Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/8/2013 9:16:12 PM EDT
Which color best matches Nodak Spud lowers? This is for an early square forged 603 upper that will be used for an XM177E1 build.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:25:20 PM EDT
[#1]
The "Gray Flat" more than likely for that Vietnam era look.

The "Grayish-Black Flat" is excellent for later M-16A1's, AR-15's, M4's up until Colt changed to the basic black back in 1997 -1999 or so... (My favorite color - Think Colt AR's from the 1980's)

I've used the "Flat Black" but I think it's trickier to use. If you spray it on like the other two colors previously mentioned the end result is that it's a bit on the semi-glossy side like an HK or Uzi color. If I work with "Black Flat" I try to do a light fan coat, let it cure, then do another light fan coat, let that cure, then do another light fan coat, then cure if I want it to look flat like current AR's / M4's.

If you spray the "Gray Flat" or "Grayish-Black Flat" too thick it still looks flat, although the texture is rough like sandpaper.

I've redone all but two of my AR's with this product, good stuff that sprays on thin.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:25:20 PM EDT
[#2]
The "Gray Flat" more than likely for that Vietnam era look.

The "Grayish-Black Flat" is excellent for later M-16A1's, AR-15's, M4's up until Colt changed to the basic black back in 1997 -1999 or so...

I've used the "Flat Black" but I think it's trickier to use. If you spray it on like the other two colors previously mentioned the end result is that it's a bit on the semi-glossy side like an HK or Uzi color. If I work with "Black Flat" I try to do a light fan coat, let it cure, then do another light fan coat, let that cure, then do another light fan coat, then cure if I want it to look flat like current AR's / M4's.

If you spray the "Gray Flat" or "Grayish-Black Flat" too thick it still looks flat, although the texture is rough like sandpaper.

I've redone all but two of my AR's with this product, good stuff that sprays on thin.

SORRY, double post please delete one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:44:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a LMT lower done in grayish black flat and it matches my Nodak upper almost perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#4]
This is a picture of the rifle that I keep in my Jeep.  

The upper is from Nodak and has their finish on it, (U.S. Anodizing).  The lower is finished in Norrell's grayish black flat.  The slipring was anodized by John Thomas and the pivot pin was parkerized by John Thomas.

The shadows in my crappy pic make the lower appear slightly lighter than the upper but if you look towards the top where the sunlight is hitting the upper and the slipring you can see that the match is quite good.  

It is not quite a perfect match but at arms length it is very close.

I'm sure this goes without saying but it is worth noting that the Norrell's finish is much less durable than anodizing.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:15:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree also with aardvark_ratnick. The grayish-black flat is close too. My guess is that some of the Vietnam era guns were this shade as well. If you're going to spray it yourself, maybe bite the bullet and just get a bottle of each color. It sprays so thin you could spray both, let cure and match it up next to your Nodak part.  On your last "hot" cured coat out of the oven, consider spraying it with a good quality gun oil aeosol. I spray on RemOil after the last cured coat out of the oven while it's still oven hot. This will darken it up a shade it seems and should help with letting the lubricant in better overall.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:15:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree also with aardvark_ratnick. The grayish-black flat is close too. My guess is that some of the Vietnam era guns were this shade as well. If you're going to spray it yourself, maybe bite the bullet and just get a bottle of each color. It sprays so thin you could spray both, let cure and match it up next to your Nodak part.  On your last "hot" cured coat out of the oven, consider spraying it with a good quality gun oil aeosol. I spray on RemOil after the last cured coat out of the oven while it's still oven hot. This will darken it up a shade it seems and should help with letting the lubricant in better overall.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Heres some Greyish Black flat]
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top