User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2011 10:55:57 PM EDT
here's something you don't see everyday

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=254117556
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:12:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I was drooling on that last week.  The problem is where does one find just the lower assy

Anyone know if the lower is considered an NFA item ?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:15:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I think they are. There are some completed ones on... one of those full auto sites. I can't remember the name right now. I believe, even though they're pretty much non-functional, that they're still registered as MGs.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:00:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think they are. There are some completed ones on... one of those full auto sites. I can't remember the name right now. I believe, even though they're pretty much non-functional, that they're still registered as MGs.

That's what I thought.  That sear hole is gonna make it a MG.  Finding just the lower and stock would be a buger.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:11:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Wouldn't just the upper be "allowed" by our benevolent Gub'ment?

One with mad machining skills could always transform a NDS lower into a cutaway to match.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:26:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wouldn't just the upper be "allowed" by our benevolent Gub'ment?

One with mad machining skills could always transform a NDS lower into a cutaway to match.

Yes,,this would be legal,and not a bad idea.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:47:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:48:44 AM EDT
[#7]
That Buy It Now seems pretty cheap.  Are these not as rare as I think they are?

For about $1500, a good machinist could have a nice and unique semi-auto cutaway clone.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:13:39 AM EDT
[#8]
That's the second time I've seen a semi-waffle 30 rounder in one of those cutaways.

Anybody know the story on those? After-market perhaps?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:26:13 AM EDT
[#9]
you could probably find someones messed up 80% lower project cheap enough to cut up for a semi auto, legal clone
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.autoweapons.com/photos08/jan/2051colt.html

http://i.imgur.com/JxeCZ.jpg

Re-weld?  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Interesting that the upper is labled to be a Colt(I am not sure, I am not an expert on this) but has no forge marks or stamps to indicate Colt upper?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Interesting that the upper is labled to be a Colt(I am not sure, I am not an expert on this) but has no forge marks or stamps to indicate Colt upper?

Colt didn't start forge marking their receivers until '72.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#13]
We had these in small arms school in Aberdeen proving grounds,MD.I can remember one for the M16 and a few of the crew served weapons.Wish I would have taken pics.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.autoweapons.com/photos08/jan/2051colt.html

http://i.imgur.com/JxeCZ.jpg

I think it's a crime punishable by death to do that...
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 1:16:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 3:22:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That's the second time I've seen a semi-waffle 30 rounder in one of those cutaways.

Anybody know the story on those? After-market perhaps?

Yeah, what the hell is that??? I've seen these rifles so many times, the pictured one on autoweapons.com also.  I never noticed that the top of the mag is waffle pattern, very odd.  I do not believe there were any 30rd magazines made like that.  I am thinking the .gov might have used some type of scrapped prototype design for these.  It has the early curve to it
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 3:36:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That Buy It Now seems pretty cheap.  Are these not as rare as I think they are?

For about $1500, a good machinist could have a nice and unique semi-auto cutaway clone.

I'd say one could be mocked up for a lot less than 1500.  I know it sounds ridiculous, but someone highly skilled with a dremel tool could do most this for the price of the upper and a bottle of testors yellow model paint.  Same goes for a lower
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:38:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I've always wanted to make a cutaway clone for my wall.
But I just couldn't bring myself to cut up a perfectly good upper and lower, much less a good barrel.
I'm pretty handy with a dremel, but one oops and you're screwed.
A couple of years ago I would have picked up that upper, but now finances and focus has changed for me.
I hope whoever nabs it builds a complete rifle.
I can think one one member I'd love to see own it.
He makes superb presentation pieces.
**cough cough John cough cough**
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've always wanted to make a cutaway clone for my wall.
But I just couldn't bring myself to cut up a perfectly good upper and lower, much less a good barrel.
I'm pretty handy with a dremel, but one oops and you're screwed.
A couple of years ago I would have picked up that upper, but now finances and focus has changed for me.
I hope whoever nabs it builds a complete rifle.

+1 THIS!
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Is it just me or did the words "tragic dremel tool accident" come to mind.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I would like to make something like that, but that's a project that's going to have to wait for a while.  I've got too many pokers in the fire right now.

John Thomas

Link Posted: 10/5/2011 1:23:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to make something like that, but that's a project that's going to have to wait for a while.  I've got too many pokers in the fire right now.

John Thomas

Our "pokers" keep us perpetually busy or broke don't they?

I've never tried putting it in a fire though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I know.... It's not retro. But here's a couple photos of a cutaway M4 we used when I went through the Air Force Combat Arms school a few years ago. We also had an M9 cutaway but it appears I didn't get photos of it.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top