Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/31/2013 1:30:00 PM EDT
CHARGING HANDLE ASSEMBLY

Charles F. Packard

http://www.google.com/patents/US3225653?printsec=drawing&hl=pt-BR#v=onepage&q&f=false

"RECORDS OF THE SPRINGFIELD ARMORY : Records of the Research and Engineering Division
M16 Bolt Closure Device #1 Exploded and Isometric Views]"

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The first attempt at a forward assist?  Not quite as robust as the eventual solution.  

Out of battery cook off.  That had to be one hot chamber to cook off a round before the bolt had a chance to close.  Interesting.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 2:09:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The first attempt at a forward assist?  Not quite as robust as the eventual solution.  

Out of battery cook off.  That had to be one hot chamber to cook off a round before the bolt had a chance to close.  Interesting.

"AR15 Damaged Receiver Exploded View"

http://ww2.rediscov.com/springar/VFPCGI.exe?IDCFile=/springar/details.IDC,SPECIFIC=14261,DATABASE=BIBLIO,

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Heh heh... double entendre... heh heh...

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heh heh... double entendre... heh heh...

~Augee

I think it's a typo....it should have read "AR15 Exploded Receiver, Damaged View"
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 7:04:30 AM EDT
[#5]
This Springfield Armory design is discussed in The Black Rifle.

Gene Stoner was opposed to any bolt closure device being added to the weapon, but he's quoted (p. 128) as saying that if he had been given choice among the competing designs, he'd have picked this one instead of the Colt because it "would be the least harmful."

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 7:11:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Wonder if they'd sell that bolt carrier???
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wonder if they'd sell that bolt carrier???

Post in Ill take it then IM Springfield armory

I dont see how this is an alternative to a FA.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#8]
The modified charging handle has a leaf spring on the top with a hole in it.

A block in the upper receiver pushed the spring down to catch a lug on top of the modified carrier key.

If the BCG failed to close all the way, the operator pushed on the back of the CH with the heel of his hand.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Pretty cool.

At the time that photo was taken in the fall of 1963 my dad was in basic training with the M1 Garand. What a leap in technology the new few years!
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#10]
FWIW:  Packard was Springfield Armory's representative on the M16 Technical Coordinating Committee.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Three years ago, while I was looking for my Model 01, I came across one that included one of the prototype forward assists.  Seller said it came out of the Colt tool room.  
Interesting thing was it only had the latch release on the left side.  Note there's no catch on the right side, below...

Interesting view inside the upper...

The seller had just gotten it and wasn't even sure what to ask for it when we started talking.
The SN was mid-13k range, so pretty late in the 01 production, but the barrel was still 1-14 (sideways M marked).  Very nice green furniture with type B stock, BCG was original except the machined FP retaining pin was gone.
Included 2 waffles and a rubberized pouch.

It was definitely a temptation--until the seller set the price.  He wanted $44,995 but offered me first shot at it for $42,995.  
I just couldn't justify that cost.

...And it looks like no one else has been able to justify it yet, either.  Still for sale and the price is now down to just $40k!
Hey, for someone with deep pockets, it would be a unique collectible!
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 2:35:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Three years ago, while I was looking for my Model 01, I came across one that included one of the prototype forward assists.  Seller said it came out of the Colt tool room.  
Interesting thing was it only had the latch release on the left side.  Note there's no catch on the right side, below...

http://westernfirearms.com/0/wfc/armalite/images/02/108.jpg

Interesting view inside the upper...

http://westernfirearms.com/0/wfc/armalite/images/02/110.jpg

The seller had just gotten it and wasn't even sure what to ask for it when we started talking.
The SN was mid-13k range, so pretty late in the 01 production, but the barrel was still 1-14 (sideways M marked).  Very nice green furniture with type B stock, BCG was original except the machined FP retaining pin was gone.
Included 2 waffles and a rubberized pouch.

It was definitely a temptation--until the seller set the price.  He wanted $44,995 but offered me first shot at it for $42,995.  
I just couldn't justify that cost.

...And it looks like no one else has been able to justify it yet, either.  Still for sale and the price is now down to just $40k!
Hey, for someone with deep pockets, it would be a unique collectible!

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Extrapolating further - I wonder how this design would have affected later "flat top" designs if adopted.  "Meat" had to be added to the original flat top design as is to accomodate the railed receiver.    

~Augee
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top