Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/26/2012 2:26:51 PM EDT
Hello all im a left-handed shooter and was wondering if there is a brass deflector that fits on the sp1. I really want one of these rifles but it is worthless im getting hit all the time. thank you for your responses
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Never seen one.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a GI one,and also one used for 9mm. I used to have a web site that sold the GI one but lost it in a puter crash. They were something like $9.95. It's plastic and clips into the carry handle area.No tools,nuts or bolts.I'll poke around and see if I can find one  and will post the link. Just be aware,,you don't want the 9mm one.
PS, there is also a way to modify the ejector spring (remove a coil or 2 ) that will make brass eject at the 2 - 3 o"clock position.
Not the GI one I mention,,but an option>http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/AR-15_-_M16_Brass_Deflector.html
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#3]
All of the above or just make one.  I spent 5 minutes one night with a commercial rubber battery cover post,  scissors and super glue.  Works great and all the brass lands 1-2 feet at 2pm.

Pics not the best but basically cut out both ends for legs to hold it in using a rectangle commercial bettery post shipping cover and cut,  folded back bottom right and glues it down with piece I cut out of end.  No failures or has it come apart in 1.5K rds to date.  Switch it to all my retros although FA on 603's usually blocks the brass for me.  Personally never got hit with much hot brass until I forget about getting hit with hot brass.  I've shot 1K with nothing and shot 1 mag and got hit twice.  In the bush it possibly could become dislodged but hasn't to date but usually don't take my retro's in the rugged,  thick stuff.  Bolt in won't become dislodged.  Not a fan of cutting extractor springs but it will work.  If you search there was a site that had them for $5.95 and you must specify A-1 but shipping was kinda high.  It wasn't link posted above.  Just checked for you.  It was www.Johnmasen.com.  Thinking about painting a rack number on mine with LH and selling them for $5 shipped.  We just throw the covers away usually.  LoL!
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Get an sp1 and then switch all the parts to a sp2 upper with a brass deflector and a1 sights and keep the original upper incase you ever sell it .
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There is a GI one,and also one used for 9mm. I used to have a web site that sold the GI one but lost it in a puter crash. They were something like $9.95. It's plastic and clips into the carry handle area.No tools,nuts or bolts.I'll poke around and see if I can find one  and will post the link. Just be aware,,you don't want the 9mm one.
PS, there is also a way to modify the ejector spring (remove a coil or 2 ) that will make brass eject at the 2 - 3 o"clock position.
Not the GI one I mention,,but an option>http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/AR-15_-_M16_Brass_Deflector.html

That's the one I use to keep brass from pummeling the guy next to me on the firing line - OK, to keep my lazy ass from having to chase brass - and it works great.

If you don't like the exact place it dumps the brass, you can tweak the pattern by bending a little here and there.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Instead if a brass deflector,would an attached brass catcher bag work on an SP 1?
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Brownells has these..dont know if the a2 has different gap in the carry handle. Fulton Armory had the old school ones at one point.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=18554/Product/BRASS-DEFLECTOR

Link Posted: 7/26/2012 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#8]
No im not really in to the brass catcher bag but thank you though.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to have an SP-1 that flung the cases either into my right earlobe or right cheek every time. A friend and I swapped parts out of his old 5*** SP-1(1965-vintage, I think)but nothing stopped the rearward ejection. I ended up buying one of the old GI clip-on deflectors, which solved the issue... sort of. Instead of hot brass hitting my head the spent(and very hot)brass would drop into the crook of my arm. The plastic deflectors used to be everywhere for $10 or so. I don't think I have one anymore but I'll look around.

Didn't try the coil-clipping method, damn it. My friend's old, old SP-1 ejected brass straight out of the ejection port into a pile about 3-4' to his right. Mine would drop them the same distance right over a right-handed shooter's shoulder. His rifle was a trip, as it has been shot so much that the first 4" or so of rifling was GONE. It would shoot accurately for the first mag or two, but when the barrel got hot the rounds actually would start to key-hole badly. The first AR-15 I've seen in which the rounds "tumbled going through the air" like I've heard so many ignorant stories about!!
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
deflector

I have one of these units.  They are USGI.  I used it for my left handed daughter to shoot and it worked great.

Link Posted: 7/28/2012 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I do believe this is what you're looking for - Brass Deflector
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
deflector

This ^^^^^^^ is the one I was originally talking about. Thanks Echo!

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top