Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2011 11:01:14 AM EDT
Hi, All. I ran across an AR-10B upper with the BCG that I picked up at the gun show this weekend. It appears to be in pretty decent shape, but now I'm left with the question(s) of how to build it out the rest of the way and can I find the other parts for it, or what do I do with it.

Can you still buy/find one of the AR-10B marked lowers anywhere these days? Will one of the Armalite-marked stripped lowers on GB work with this upper if I can't find one of the AR-10B marked ones? What about the rest of the furniture; what can I use for it if I can't find the matching brown Armalite parts? Or does anyone know where to get them? I always did like the looks of the AR-10B models back when they were selling them new, and when I found this, I thought that it might make a good start for an AI-ish psuedo-sudanese AR-10 retro clone.  Not an exact one, perhaps, but something along those lines.

Any ideas/suggestions/sources? Or would it cost me more to finish this upper than to just buy a complete Armalite AR-10B already done? I figure this would be the place to start asking.

Link Posted: 10/17/2011 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#1]
You'll probably get better answers over here.
The AR10B isn't actually a retro rifle––it was made by the "new" Armalite––but as far as I know you should be able to use your upper on any current AR10 lower.
It is a fairly unique style, no longer produced, and a nice nod to the original Armalites.  I hope you enjoy it!
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I am not part of this company but this may help

https://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-products/80-receivers/80-308-lower-receiver.html
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, all. Just trying to figure out what my options are with it. I appreciate all the opinions.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 11:48:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Another possibility I thought of while searching GB- what's the low-down on the Hesse AR-10 receivers that are "supposed" to take Armalite uppers and use the cheaper DPMS pattern mags? Are they any good? I know Hesse doesn't have the greatest reputation in some circles but the price is low enough and the idea of cheaper mags seems appealing, especially if I can't find an AR-10B marked lower so it will be a "parts-gun/built-gun" anyway.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#6]
You could take the risk that machined aluminum is machined aluminum, at least from a stripped lower receiver assembly - put a quality LPK and get some original Armalite "waffle .308" mags and try to use 'em and build a clone - maybe see how the prototype FSB project is going and see if one could be adapted to your barrel, too.  

I suspect for a parts gun range toy the Hesse - hateful as the brand is, would work just fine.  

It's your money and your risk.  I'm not as up on .308 pattern ARs, is there no other aftermarket lower available to run SR25 magazines with an Eagle Arms / Armalite upper?  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#7]
OK; so the Hesse is out. Just trying to think of an affordable way to finish this up, if possible. I think I'll run it through GB once first and see if it sells, and if not then I'll try to figure something else out from there. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I bet John Thomas could match the color!
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Joker, do the handguards have heat shields?
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I would put no less than a new ArmaLite AR-10 lower receiver on that if you can't find an AR-10B receiver.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Joker, do the handguards have heat shields?

No, I didn't see any through the vent holes.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#12]
place a want to buy ad in the EE for the lower and other parts you're looking for
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 1:43:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow that's nice.  +1 on the fixed stock setup.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Joker, here is a complete rifle:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=256473574

Reasonable price & gorgeous lower. Love that Pegasus marking!
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I saw that one and I was really kind of surprised. I doubt that one could buy the parts to build it for that price. I've got my upper on for the next 5 days too, so I'll see if it turns there or not. If it does, I may just put some more cash with it and buy that one already complete. And if it doesn't, then I'll try to figure out what to do next with it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I saw that one and I was really kind of surprised. I doubt that one could buy the parts to build it for that price. I've got my upper on for the next 5 days too, so I'll see if it turns there or not. If it does, I may just put some more cash with it and buy that one already complete. And if it doesn't, then I'll try to figure out what to do next with it.

Do notice that the $995 in that auction is the opening price, and it has 9 days to go. It will sell for more than that.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 3:19:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do notice that the $995 in that auction is the opening price, and it has 9 days to go. It will sell for more than that.

Perhaps. With the way the economy is these days, though, sometimes the bigger ticket items aren't as quick to turn as they were not too many years ago.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
place a want to buy ad in the EE for the lower and other parts you're looking for

Done, and who knows? Maybe someone will have one sitting around that they are looking to turn?  Never can hurt to ask, I always say...
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's about the going price, but it already went around once with no bids. I've been watching it but probably won't bid (cash be tight. Not usually a problem here, but....)
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 6:56:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice project. I've wanted an AR-10B for the longest myself. Opportunity and funds have not meshed yet however. The 10B's with the slimmer profile barrel are really interesting. I've even worked out some retro mods like: case deflector removal, original AR-10 flash hider grenade launcher install on barrel, original style FSB/replica, mag release fence removal, modified furniture etc. Too bad they went with an A2 style rear sight but they did include the neat little elevation window. Maybe just get ahold of a standard lower and have it remarked if you must have the Pegasus etc.  It can be done.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Gonna grind off the Brunton bump?
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Maybe.  Trying to decide which way to go with it. Wasn't there someone out there working on making some of the narrow front sights, 3-prong flash hiders, etc. for these at one point?
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe.  Trying to decide which way to go with it. Wasn't there someone out there working on making some of the narrow front sights, 3-prong flash hiders, etc. for these at one point?

Now your thinking. Retro'ing that baby out is totally doable. NDS looks to have an FSB in the works and you could have a flash hider custom made no problem. Lots of talented folks on this forum offer services of the like. You came to the right place for sure my man.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 6:05:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Couple of years ago at Camp Perry, Armalite had an AR10B lower in the blemished box for sale.  I looked long and hard but decided against it.  You may want to call Armalite and see if they still have any of the lowers.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 11:29:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Would one of THESE work for $175?

I've gotten a couple of AR15 blems from them before and they were decent.
They are NOT like NDS blems though!
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 1:22:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Couple of years ago at Camp Perry, Armalite had an AR10B lower in the blemished box for sale.  I looked long and hard but decided against it.  You may want to call Armalite and see if they still have any of the lowers.

OK; I ruled that one out. One of the fringe benefits of being an FFL; I registered with Armalite and contacted them directly about the AR-10B lower. Long since gone, and no others to be had, same as the original brown furniture.  Thanks for the lead, though. Never know until you ask.

So at this point, I've got 30 views but no responses on my WTB ad in the EE, and I'm looking at having to put it back together on a non-original lower (even if it is Armalite, it won't be the correct marked one as an AR-10B) so I'm back to square one.  Plus, that one on GB is still sitting there parked.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 2:01:59 PM EDT
[#27]
The AR10B brown stock is still available through Armalite: http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=BR0030
I was in the same boat as you about 4 years ago, got a deal on an AR10B complete upper, and built it on an older but non "B' lower after ordering the brown stock from Armalite. They still had the brown grips then, but the cav arms dark earth a2 grip is a close match. BTW, I also cut off the pinned/welded ban era muzzle brake, and put on an AR10 a2 flash suppressor.  
I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, you were correct. It did indeed sell, and for more than the opening bid- but not MUCH more.  Final price was $1,000.01 no reserve.  Still not as much as I would have liked to have seen it go for, though- especially if I'm looking at putting a lot more time and money into this one to finish it up, and it still wouldn't have the correct Pegasus lower, etc. that this one had. I like the weapon, but I don't want to put a lot more into it than what it would be able to turn for if I sell it. I wonder what a regular AR-10 receiver version with the "B" upper would bring?
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, time for an update and some great news- thanks to the guy who I got the upper from, I was able to work out a deal to get the original matching lower to go with it, thereby reuniting the rifle with the correct Pegasus-marked bottom end. So here's what I now have:

I know it's still not a "retro" rifle per se, but at least I do have a good base for a pseudo-sudanese perhaps?
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 5:41:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Unless you start making custom parts, I think that's about as close are your going to get with a modern AR-10 so, I'd say yes.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well, time for an update and some great news- thanks to the guy who I got the upper from, I was able to work out a deal to get the original matching lower to go with it, thereby reuniting the rifle with the correct Pegasus-marked bottom end. So here's what I now have:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i78/JTravis1964/AR-10B/001-1.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i78/JTravis1964/AR-10B/002-1.jpg

I know it's still not a "retro" rifle per se, but at least I do have a good base for a pseudo-sudanese perhaps?

Very nice,  Had never seen such good shots of the recent-retro AR-10B.  Wish I had bought one when they were new.  Excellent return on your effort!  

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Perhaps someone here knows- when were the production dates, totals and serial number ranges on these?  I think it was a while back, if I recall correctly. At what point does "recent-retro" become actually retro in its own right?
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#33]
They began producing the trigger CH AR-10B in the mid to late 90's, I think.  I recall looking on the Armalite website and seeing the 10B for sale as recently as 5 or 6 years ago.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:45:06 AM EDT
[#34]
I personally wouldn't alter it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 6:58:45 AM EDT
[#35]
I'd leave it alone.  They ain't making no more.  I've assembled an AR-10B and and AR-10A2 from parts I've picked up on the EE, GB, etc.  Since sold the AR-10B, but I still have the A2.  Just like a big AR-15...
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top