Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2017 1:38:42 PM EDT
I was at the gun show a couple weekends ago in Reno and picked up a set of A1 handguards. They are shiny and feel pretty hefty (if that's a word), and are heavier than my A2 handguards. I probably paid to much for them, but I got them anyway. I like the way they feel and look. I currently do not have an A1, just an A2 clone and a flat top right now. The most experience I have with the A1 is packing them around Sand Hill in boot camp at Ft Benning, GA.

These handguards seem to be in pretty good shape, although there is a broken piece on the end but doesn't seem to effect anything or be seen when on my A2 clone.

My questions is, Would these be a good candidate for cutting down to a mid length for my 16" flat top bastard? (Eventually it will be wearing an A1 or A2 upper receiver), trade them for a set that is already cut to mid length? Or Forget the whole idea?

So does anyone know what vintage these are? Would I be stoned in the square if I cut these up?  

Here are a couple pictures. I've included a link to my google drive for more pictures.

Google Drive - A1 Handguards

Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was at the gun show a couple weekends ago in Reno and picked up a set of A1 handguards. They are shiny and feel pretty hefty (if that's a word), and are heavier than my A2 handguards. I probably paid to much for them, but I got them anyway. I like the way they feel and look. I currently do not have an A1, just an A2 clone and a flat top right now. The most experience I have with the A1 is packing them around Sand Hill in boot camp at Ft Benning, GA.

These handguards seem to be in pretty good shape, although there is a broken piece on the end but doesn't seem to effect anything or be seen when on my A2 clone.

My questions is, Would these be a good candidate for cutting down to a mid length for my 16" flat top bastard? (Eventually it will be wearing an A1 or A2 upper receiver), trade them for a set that is already cut to mid length? Or Forget the whole idea?

So does anyone know what vintage these are? Would I be stoned in the square if I cut these up?  

Here are a couple pictures. I've included a link to my google drive for more pictures.

Google Drive - A1 Handguards

http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/sunshinne/20170912_071922_1_.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/sunshinne/20170912_071911_1_.jpg
View Quote

If they are original equipment, I would not cut them up, they are getting harder to find decent pairs of the.

Just pick up a set of reproductions from Brownell's and cut them down, they came out at a pretty good price point, I bought the whole set, handguards, pistol grip and buttstock for $79.99 the other day.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:49:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Scarcity = value increasing.

They are worth more intact than mangled.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#3]
They're yours. You paid for them. Do with them what you want. HG's and type D and E stocks get cut up all the time for projects.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Hang on to them, you will likely build an A1 some day...
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#5]
It takes a bit more than a cut..  

if they don't have cracks. hang onto them..
I don't thnk its going to be cheap to reproduce them 100% accruatly.

Most all h/gs crack in the same place (and would make perfect middy hh/g production)  but it that another story.
Everyone wants something different. If a mass made product is made I bet its gonna be PIM and cheap like TCs 607s.

Do no fear rolling your own. You will come up with a much better product even if it takes you 3 tries..
It took me a some time

lampblack will dye JB weld black.. FWIW
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#6]
They seem to be in pretty good shape. I cannot see any cracks anywhere, just a little chunk missing where it goes into the barrel nut assembly. There are some scratches on them, like they've been used alot, but the color is nice and they feel very solid. I would rather just find some mid length ones aftermarket. I may just hang on to them for a rainy day or wild hair or whatever!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top