Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2012 6:31:09 AM EDT
Hi Folks
I recently acquired a colt 633 demilled and was wondering how to find out if it is a pre 86 i appreciate any help thank you
mike
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 6:43:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a lawyer and do a NFA branch inquiry?
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Shouldn't need a lawyer since it's already demilled.
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#3]
What do you mean by demilled, and what is your intent?  If it wasn't in the registry prior to May 19, 1986 (as either a functioning machine gun or a deactivated war trophy - maybe in another category as well, but those are the only two I can think of offhand) it can't be returned to operational full auto status.
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok it has been cut thru the magwell and where the trigger would go with a band saw and whatr i am wondering is if there is a serial range of guns made before that date
mike
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What do you mean by demilled, and what is your intent?  If it wasn't in the registry prior to May 19, 1986 (as either a functioning machine gun or a deactivated war trophy - maybe in another category as well, but those are the only two I can think of offhand) it can't be returned to operational full auto status.

He can build the upper on a SBR registered lower though. I understand Colt won't release registry records on Class III weapons. I get that from my buddy who owns a registered 601.
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 4:45:41 PM EDT
[#6]
fredom of information act request may be an option.
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#7]
just try to do the paper work and see what the BATF says?
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 5:44:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I would do that but i don't want to get in trouble
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would do that but i don't want to get in trouble

You have a properly de-milled receiver. It is perfectly legal to possess a demilled FA receiver. Are you just trying to learn whatever history you can on the firearm? Like if a PD owned it at some point, was it ever on the registry, etc?
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 3:09:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hi Folks
I recently acquired a colt 633 demilled and was wondering how to find out if it is a pre 86 i appreciate any help thank you
mike

Welcome to the Forum, Mike!  

Pictures are always appreciated, especially if it is a complete unaltered [except the demil] 633. Few have survived, in any condition...

You say it is cut through the magwell and the trigger area. Only two cuts??? That in itself is unusual...
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#11]
You should make sure the lower is cut in 3 pcs. magwell and at across one of the FCG pins.
Its a parts kit now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:33:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Here are the photos i really appreciate the help in this matter i would really like to be able to remill it http://http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh171/gldsmt/100_6541.jpghttp://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh171/gldsmt/100_6540.jpg
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:49:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I was under the impression that the ATF didn't like bandsaw cuts.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 7:12:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

yeah, I thought they specified that they be torch cuts
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
fredom of information act request may be an option.

I have seen a FOIA request that was done on a transferable 601.  Not a lot of information, all the good parts were redacted out.  However, it is a good way to date when your firearm was first transferred and perhaps how many times.  All identifying information about the transferor and transferee was redacted out on the one I saw except for the title of the person accepting the initial transfer.  So, it is an option, but it may not yield much information.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 8:10:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
yeah, I thought they specified that they be torch cuts

Both 3 cuts & by torch were my information as well...

Only 2 band saw cuts...I have a TIG that would snap that up...  

However...If you were looking to make a clone, that sawed up lower would be an excellent template...Assuming you have all the other parts; like the magwell insert, pins, mag, etc...

Edit: Looking close, I see that it is indeed 3 cuts - you are missing pieces of the center of the receiver above the trigger...

BTW: I have seen receivers in MG parts kits that were cut by plasma torch...Much cleaner (and thinner) cuts, while still complying with the BATF "torch cut" ruling...  

OK, if it were me, I would get a comparable NoDak lower and modify it to take the magwell insert, and replace the barrel with a 16" to make it semi-auto compatible...Or use the original barrel and register it as an SBR...(If that is legal in your state)...

Link Posted: 8/21/2012 2:36:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Regardless, the sear pin hole means that it's a machinegun. Once a machinegun, always a machinegun according to the BATF. You need a SA lower. I suggest a NDS 9mm lower. The new ones are already machined to take the 9mm magblock. Transfer it as 'other' and you can build it as a pistol until you get a tax stamp.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There's a big section missing, that's what they want to see.  1/4" wide torch cuts (missing material) or a critical section removed.

Considering that's been destroyed and then transferred, I don't see how they would allow it to be reactivated as a transferable.  Maybe if the original entity that it was registered to had the rebuild done, then a proper NFA transfer done.  If the original owner had any interest in transferring it, they would have done so instead of demilling it.

Quoted:
Regardless, the sear pin hole means that it's a machinegun. Once a machinegun, always a machinegun according to the BATF. You need a SA lower.

It's demilled, it's no longer a firearm at all, NFA or not.  It could be rewelded/rebuilt into a semi lower by welding over the sear pin holes before being rebuilt... but... you'd have to buy a lower (or 80% lower) as a donor for the missing section, plus all the work of welding, finishing, etc, and you'd still just have a semi lower.  So might as well just use the lower you buy for a donor instead.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Weld up the sear hole and see what it gets you. Demilled or not, that's how the BATF looks at it. It is not a logic thing.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 3:19:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Weld up the sear hole and see what it gets you. Demilled or not, that's how the BATF looks at it. It is not a logic thing.

The regulation/opinion means you can't convert a machine gun to a semi firearm.  You can however demill a machine gun to a non-firearm.  And then you can use non-firearm parts to construct a semi receiver, just as you could make a semi receiver from an 80%, or 0% forging, or print one with a 3d printer.

It's not a machine gun anymore. It's not a firearm at all anymore.  You're misinterpreting their regulation and extending it beyond where it is applicable.  It could not be a machine gun anymore, or else it couldn't have been sold as a parts kit.  If you reweld those parts along with other parts into a new receiver, it's a new receiver, which will be either semi or full auto depending on whether the sear pin holes are left intact or welded over.

Many rewelds to semi have been done this way, I'm sure there are letters out there.  Rewelds are just not common anymore due to the method of destruction making them impractical - which was the whole point of the change in demill requirements.
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 6:12:53 AM EDT
[#21]
ok so let me throw this in the mix i am an FFL and i just applied to get my class 3 back when i do can i remill this as a non transferable sbr full auto
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#22]
It wouldn't make any sense to remill this once you get your SOT/C3 etc. You will be able to buy any <$100 AR lower and convert it. Once you give up your license you'll have to sell to another deal or cut it up again anyway. Why spend the hundreds of dollars to have this one rebuilt. It is cut with pieces missing, and is just a paperweight now. Even the rollmark would be lost when welded.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top