Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/17/2016 9:48:32 AM EDT
I wanted to start a discussion about the very early 601 FCG. There is something totally different about them. Is it the quality of workmanship during that time period. When I shoot a AR with a nuetered 601 FCG I am noticeably more accurate. The pull is smooth and the break is great. It is just better. I do notice the disconnector is shaped differently. I can still shoot pretty good last month I shot 39/40 with a raggedy FN A2 for Army qualification.

Late 70s M16 FCG moded to semi automatic spec. Notice the difference in the shape of the disconector.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I've noticed they are generally better also and make a decent foundation for a very good single stage FCG if one doesn't mind actually using the rare pieces.  Probably quality control that hadn't been corner cut to death since it's introduction for reasoning.  Current production S in square for coins is probably the best readily available today until one steps up to aftermarket.  The dot marked stuff pretty much blows and most should be ashamed to even call those American manufactured from the few I've actually used.

Looking back I probably regret neutering the 01 units although my justification was nothing spent vs spending a few coins,  resources and the time factor.  It's what I had on hand to complete a build.  Hindsight I should have sold the 01 pieces and not neuter them or simply bought something better with sales profits but my decision to put something together immediately and shoot it outweighed the better judgement call of wait and purchase an aftermaket or not use a fairly rare FCG.  I also prefer a modified single stage over a two stage in most shooting applications.  Possibly if I had been brought up on Geisselle or such I would have a different opinion.

Good to better shooters can generally make most anything work with better than decent results without breaking the bank also.  Hence the 39/40 score with a well worn nothing special weapon.  Nice shooting.

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've noticed they are generally better also and make a decent foundation for a very good single stage FCG if one doesn't mind actually using the rare pieces.  Probably quality control that hadn't been corner cut to death since it's introduction for reasoning.  Current production S in square for coins is probably the best readily available today until one steps up to aftermarket.  The dot marked stuff pretty much blows and most should be ashamed to even call those American manufactured from the few I've actually used.

Looking back I probably regret neutering the 01 units although my justification was nothing spent vs spending a few coins,  resources and the time factor.  It's what I had on hand to complete a build.  Hindsight I should have sold the 01 pieces and not neuter them or simply bought something better with sales profits but my decision to put something together immediately and shoot it outweighed the better judgement call of wait and purchase an aftermaket of not a rare FCG.  I also prefer a modified single stage a two stage in most shooting applications.  Possibly if I had been brought up on Geisselle or such I would have a different opinion.

Good to better shooters can generally make most anything work with better than decent results without breaking the bank also.  Hence the 39/40 score with a well worn nothing special weapon.  Nice shooting.

View Quote

Thanks figured I'd have to do OK since I'm retiring next month after 23 years of service.  Maybe the last time I ever shoot another real M16!
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks figured I'd have to do OK since I'm retiring next month after 23 years of service.  Maybe the last time I ever shoot another real M16!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looking back I probably regret neutering the 01 units although my justification was nothing spent vs spending a few coins,  resources and the time factor.  It's what I had on hand to complete a build.  Hindsight I should have sold the 01 pieces and not neuter them or simply bought something better with sales profits but my decision to put something together immediately and shoot it outweighed the better judgement call of wait and purchase an aftermaket of not a rare FCG.  I also prefer a modified single stage a two stage in most shooting applications.  Possibly if I had been brought up on Geisselle or such I would have a different opinion.

Well shoot some m16s!
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#4]
My question is why did you alter it? I NEVER use the disconnector from a FA kit in my retro builds. But I still have it. its the only piece that can possibly cause it to multi fire on a single trigger pull short of a general trigger failure.  All my retros you open up are not milled to accept a sear and all have the tip on the hammer still to better preserve the authenticity of the rebuild with period correct parts.

Just curious if you know something I don't, or haven't heard yet?
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My question is why did you alter it? I NEVER use the disconnector from a FA kit in my retro builds. But I still have it. its the only piece that can possibly cause it to multi fire on a single trigger pull short of a general trigger failure.  All my retros you open up are not milled to accept a sear and all have the tip on the hammer still to better preserve the authenticity of the rebuild with period correct parts.

Just curious if you know something I don't, or haven't heard yet?
View Quote

It will never be in a 601 again, as well as its legal to use when modified. I like the way it shoots so I just did what I wanted with it. It is never going to be for sale. Also to note that modified FCG is not a 601 version. The two pics are there to show the difference in the disconector.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I used unmodified M16 FCG, except for a semi auto disconnector on my retro builds.  Much smoother than the aftermarket ones in my modern builds.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I might add, that this three shot, one hole 25 yard group was with an AR15Sport.com 1/9 pencil barrel and a Colt M16 Hammer and trigger in my 604 (turning into 602 build now).  Ammo was Federal/Lake City M193.

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Good shooting Bernie, I put 5 in one hole at 25 yards with my XM16E1 with moded 601 FCG. Same 55 grain federal ammo.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 12:38:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I just cut the shark fin off the selector. Without an autosear the hammer hook is harmless. If there is no hole for the sear it wont fit. Case point
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#10]
ANd they are made different. You would think the best aftermarket is BCM parts and the colt stuff is way smoother than BCM.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just cut the shark fin off the selector. Without an autosear the hammer hook is harmless. If there is no hole for the sear it wont fit. Case point
View Quote

Yeah, but it is SO HARD (mentally) to cut the shark fin off of a nice dimpled selector!
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah, but it is SO HARD (mentally) to cut the shark fin off of a nice dimpled selector!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first time is the worst, done it twice lol.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!  It is easier to use a semi disconnector!  Argh!  I just can't murder an M16 FCG!  It is sacrilegious blasphemy and heresy!
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This!  It is easier to use a semi disconnector!  Argh!  I just can't murder an M16 FCG!  It is sacrilegious blasphemy and heresy!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/18/2016 10:41:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree - I think the disconnector is the key. The trigger in my 604 had a neutered M16 disconnector, and it was one of the best stock triggers I've ever felt on an AR.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top