Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/6/2015 3:36:32 PM EDT
Needed a cam pin, firing pin and retainer to finish a BCG so ordered off EPay.

The cheapest kit had a titanium FP and a SS cam so I thought I would put the SS cam on the chrome BCG in my 652.

Putting both BCG's back together I noticed the chrome BCG had a spring loaded FP.

The spring is inside the bolt, forward of the cam hole.

The spring wouldn't shake out but I didn't bother taking the bolt apart. (Lazy ass)

WTF yall? Anyone ever hear-ed of such?

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#1]
by comparison, does the bolt and firing pin seem to be in specification to you?
Is the shoulder of those two parts correct in their ability to limit over-travel forward of the pin?
Would you consider removing the spring with a hook? Then you might figure out what it was correcting.
Imagine if without the spring, the pin actually pierced a hole in the primer by overlength or over travel.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#2]
My Olympic Arms 9mm had a spring on the firing pin.  It could be that someone put it in there to use soft primers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Only one I've heard of are those prototypes in TBR V1. pg. 133.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Does it look like this?

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Ya Know!! I read some where that this was a fix for the slam fire problem with the large head firing pin. Could this be it?
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Show us the spring man!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Small head FP.

With spring.

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My Olympic Arms 9mm had a spring on the firing pin.  It could be that someone put it in there to use soft primers.
View Quote

+1

I was hoping Cal30m1 you had a rare early proto FP
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

+1

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Naw. I never have anything rare. Just weird.

ETA I've shot the 652 with this bolt several times and not had a FTF. Honestly I didn't remember it even having the small head FP in it.

Being a SA only weapon it probably won't hurt to run the small head without the spring. I think that FP only had issues when in Rock and Roll mode.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Actually....one of the problems with the original pin was when the bolt was released from the bolt stop. With some ammunition the rifle would slam fire. In testing, the shooters were advised to be sure the rifle was pointed downrange when loading a magazine into it.

Jim Gilmore

Jim Thorpe, PA.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Actually....one of the problems with the original pin was when the bolt was released from the bolt stop. With some ammunition the rifle would slam fire. In testing, the shooters were advised to be sure the rifle was pointed downrange when loading a magazine into it.

Jim Gilmore

Jim Thorpe, PA.
View Quote

I may just need to run a new FP on it or leave the spring in it since it runs with it in there.

I was just wondering if anyone else had seen this before.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Jim Gilmore

Jim Thorpe, PA.
View Quote

this is the same thing i have heard from many trusted 'smiths in the past. i think it was mostly related to reloaders who used soft primers.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top