean how can someone not like a uniform based on the M1942 jump suit?

http://users.skynet.be/jeeper/guth31.jpghttp://imagecache.allposters.com/images/pic/LIFPOD/553909%7EUS-Army-Captain-Robert-Bacon-Leading-a-Patrol-During-the-Early-Years-of-the-Vietnam-War-Posters.jpg

(Now we're getting really retro!
)

Yup the two things that really pissed me off about leaving Panama was not being able to wear Jungle Fatigues any more and not be allowed to wear my Jungle Expert badge

Link Posted: 1/25/2010 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Quoted:

The Gideons are a private organization, and still do distribute Bibles to the military.

Yep', and I still have mine too.
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rangers in Panama, 1989:

You sure those are not SEAL's or S/F? The long hair on the one, the mustaches on the others, and the non reg' face paint almost certainly makes them something besides Rangers.

Link Posted: 1/25/2010 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep', and I still have mine too.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rangers in Panama, 1989:

You sure those are not SEAL's or S/F? The long hair on the one, the mustaches on the others, and the non reg' face paint almost certainly makes them something besides Rangers.

You could be right; the photo might be mis-captioned.

Link Posted: 1/25/2010 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rangers in Panama, 1989:

I can not agree more. I think the BDU looks better than the ACU but having actually been assigned to Clayton in the good old days when Jungle Fatigues were still authorized for wear in Panama. NOTHING and I mean nothing looks better than Jungle Fatigues when they are pressed and starched, I remember when they phased them out I about cried.  Ft Clayton was an awesome place to be assigned, it is a real toss up as to whether or not it was better or Germany was.

http://users.skynet.be/jeeper/guth31.jpghttp://imagecache.allposters.com/images/pic/LIFPOD/553909%7EUS-Army-Captain-Robert-Bacon-Leading-a-Patrol-During-the-Early-Years-of-the-Vietnam-War-Posters.jpg

(Now we're getting really retro! )

We were issued jungles at my first assignment.  I just checked my closest where I keep some old stuff and found  a top nicely preserved, starched, names tags, Strategic Air Command patch and SP badge still intact.  I remember the top of the top pockets were angled on the older version and the newer ones were horizontal.  It was a method of quickly identifying someone that had been at the base for awhile vs. a newcomer.  This was before the AF transitioned to BDU's, so jungles were "cooler" (in more ways than one) then the old USAF frog uniforms.
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#34]
*Real* soldiers bring back their utilities...boots...covers [hats to you]...  

Clerks, supply sergeants, Air Force pukes, and girl scouts bring back...T-SHIRTS!!!  

...And here's a blast from the past for the rest of you who were in Viet Nam...  

Link Posted: 1/25/2010 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Anyone ever goto the Ancon Club while in Panama?
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top