BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/15/2016 11:54:42 PM EDT
US MC stamped on pocket

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 12:23:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Post-Vietnam straight across the top pockets.

Slant pockets were usable so you could get into them while wearing your H-harness.  When women wore them it drew attention to their boobies.

Straight-cut pockets fixed that.

I hate straight-cut pockets in a working combat blouse.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 12:27:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Slant pockets were usable so you could get into them while wearing your H-harness.  When women wore them it drew attention to their boobies.

View Quote
Thank You, with the exception of not being slant pockets are the colors correct? Did different services have different shades or all the same pattern and color?

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 12:31:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thank You, with the exception of not being slant pockets are the colors correct? Did different services have different shades or all the same pattern and color?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The patterns and shades didn't change until later. The branches of today's military use different patterns and maybe different shades. I'm not sure when they switched over to what they are currently wearing. Midway through the Iraq war maybe?

The only difference from what was worn in Vietnam to the early 70's was the slant pockets like mentioned above. It might have been late 70's when they switched to straight pockets.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 12:41:55 AM EDT
[#4]
There were two separate ERDL color patterns -- green dominant and brown dominant.

Your picture is of the brown dominant pattern

This is green dominant:

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 12:45:08 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.mooremilitaria.com/apparel/erdl-jungle-fatigues.html

http://www.mooremilitaria.com/apparel/hats-caps-covers/erdl-utility-cover.html

If you want a set for use, I would highly recommend the reproduction sets from Moore Militaria. Originals are getting old and were made of lightweight fabric to begin with. They had boonies at one time, I'm not seeing any on the website right now. There may also be some retro parts listed under the weapons related category.

ERDL camouflage was available in "brown dominant pattern" and "green dominant pattern" . The early pattern was printed in a way that the colors bled into each other making a blurred edge, the later 1970's pattern had crisp edges from color to color.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:01:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If you want a set for use, I would highly recommend the reproduction sets from Moore Militaria. Originals are getting old and were made of lightweight fabric to begin with. They had boonies at one time, I'm not seeing any on the website right now. There may also be some retro parts listed under the weapons related category.

ERDL camouflage was available in "brown dominant pattern" and "green dominant pattern" . The early pattern was printed in a way that the colors bled into each other making a blurred edge, the later 1970's pattern had crisp edges from color to color.

View Quote

I got it for $35 as I saw it as more practical for hunting use than being historically correct. I wear multicam a lot when I hunt, but I just don't like the association it implies with modern military service as I have never served in the military. The ERDL is just as good of hunting camo as multicam, likely better in my parts, and there is no confusion about me serving in that era as I am way too young lol.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:02:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Did both brown and green dominate enter service at the same time? Is one earlier than the other?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:06:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Another quick question.

Are there any differences in the pants?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:50:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Did both brown and green dominate enter service at the same time? Is one earlier than the other?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes

Quoted:
Another quick question.
Are there any differences in the pants?

The pleats on the side pockets are different, 'Nam era trousers had a zipper fly, later 1970's Rapid Deployment Force RDF uniform had a button fly

ETA: RDF refers to the cut of the uniform, not the camo pattern. It was issued to the 82nd Airborne and USMC.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 3:59:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 4:10:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think the life of the uniforms were very short. I have heard stories of Soldiers uniforms rotting off of them after spending a month in the jungle and being transported back to base camp in the back in Hueys. Stunk real bad too. I also know that name tapes were in short supply. Soldiers would sharpie their names/US Army and even skill badges.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There were two separate ERDL color patterns -- green dominant and brown dominant.

This is green dominant:

http://www.mooremilitaria.com/media/wysiwyg/Class_II_ERDL.jpg
View Quote

This is what I was issued in Marine Corps boot camp (Parris Island) in 1978. I was in the first series to get these. We were issued two sets of ODs and two sets of the ERDL cammies. I hated it when we went to the straight-cut pockets.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:37:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Straight-cut ERDL with the single-pleat trouser pockets were in the system around 1975-ish.

My 1978-odd issue was about 90% green dominant and 10% brown.

The cammie print was indeed better.  Woodland M1983 ("BDU") is a much larger pattern with distinct edges.

The ERDL pattern is fantastic.  If you look at Multicam/OCP it's just a color variation vice a major shape shift.  Multicam is truly a better all-around coloration and pattern, but ERDL green is GREAT in any kind of wooded/verdant area.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#14]
The "Rip-Stop" fabric ripped easily, but it was lightweight and dried quickly after getting wet.

Super comfortable fatigues. Like pajamas.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#15]
RDF camo shirt. Used in between ERDL and Woodland (1976-1981)
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#16]
This guy on Youtube does a lot of great videos on camouflage. He does videos on all patterns and uniforms used through the years of the military. I'm not sure how far back he goes. I have seen WWII all the way to present day. I have not watched them all but really interesting to see what works and what doesn't. Might be some helpful things in his videos. I also think he covers the history of them a bit. It has been a while since I watched them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This is what I was issued in Marine Corps boot camp (Parris Island) in 1978. I was in the first series to get these. We were issued two sets of ODs and two sets of the ERDL cammies. I hated it when we went to the straight-cut pockets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is green dominant:

http://www.mooremilitaria.com/media/wysiwyg/Class_II_ERDL.jpg

1 year after for me. I got two ERDL slant pocket blouses and 2 straight pocket. Trousers were all straight pocket and yes, they did suck and look like shit compared to the slant pockets. I think a couple of platoons behind me got the two sateen/two cammies. Sateen covers for years though.

S/F
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top