Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/23/2011 10:21:54 AM EDT
The other day, kfields' first post (together with my rack-numbered Type D stock) got me thinking about arms room weapon receipt cards.  For anyone who doesn't already know, the idea is that each soldier would be issued one of these cards, and whenever you went to draw your rifle from the armory, you would turn in your card, and they would give you your rifle.  If the arms room had your card, and you didn't have your rifle, that could only mean you lost it (or it "fell off the back of the truck"), and you'd be in deep sh—!

I went looking for a printable version of the DA Form 3749, but all I could find were the 2009 and 1982 revisions of the form; these clearly would not do, as the revision date is printed right on the card and everyone knows that 1982 isn't retro!  I did learn from Lee Emerson's "M14 Rifle History and Development" book that the 1 Aug 1971 version of the form was apparently the first version.

So I thought at the time it should be fairly easy to reproduce the 1971 version.  Little did I know what I was in for.  I enlisted the aid of a friend who is something of a typophile to help me identify the fonts used on the original card.  While not apparent at first glance, it turns out there are at least five distinct typefaces on the original, not counting the typewriter used to fill in the fields.  The layout and spacing is somewhat irregular, as might be expected from a document that was originally created with a physical monotype or linotype machine instead of a computer word processor.

In the end, I think we managed to get the fonts almost perfect.  The spacing is close, but not perfect; I didn't really feel like going pixel by pixel from the original.  The printed dimensions of the cards were derived from the 1982 version.  I even found a reproduction of the typewriter font used to fill in kfields' card.

The reproduction DA Form 3749, 1 Aug 71, now exists as a 12.3 Mb, 4631x6440 pixel, printable at 600 dpi, Photoshop .psd file on my computer.  I have a blank version in .png format which weighs in at 626 kb.  I printed the cards pictured below on "ivory" (off-white) 110 lb card stock.  The "typewriter" fill-text is rotated half a degree from horizontal to simulate the paper not being quite perfectly straight in the typewriter as the card was filled.

They're "fake but accurate".  More than good enough to fool Dan Rather anyway.

(DISCLAIMER:  Units, ranks, and serial numbers are fictionalized!  I wasn't even born in '71, and I'm just a museum nerd.  But they are plausible for the pictured "1969" M16A1 build.  D/1-506 saw the last major ground battle involving US forces in Vietnam, at FSB Ripcord in July 1970, then returned stateside in December 1971, by which time this type of card could have been used.)

Reference image of the front and back of the card.  Full version is high resolution to permit printing at 600 dpi.

Sample page layout.  Full version has fine crop marks to facilitate cutting.  Print on both sides; one 8.5x11" sheet makes 8 cards.

Anyway, the full .png version is too large to put on Photobucket, but if anyone wants a copy so they can have a go at printing their own, just e-mail me through the forum's e-mail function and I'll send you the file.

ETA:  Files now hosted on Google Documents:

DA Form 3749, 1 Aug 71 (fillable .pdf version)

DA Form 3749, 1 Aug 71 (blank .pdf version)

DA Form 3749, 1 Aug 71 (.png image version)

Do NOT scale to fit page when printing.

And one more 603 picture just because...

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 10:37:38 AM EDT
[#1]
That is very cool. I have been thinking of the same thing. good work!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty cool. Although, I do have the one I was issued in 1982 still. I'll have to dig it out to check the date on it.

Doc
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Neat project!  They look great.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 12:14:57 PM EDT
[#4]
This is why retroland is the best section in arfcom

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice, flatdarkmars! It's little things like that that will set a build apart. Great job!
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 12:34:38 PM EDT
[#6]
you should contact TexSquirrel and see if he can put your file up on RBR somewhere, so it will be available to all the retroheads
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I should also note that this is an Army form.  The Navy and Marine Corps had their own equivalent, and I'm not sure about the Air Force.

From Lee Emerson's "M14 Rifle History and Development"

Troops issued M14 rifles were given a wallet-sized “weapons card.” The card was known as a Weapon Custody Receipt (Form 4430) in the U. S. Navy and U. S. Marine Corps. Form 4430 was created in June 1961 and later revised in March 1976. The original Form 4430 contained the following information: organization, person to whom the weapon was issued to and his Service Number, signature and grade of the Commanding Officer, weapon description, weapon serial number and the storage rack number. The March 1976 revision replaced the Service Number with the serviceman’s Social Security Number and added a Privacy Act Statement on one side. Accordingly, “THIS FORM IS USED TO DETERMINE WHO HAS CUSTODY OF WEAPON AND TO ESTABLISH RESPONSIBILITY FOR CONTROL, CARE AND SAFEKEEPING.”

The weapons card in the U. S. Army was DA Form 3749 Equipment Receipt. The DA Form 3749 was promulgated on August 01, 1971 and later revised in January 1982. The DA Form 3749 was still in use by the U. S. Army 1st Infantry Division as late as May 2005 for issuance of small arms. When a serviceman went to retrieve his M14 rifle he gave the Weapon Custody Receipt or “weapons card” to the armorer. The armorer issued the rifle to the serviceman and placed his “weapons card” in the bottom of the rack where the individual’s rifle was stored. Upon return of the M14 rifle to the arms storage room, the service member was given back his weapons card.

If anyone can furnish me with a copy of the Navy/Marines Form 4430 (either 1961 or 1976 version), I could reverse-engineer a blank printable version of it as well.  I would also appreciate any input as to what the Air Force used.

ETA:  Also, if there was an Army equivalent prior to 1971, I haven't found it, and would appreciate any available information on that subject as well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#8]
hell, my unit does not even use them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#9]
It is truely amazing to me the stuff that comes out of retroland! Great job Flat!!!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey flatdarkmars,  That looks great! Thanks for sharing the results!
As I recall, because of the way the rifle racks were set up in the armsroom, the painted on number on the rifle butt was in white at the top rear base of the rifle butt so it could easily be seen and issued out by the armsroom clerk. Small details I know!

Kim "kfields"
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Small details I know!

You may have noticed that we obsess pay attention to that sort of thing.

Rack numbers and their various formats/locations/colors have been discussed a little around here before.  I made the receipt number on my card match the faded rack number on the Type D stock I have.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#12]
In 1968 at Ubon I did not have a card for the 38 kept in the safe in my office. No card for the one in the survival vest when I went for a ride in a F4D in 1969 out of Danang. Of course I did not have one for the 45 I did not have that was kept under my pillow at Danang.  Can't have a card for something that did not exist.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#13]
D T sorry
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 6:54:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In 1968 at Ubon I did not have a card for the 38 kept in the safe in my office. No card for the one in the survival vest when I went for a ride in a F4D in 1969 out of Danang. Of course I did not have one for the 45 I did not have that was kept under my pillow at Danang.  Can't have a card for something that did not exist.

Was the .38 in your office safe an issue weapon or a personal weapon?
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 6:11:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Issue as the Maintenance Officer I kept one to issue to any maintenance people who flew as extra crew members always needed extra  flare throwers or spotters. Line chief and I just kept track of who had it and got it back when the Blind Bat bird  returned
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 7:03:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll check a 1950's business-y-ish type writer I have at home that has almost the same font as some 1950's Army papers that I have.  The letters are a dead ringer for the papers I have, but the numbers were more formal.  Looking at the numbers on the card you made I think those are the same numbers that my type writer has (if my memory isn't playing tricks on me).
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 7:25:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I've sent the file to several members who requested it.  If you sent me a request and did not receive the file, please e-mail me again.  Also, feel free to share pictures if you get some printed up; I know some of you can make a much more interesting display than I did, given the array of period militaria I've seen on this forum in the past.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 7:59:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Also just a thanks for posting this (and sending me the png).  I'm on track for completing a clone of the M16A1 my step-pa had in the army to give to him for his birthday. I'm going to print up one of these cards and fill it out as truthfully as I can and then include it in his birthday card and then sit back and watch as he puts 2 and 2 together.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#19]
flatdarkmars,

First off, from one graphics guy to another, very impressive work.

You could also convert the original psd file into a fill-in PDF set for high resolution printing.

If you embed the typewriter font in the PDF, people would be able to fill in and print the form from Acrobat Reader.

Just my 0.02 on a fantastic job.

David
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 9:00:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You could also convert the original psd file into a fill-in PDF set for high resolution printing.

If you embed the typewriter font in the PDF, people would be able to fill in and print the form from Acrobat Reader.

This thought had occurred to me, but I haven't done enough work with .pdfs to be familiar with the details.  Is this something that requires the use of Adobe's (expensive) software, or is there a decent freeware equivalent that can produce fillable .pdf forms?  I am familiar with some 'print-to-pdf' software that makes a standard (non-fillable) .pdf out of any printable image or document, but don't know about doing the fillable .pdf forms.

Incidentally, I tried using a 'print-to-.pdf' program.  Someone recommended one to me called Bullzip.  But for some reason it can't handle this image and crashes whenever I try to 'print' a .pdf of it.

ETA: I will probably look into this myself this evening.  But for now I need to finish up and take some pictures of my 629 build.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 9:19:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This thought had occurred to me, but I haven't done enough work with .pdfs to be familiar with the details.  Is this something that requires the use of Adobe's (expensive) software, or is there a decent freeware equivalent that can produce fillable .pdf forms?  I am familiar with some 'print-to-pdf' software that makes a standard (non-fillable) .pdf out of any printable image or document, but don't know about doing the fillable .pdf forms.

Incidentally, I tried using a 'print-to-.pdf' program.  Someone recommended one to me called Bullzip.  But for some reason it can't handle this image and crashes whenever I try to 'print' a .pdf of it.

ETA: I will probably look into this myself this evening.  But for now I need to finish up and take some pictures of my 629 build.

Flatdarkmars,

I'm not aware of any freeware that would enable you to create fill in forms.  Either Adobe Acrobat Professional (expensive) or Nuance (less expensive) can do this quickly and simply.

If you want, email me the original psd and a copy of the font file and I'll put something together for your approval.

David
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#22]
My type writer's numbers are not close to this font, nevermind.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I need to talk my dad into getting his military typewriter out. He put alot of money into getting it in working order years ago.
Maybe the font is similar.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a non-fillable (blank) version now in .pdf format, shared through Google Documents.  Here is the link:

DA Form 3749, 1 Aug 71 (.pdf version)

Look for the "Download (549kb)" link near the top of the page and you can save a copy for yourself.

When printing, make sure Page Scaling in Adobe Reader is set to "None" so that it will print at the correct size and resolution.  It will probably default to "Fit to Printable Area," in which case you need to change it to "None".  If it tells you that the document is larger than the printable area of the page, don't worry about it, you should only lose a little of the crop marks.

Still working on a fillable form version.  I found I can create fillable .pdf forms with OpenOffice, the only problem is that some fonts do not allow themselves to be embedded in a document so I have not yet found a way to package the typewriter font with the .pdf file.  I may end up just having to use a common monospace font like Courier instead of the original typewriter font I found.  The blank .pdf version is useful though if you plan to fill it with your own actual typewriter.

Also, if you want the .png version so you can use a graphics program to create your own fill text, I put it on Google Docs as well.  The same caveats about printing at full resolution apply here as well.  Link below:

DA Form 3749, 1 Aug 71 (.png version)
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 7:01:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got Acrobat Pro if you want a fillable version.  I've got around 15K fonts to choose from too.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've got Acrobat Pro if you want a fillable version.  I've got around 15K fonts to choose from too.

The typewriter font that was a close match for kfields' original card is called Chandler42, if you have it.  Specifically I believe I used the bold version.  I like the somewhat unusual way the numbers look in that font, like the way the horizontal line in the "4" is at the same level as the base of the "1".  Of course any decent monospaced typewriter-y font would be suitable.  The files are linked if you want to play with 'em.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The typewriter font that was a close match for kfields' original card is called Chandler42, if you have it.  Specifically I believe I used the bold version.  I like the somewhat unusual way the numbers look in that font, like the way the horizontal line in the "4" is at the same level as the base of the "1".  Of course any decent monospaced typewriter-y font would be suitable.  The files are linked if you want to play with 'em.

I'll be back home from DC tomorrow and will knock it out.  It will only take about ten minutes to make it fillable.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Here it is.  I set it up so those with Acrobat Reader should be able to save it.  I also used a different font, but I believe it is like the one you are referring to.  I have some other fonts that I'm still going through.

http://www.hillierr.com/arfcom/DAForm3749Fill.pdf
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Here it is.  I set it up so those with Acrobat Reader should be able to save it.  I also used a different font, but I believe it is like the one you are referring to.  I have some other fonts that I'm still going through.

Yes! Thank you! Thank you both!
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Cool.  Thanks for doing that.  Is the font you used for the fill text embedded in the .pdf?  I ask because I want to be sure whether I am seeing the same font you used, or a default choice because I don't have the same font installed myself.  The font that is coming up when I fill in the .pdf is a proportional spaced font, while almost all period typewriters would have used monospaced fonts.  I would suggest picking a monospaced, typewriter-like font and embedding it in the .pdf for maximum period-correctness.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool.  Thanks for doing that.  Is the font you used for the fill text embedded in the .pdf?  I ask because I want to be sure whether I am seeing the same font you used, or a default choice because I don't have the same font installed myself.  The font that is coming up when I fill in the .pdf is a proportional spaced font, while almost all period typewriters would have used monospaced fonts.  I would suggest picking a monospaced, typewriter-like font and embedding it in the .pdf for maximum period-correctness.

How about this one?

DA Form 3749

David
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How about this one?

DA Form 3749

David

That is nice!  I've saved a copy to my Google Documents.  All three versions are now shared there.  Here are the links:

Thanks for your help.

ETA:  Fillable form updated.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about this one?

DA Form 3749

David

That is nice!  I've saved a copy to my Google Documents.  All three versions are now shared there.  Here are the links:

Thanks for your help.

ETA:  Oh... er... just noticed that on the fillable version there needs to be a blank in the "I hereby acknowledge receipt of the above weapon from the Arms Room of" field.  I'll delete this comment once we get an updated file.  Stay tuned.

I'm adding the field and will check the font issue.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Those are looking very nice!  What a good idea.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Updated with new field.

Updated DA Form 3749

David
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Try the new one using the same link I posted above.  I used a old US Information Service font that is monospaced and sans-serif.  If it worked, I can change it up with a serif font as well.  The one I used looks a lot like the one on my weapons card.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Updated the links in my post above and the original post in this thread with current revision by ToyCop.

dsbock, your last link isn't working for me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Updated the links in my post above and the original post in this thread with current revision by ToyCop.

Did the font turn out right?  I'll find a good serif font too.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Did the font turn out right?  I'll find a good serif font too.

Font embedded just fine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Try this one:

DA Form 3749

David
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top