Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2016 3:39:46 PM EDT
What is everyone using for an xm177 slings?
I have looked around and there a few options ? Is there any right / correct slings
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a BAR sling on standby for the completion of my XM177E2. This is what the manual called for. http://www.tarheelordnance.com/store/page5.html These are quite a bit longer than an M1 sling.

A lot of guys make a nice, more comfortable, sling from a GP strap (general purpose). http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/682021_DocMike_s_Field_Expedient_Sling.html

Lots of different make shift slings were used back in the day, from short lengths of rope to surgical tubing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#2]
M1 carbine, found pictures when googling during the build.

Best, BC
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I made my own field expedient sling out of an old general purpose strap and some 550 paracord.
I just followed the directions in the excellent How-To by DocMike I found in the archives.... Clicky Linky

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#5]
You can buy a utility strap off eBay, cut the metal clips and replace them with 550 cord loops.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#6]
On my only carbine (not an XM177), I use a black M1 sling, which is the same thing I'd use for an XM177.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#7]
What is wrong with a standard M16 sling?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#8]
There is no such thing as  "standard M16" sling. The sling called for for both M16 rifles and XM177 series is the M1 sling. Please remember that the M1 sling has nothing to do with M1 Garand, it just happens to be the military designation (nomenclature) for that model sling. Cotton canvas from WW2 up until 1966,followed by the 1st contract for the nylon "seatbelt" sling in 1969.
Also shown in the XM177E2 manual, an alternative for that carbine IS the BAR sling. (if you happen to have a BAR manual and the XM177E2 manual), you will note the same NSN number.
For the record, I recently learned that there were NO cotton canvas slings contracted after 1966 by the US military . I had posted a Q asking if anyone had a 67 or 68 dated cotton canvas sling and no one had any. Now I know why.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:27:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is no such thing as  "standard M16" sling. The sling called for for both M16 rifles and XM177 series is the M1 sling. Please remember that the M1 sling has nothing to do with M1 Garand, it just happens to be the military designation (nomenclature) for that model sling. Cotton canvas from WW2 up until 1966,followed by the 1st contract for the nylon "seatbelt" sling in 1969.
Also shown in the XM177E2 manual, an alternative for that carbine IS the BAR sling. (if you happen to have a BAR manual and the XM177E2 manual), you will note the same NSN number.
For the record, I recently learned that there were NO cotton canvas slings contracted after 1966 by the US military . I had posted a Q asking if anyone had a 67 or 68 dated cotton canvas sling and no one had any. Now I know why.
View Quote

So, as YOU said, the standard M16 sling IS the M1 sling, and it was called for use on the M16 rifles and XM177 series of rifles.  Back to my question, what is wrong with using the standard M16 sling?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#10]
An alternative sling was a GP equipment strap with para cord loops on the ends.  

I use an M1 sling on a rifle build, and have used it on a shorty build "South African" style carry (over the back of the neck with the rifle across the chest), or "Israeli Style" (either the sling over the left shoulder, behind the back of the neck ,with rifle butt under right shoulder, or the sling just over the right shoulder with the rifle under the armpit, muzzle down).

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:21:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's an old AR15.com retro forum thread on it:

AR15.com Archived GP sling thread
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I
The USMC used the cotton web sling until mid-15, also called a parade sling.
The only difference between it and the original M-1 sling is the incorportation of J-hooks for quick removal of the sling.
I have never seen a nylon 'seatbelt' sling used on an M-16 in the Marine Corps. The only nylon sling I have ever seen are the 'silent sling' slings that Colt puts in the accessory package. What is being fielded now are tactical slings, which are decided upon by various commands.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#14]
GP sling is the best sling out there, period... and period correct. Fastest in use IMO. Simple, but perfect. Transitions to pistol very fast - just whip it around to your back.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:04:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So, as YOU said, the standard M16 sling IS the M1 sling, and it was called for use on the M16 rifles and XM177 series of rifles.  Back to my question, what is wrong with using the standard M16 sling?
View Quote

There isn't anything wrong with using one.  The M1 sling was in the supply system and available to anyone issued a rifle or submachinegun (because it's not Carbine XM177 it's Submachinegun XM177!)  It's just not seen very often in period photographs is all.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:10:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the GP sling as well. (I did not have OD para cord at the time, so used camo)

If you ever get down my way I have an extra you can have, or I could meet you half way some morning. I very rarely get up your way anymore. You will just need to do the modification to it.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Got several straps and lots of cord. Only have two made. It's my favorite sling beside the ole seatbelt.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I picked up 2 GP slings off eBay and assigned one to my XM build and the other one will be a spare.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
GP sling is the best sling out there, period... and period correct. Fastest in use IMO. Simple, but perfect. Transitions to pistol very fast - just whip it around to your back.
View Quote

It also happens to be in style right now.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:32:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I picked up a USGI nylon sling from the 70s.  It works quite well.  I also have a GP strap that I might use with paracord, but for now this is working well.

Please pay no mind to the C7 upper, the A2 lower, and the long barrel.  All of that will go away when my Nodak Spud upper and lower receivers come in along with my SBR stamp. Then I'll be stylin'!!

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top