Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2016 1:18:11 PM EDT
Know there is a forum in here on optics but seems to be for modern optics.
Can we get some info and pix of retro optics?
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll start with the obvious... Colt 3x20s

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Good idea for a thread. Been done, but subject is worth revisiting.

I shopped around and found one of these repro Leatherwood mounts. Actually I bought more than one, they were pretty cheap. Now I am having a hard time deciding what to mount on a carry handle with one. I am not looking for a real Leatherwood or even a repro. Repro info welcome, but probably out of my price range. Would really like to know what spec of scope most folks are using with this setup.

John Masen used to make them, but they are no longer available there AFAIK
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 12:10:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I shopped around and found one of these repro Leatherwood mounts. Actually I bought more than one, they were pretty cheap. Now I am having a hard time deciding what to mount on a carry handle with one. I am not looking for a real Leatherwood or even a repro. Repro info welcome, but probably out of my price range. Would really like to know what spec of scope most folks are using with this setup.

http://www.galatiinternational.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/BW1503.jpg

View Quote

I've got one of those mounts. I put an original Colt Delta rubber-armored 3x9 scope on it. I use it on my HB 20" upper.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 12:50:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've got one of those mounts. I put an original Colt Delta rubber-armored 3x9 scope on it. I use it on my HB 20" upper.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the stuff. Forgot about those 3 X 9s. Quite a few repro rubber 3 X 9s. Some are too cheap to consider. What does a Colt Delta go for?
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 1:01:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's a vintage 1970 Redfield 3x9 wideview with period Weaver rings.  The mount is not quite what I wanted to use, but its the best I could do.

</a>" />
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 1:08:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's the stuff. Forgot about those 3 X 9s. Quite a few repro rubber 3 X 9s. Some are too cheap to consider. What does a Colt Delta go for?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know how much they are these days. I've seen a lot of the cheap repros too. Mine has the built in mount, the repros use rings. I bought mine a good 20 years ago so I don't remember how much it cost. I don't think I paid a bunch for it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 2:03:42 AM EDT
[#7]
For an early 601, you want a Delft 3x...but they are a bit hard to find.

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 3:03:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok, I'm missing plenty of steps along the way, but here's a smattering of what I've got on my rifles or sitting around.

More and Larger photos can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nduguid/albums/72157665971621972

Colt 3x20:

Scope, with cross hairs.  3x Magnification
Vietnam era.  There are a fair few variants of this scope, and they're pretty well documented and known around these parts.

Oxford Electronic Sight:

White Dot, non-occluded eye, electric, no magnification sight. (2 AA batteries)  1" tube, with rail mount rings.
Vietnam era.  Photo evidence of use on at least one XM-177 carbine, buy (I think?) Sergeant Ben Thompson. (?)

Trilux SUIT:

Tritium illuminated Inverted Post optical scope.  Unsure of the magnification offhand.  The scope locks into various mounts.  Mine is in a carry handle mount.
IDF Used scope.  Also used on FALs.

Aimpoint 1000:

Non-Occluded Eye, Red Dot Sight.  No magnification.  (Most of them are black)  Integrated Rail mounts.  DL1/3N Battery
Mine also has the Polarizing filter at the front end, which lets you turn this into an occluded eye sight.
Used by special forces in the late 80's early 90's.

Aimpoint 3000:

Non-Occluded Eye, Red Dot Sight.  No magnification.  1" Tube.  (Mine has Weaver Rings on an Arms #2)  DL1/3N Battery
There are a few variations on this sight.  Shorter/Longer tubes, illumination dial as pictured, or like the 1000's above.
Used by Special Forces in the early to mid 90's.

LC-7-40-M16:

Passive Light/Tritium Illuminated Reflex Sight.  Carry Handle Mount.
There are two reticles in here, one is a T shape, which is seen in the second to last photo.  This is illuminated by general ambient light through a hole in the top.  The second is a small ring, which is illuminated from light from the front of the scope (and I believe Tritium, if/when it's charged).
Technically, I don't think (or don't know) that this was actually used by any military units.  Nor do I know it's exact vintage.  Seems like Mid-Late 90's.  But they're used by a good number of folks around here due to their simplicity and size.  I've got one on my 231. People have modified these with small florescent fiber optics glued to the pinhole on the front to increase visibility of the ring. You can find that thread here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/570826_Battery_free__budget_reflex_sight.html&page=1

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Didn't think about posting this pic until seeing Tumerboy's collection of sights. This is a SUIT w/carry handle mount on my faux Israeli Mekutz'rar. I've also got one of the Israeli 3X carry handle scopes somewhere in the safe.

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Yankee-V where did you find that style of John Mansen mount?
I could only find this one at sarco.
http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/ar15-m16-leatherwood-scope-mount.aspx
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 1:23:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Most of the Vietnam pics I have saved show a Colt 3x20 the second most prevalent is a starlight scope. The most prevalent suppressor in the Vietnam pics is a HEL.

Weaver and Redfield were two popular options with hunters at the time 1960's through 1970's.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Magazine is inserted upside down it appears.

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 3/21/2016 12:10:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Realist ART
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 10:31:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I feel this might be something worth making a nice reference thread about and getting said thread pinned / set to no Archived and then linked in a pinned thread.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 12:38:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Question for you  guys who have put the Colt or Delta 3x scopes on your retro rifles and used them.  How do you like them and how do they stack up to a modern 3/4x optic like some of those prism scopes that are available?

I know technology has come a long way.  Do the old 3x scopes hold zero well?  What is your overall impression?
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#17]
There is also an older type of the leatherwood, it has a simple weaver type rail screwed into it.

There's a whole other topic on rubber covered scopes, but that maybe be more A2 than here.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Does anyone know where I can pick up an Aimpoint 3000 or 5000? I've looked all over there is a 3000 on ebay right now but I was hoping to find a black one. Also I'd prefer the 5000 if at all possible.

p.s. those Passive Light/Tritium Illuminated Reflex Sight. Carry Handle Mount are awesome! I read that thread a while back. I don't know how easy they are to obtain but I'd love to get one at some point.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a colt 3x20 that someone gave to me and it was literally brand new in the box. It was still in the plastic. I felt kind of bad opening it up. I have the scope caps, manual, and all the other goods.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 4:39:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Does anyone know where I can pick up an Aimpoint 3000 or 5000? I've looked all over there is a 3000 on ebay right now but I was hoping to find a black one. Also I'd prefer the 5000 if at all possible.

p.s. those Passive Light/Tritium Illuminated Reflex Sight. Carry Handle Mount are awesome! I read that thread a while back. I don't know how easy they are to obtain but I'd love to get one at some point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ebay is where I've found the old Aimpoints I have.  I just got another 1000 (which still had working batteries in it) for $26 off Ebay a couple weeks back.  But 3000's have been popping up much less frequently lately.  Just have to be persistent, and check frequently.  I expect they pop up in the EE now and then too, but I haven't looked for them there recently.

Quoted:
I have a colt 3x20 that someone gave to me and it was literally brand new in the box. It was still in the plastic. I felt kind of bad opening it up. I have the scope caps, manual, and all the other goods.

Lucky Duck!
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I found an Aimpoint 5000 a couple weeks ago in a gunshop and got a decent deal on it. It's not what the tacticool guys are looking for these days, so keep your eye open at gun shows, pawn shops, LGS, etc. Eventually you will find one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Just grabbed one off of gunbroker came across it randomly thanks guys!
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I have one of the Israeli EL-Op EYA1 3x21 scopes.. similar to the colt carry handle scopes, very nice optically but i haven't sighted it in yet. i was going to wait for a 20" upper to use it on... but i haven't built one yet.

I just posted in the "Rack Numbers" thread..

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/692794_Rack_Numbers.html
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 11:49:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Ok, I'm missing plenty of steps along the way, but here's a smattering of what I've got on my rifles or sitting around.

More and Larger photos can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nduguid/albums/72157665971621972
LC-7-40-M16:

Passive Light/Tritium Illuminated Reflex Sight.  Carry Handle Mount.

There are two reticles in here, one is a T shape, which is seen in the second to last photo.  This is illuminated by general ambient light through a hole in the top.  The second is a small ring, which is illuminated from light from the front of the scope (and I believe Tritium, if/when it's charged).

Technically, I don't think (or don't know) that this was actually used by any military units.  Nor do I know it's exact vintage.  Seems like Mid-Late 90's.  But they're used by a good number of folks around here due to their simplicity and size.  I've got one on my 231. People have modified these with small florescent fiber optics glued to the pinhole on the front to increase visibility of the ring. You can find that thread here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/570826_Battery_free__budget_reflex_sight.html&page=1

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1489/25803507512_717ac1d6d4_c.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1454/25295567003_42dd2ef592_c.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1444/25623702460_6d9e14a938_c.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1599/25295570793_be5feef053_c.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1445/25623706310_a6904d57bd_c.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1551/25623710090_7083daebf4_c.jpg
View Quote

Ugh.  I tracked these down and bought one for giggles.  I'll put it on an A2.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Where'd you find it? I haven't seen any pop up recently.  I bought mine back when there was a bit of a rash of them around.

And why "Ugh." ?
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Where'd you find it? I haven't seen any pop up recently.  I bought mine back when there was a bit of a rash of them around.

And why "Ugh." ?
View Quote

"Ugh" because I don't need it but want it anyway.

http://www.ds-solutions.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=22_29&products_id=75
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the link! I just bought one. I missed out on one on the EE a year or two ago. I think it sold for ~$45. I should have bought it then. It's costing me $50 for one from DS.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#28]
One of those Ring sights sure looks interesting!  Anyone have photos of one mounted?

Anyway, my real ? didn't seem to warrant a new thread and my last one already got archived.

GUU clone - ML3/QRP on a gooseneck or ARMS #2? Just looking for opinions, which would you choose?
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And why "Ugh." ?

There's a rather extensive thread on those Ring Sights

Quoted:
One of those Ring sights sure looks interesting!  Anyone have photos of one mounted?

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:57:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Israeli 3X21 Sight on my Retro Colt SP-1 Clone.

"Been there, done that" condition with crystal-clear optics. Needed a little TLC and it was tough to find the right person to give it. But it got done and it's a very solid, bright scope built like a tank.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#31]
I keep wanting to buy one but I'm afraid of getting a fake off ebay. seems to be WAY too many on there (for such a rare item)

all price 3-400

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I keep wanting to buy one but I'm afraid of getting a fake off ebay. seems to be WAY too many on there (for such a rare item)

all price 3-400

View Quote

fake what?  colt 3x20 and 4x20?  aimpoints?  israeli?
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

all price 3-400

search "colt scope" and see what all comes up. there are a lot of options.. most all have colt on them somewhere

I feel safer paying 3x more for an acog..
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
search "colt scope" and see what all comes up. there are a lot of options.. most all have colt on them somewhere

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

all price 3-400

I've not spotted a fake yet. Most look like legitimate colt 4x20 and 3x20. There are a ton of copies but not exact copies and it is pretty easy to see spot them as there are significant differences.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 11:31:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've not spotted a fake yet. Most look like legitimate colt 4x20 and 3x20. There are a ton of copies but not exact copies and it is pretty easy to see spot them as there are significant differences.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

all price 3-400

+1.  i have found 1 or 2 over the years where the colt logo didn't look right.  one was rubbing off.  there's a lot of scope variants but there aren't a large number of counterfeits to worry about.

some of mine below

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:17:35 AM EDT
[#36]
I have used a British Singlepoint, that I didn't like.
And a UltraDot which I love !!
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:16:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

GUU clone - ML3/QRP on a gooseneck or ARMS #2? Just looking for opinions, which would you choose?
View Quote

Anyone?
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#38]
It's a knock off, but I think it's a pretty good one.  

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top