Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/4/2012 3:35:58 AM EDT
I saw this resin model of a Japanese Model 97 on the IMA website and just HAD to share. It is so ugly it's beautiful. Tell me this wouldn't be a cool wall hanger for a man-cave.
I forgot how freaky looking these things are. Looks like it should be in a bad Sci-fi movie. Sometimes retro is not pretty.

Link Posted: 8/4/2012 3:49:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I forgot how ugly those things were!  It's so ugly, it's kinda cool!
Link Posted: 8/4/2012 4:12:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/4/2012 8:10:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I think it's a common occurrence that most Japanese ww2 guns look like hell. You have to remeber that at this time "made in Japan" was equivalent to todays "made in china." the engineering and manufacturing just could not compare to America and Europe. Today things are far different obviously as everybody likes sony's and yamaha's.
Link Posted: 8/4/2012 8:25:44 AM EDT
[#4]

And the Type 99:

The NIPs made some funky looking weapons.

~Will

Link Posted: 8/4/2012 9:29:22 AM EDT
[#5]
The NIPs made some funky looking weapons.

Thanks for sharing OP.  Jap MG's and weapons are about the only one's I've never really had much exposure to and always like to see and learn new things.  Looks like a lot to go wrong with that one and it doesn't appear to have much capacity.  MC buddy had a bring back Arisaka I'm guessing model 38 hanging on the wall that his dad supposedly greased it's previous owner while Island hopping in WWII.  Story was Jap was tied in a tree and killed a GI before he nailed him with a garand.  Right out the mmovies.  Don't think they ever fired it but condition was pretty good from what I remember less the dust.  Supposedly they have decent  accuracy.  Doubt seriously I'll ever find out.
Link Posted: 8/4/2012 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#6]
IIRC the Type 97 was well-respected by US servicemen and reliable. IIRC it was based on the Breda LMG which in turn was a modified ZB26. Remember we also used a limited capacity LMG - the BAR. Ugly or not, it did the job, and I could be wrong, but isn't that an optic? BTW - I would love a Bren carrier with full armament - it's a fantasy vehicle of mine - look out MZBs!!! Oh, and... BONZAI!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2012 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/4/2012 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#8]
That bitch is damn sexy!
Link Posted: 8/4/2012 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
IIRC the Type 97 was well-respected by US servicemen and reliable. IIRC it was based on the Breda LMG which in turn was a modified ZB26. Remember we also used a limited capacity LMG - the BAR. Ugly or not, it did the job, and I could be wrong, but isn't that an optic? BTW - I would love a Bren carrier with full armament - it's a fantasy vehicle of mine - look out MZBs!!! Oh, and... BONZAI!!!!!

How awesome would a Bren carrier be?     I have one of the demilled Bren MkII's that IMA imported a few years ago, it's on loan to a friend's gunsmithing shop right now as a display.  I'm hoping to rebuild it into a legal semiauto one day.....
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top