Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/29/2019 12:43:37 PM EDT
Looks like WW is getting into the retro game.  Just received an email from Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore promoting Windham's new "A1 Gov" retro style rifle.  Seems like it's just their A4 with a C7 upper and A1 handguards + grip.   "A new take on a classic build", so they say.  Wish they could pair it with an A1 profile barrel and A1 length stock though.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/216843?utm_source=032919&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=032919
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll own one if prices keep coming down.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad to see more entering the area but I agree with the above. Should have done an a1 profile on the barrel(having the 1/7 twist or maybe a 1/8 is going to be better for most than 1/12) and a a1 stock.

I'd personally rather have the older profile on the lower receiver but I can see not doing that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Their xm177 style carbine is more accurate IIRC
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 1:30:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glad to see more entering the area but I agree with the above. Should have done an a1 profile on the barrel(having the 1/7 twist or maybe a 1/8 is going to be better for most than 1/12) and a a1 stock.

I'd personally rather have the older profile on the lower receiver but I can see not doing that.
View Quote
I actually much prefer the A2 lower to the A1.  Much stronger with barely any weight difference.  Can't really tell a difference looks wise either, unless you're a retrohead.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I would buy it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#6]
What makes the A2 lower stronger than the A1?
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What makes the A2 lower stronger than the A1?
View Quote
Front pin reinforcement and rear buffertube reinforcement.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#8]
But why they gotta call it an A1?  It's got the worst attributes of the A2 (minus the grip ski-jump)...  Needlessly heavy barrel and looks like a too long A2 stock.  Come to think of it, kind of seems like the worst of both worlds, an A2 with brittle handguards, a slip ring, and non-adjusto sights.  Why is this a thing?

They could have used an A1 length stock, A2 handguards, and a pencil barrel, for greater utility.  Just seems like another gimmick for the unknowing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#9]
For folks that want that "kinda, sorta" retro look. For something much closer to A1 configuration you would be better served with the Brownell's Retro model.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 9:14:06 PM EDT
[#10]
So it’s an a A2/C7 with A1 handguards and grip
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't forget the slip ring.  Slip being the operative word.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
But why they gotta call it an A1?  It's got the worst attributes of the A2 (minus the grip ski-jump)...  Needlessly heavy barrel and looks like a too long A2 stock.  Come to think of it, kind of seems like the worst of both worlds, an A2 with brittle handguards, a slip ring, and non-adjusto sights.  Why is this a thing?

They could have used an A1 length stock, A2 handguards, and a pencil barrel, for greater utility.  Just seems like another gimmick for the unknowing.
View Quote
That's one of my favorite AR configurations.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 10:02:33 PM EDT
[#13]
This reminds me of my neighbor who builds but not Retro versed at all. Came over with a A2 rifle with triangle handguards and said " Hey I built one just like your "old ones". Probably shouldn't have pointed out the flaws in the "Retro" build.....but I did.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Either clone the damn thing or don't even bother.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 12:21:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I love most all things from ww

but this is

not what I want
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 12:46:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ha, an A2/C7/A1.  I like it.  Better patent that term now sir.

Seriously. This is for the I'd kinda like to have a retroish rifle in my collection crowd who don't know any better.  Great way to move a bunch of A2 buttstocks they probably have been sitting on.  I wouldn't doubt it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 8:08:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Their A4 version for $649 is the way to go. I have been tempted many times by it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would engrave a big maple leaf on it, change the grip and handguards to A2 and call it a C7.  

http://www.military-today.com/firearms/c7.jpg

Then I would make Canadian clone carbines too.
View Quote
Mike, that is pretty much what I recommended to Mark L. Eliason, Windham Weaponry VP of Sales & Marketing in an e-mail I sent yesterday. In regard to that e-mail, I received a reply this afternoon.

Thank you for the response on our first A1 offering. I’m from the original Bushmaster employee group and wanted to test the market on a Windham Weaponry version of a Bushmaster style A1 that sold quite well back in the day. We intend to offer more A1 versions and more period correct models, but I wanted to see how the market response was before we invested the time and money. We had a commitment on the first A1 run from a distributor on this model and it proved the A1’s are still popular. I appreciate your comments and will keep these in mind on future A1 offerings.

Thank you!

Mark L. Eliason
VP of Sales & Marketing
Office: 207-893-2223

I did e-mail him back. I await his reply, if any.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 11:02:50 PM EDT
[#21]
They could do a lot better if they just sold complete uppers, if they want to skip A1 lowers.

Sell A1 uppers, C7s, etc.

Instead, it's a frankengun right from the start.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 11:38:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Either clone the damn thing or don't even bother.
View Quote
I can't say I really care for the impossible to use flat slip ring or if it has reinforcements on the lower. Some want every part to be first run authentic. For me, it's the overall profile.

My important parts list would be the shorter A1 stock, non-A2 upper (not particular about C7/A1/e1/whatever, though no deflector would be nice) triangle handguards and a 1/7 to 1/9 pencil barrel.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#23]
The A1 1/2, C7 upper receiver works for me. Left hander, with Basic ptsd from ole' faithful (hydramatic m16A1) dumping hot brass at my neck and down the BDUs  The A2 lower and BBL profile are the real fail inducer for me.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 6:22:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
My thoughts exactly
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:58:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I get trying to test the retro waters with a new “clone” but building a rifle nobody asked for and using it to test the retro market is kind of an unfair statement.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, I can kind of tell them how that water will be and it will probably kill any other ideas of “retro” builds for them
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm a number 2.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's too exhausting to try and have everything correct all the time.

When it comes to my personal firearms I'm a hobbyist also. Some days I'd say I'm even a 2.5.

Because I like to mix and match the best elements of retro and modern.
View Quote
I would say that I am mostly a hobbyist, but have some purist in me too. To me, if you are going to build a retro type of AR, you need to have the primary details correct, otherwise, you are just building a retro-inspired AR. Windham's is a retro-inspired build at best. Not much of anything is correct for an A1 other than the handguards, pistol grip, and flat slip ring.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#31]
For some reason, the look of this thing is kind of growing on me. I may end up getting one, probably for the same reason I dated women that were bad for me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I would engrave a big maple leaf on it, change the grip and handguards to A2 and call it a C7.  

http://www.military-today.com/firearms/c7.jpg

Then I would make Canadian clone carbines too.
View Quote
this here.Also I would just like to see some lightweight 1-7s (in all lengths) especially by WW.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Their barrels (old Bushy, new Windham) are really good.
View Quote
I agree. I have four of their 20" Gov't profile barrels and they are great. I also have an older Windham, ME Bushmaster with a 1/9 HBAR and it shoots great as well.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I would say that I am mostly a hobbyist, but have some purist in me too. To me, if you are going to build a retro type of AR, you need to have the primary details correct, otherwise, you are just building a retro-inspired AR. Windham's is a retro-inspired build at best. Not much of anything is correct for an A1 other than the handguards, pistol grip, and flat slip ring.
View Quote
I’d say I’m the same. I absolutely had to have the Type-D stock, pre-A1 grip, and improved flash hider, but I’m not springing the money for all the other parts to make it a 602 clone. Finding a nickel BCG without forward assist serrations would probably be nice though.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#36]
I believe Windham's front sight post is the square A2 type. Would replacing it with an A1 post be worth anything?
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I believe Windham's front sight post is the square A2 type. Would replacing it with an A1 post be worth anything?
View Quote
For me, the front post being a2 or A1 is a very small detail, like certain markings.

Unless the rest is correct (barrel profile, upper/lowerprofile, etc) the front sight being a certain way isn't worth anything. Now if Brownells sold an A1 profile front sight that could be adjusted with the standard a2 tool, that would be perfect I think.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Why not spend a little bit more $$$ and get a real Colt Sporter or SP1?

You buy that Windham for ~$850, take it to the range once and you'd be lucky to resell it for $600.  Buy the Colt for ~$1200, have an original/correct gun, take it to the range a bunch of times and it still worth $1200 and will appreciate in value as time goes on.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 5:20:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You buy that Windham for ~$850, take it to the range once and you'd be lucky to resell it for $600.  Buy the Colt for ~$1200, have an original/correct gun, take it to the range a bunch of times and it still worth $1200 and will appreciate in value as time goes on.
View Quote
Not everybody buys stuff to sell, and $400 saved can buy a lot of ammo.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not everybody buys stuff to sell, and $400 saved can buy a lot of ammo.
View Quote
Bingo.  $400 spent smartly and you can cobble together another completely functional beater AR pattern firearm as well.  Or other accessories and parts for other projects etc...........
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Meh, looks like an A2 with A1 HG to me. Do not want.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
SP1s selling for under $1300 are not exactly easy to come by these days.  Looks like the average selling price is in the mid thousand range lately.  Point is still well taken but the price difference is more than you make it seem for those where almost twice the price will make a difference.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

SP1s selling for under $1300 are not exactly easy to come by these days.  Looks like the average selling price is in the mid thousand range lately.  Point is still well taken but the price difference is more than you make it seem for those where almost twice the price will make a difference.
View Quote
My 1977 was $1,000
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 11:46:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

My 1977 was $1,000
View Quote
When / where did you find it for that price.

Do you think that is a typical deal available for that gun, or a very rare / fortunate one?

There are always outliers of people stumbling across killer deals.  Check out the "The Gun Gods have been good to me" thread on this very forum.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 4:43:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Do you think that is a typical deal available for that gun, or a very rare / fortunate one?

There are always outliers of people stumbling across killer deals.  Check out the "The Gun Gods have been good to me" thread on this very forum.
View Quote
Its pretty easy to buy a Sporter or SP1 in the $1200 range. Just check gunbroker.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Charleston, just after the new year.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#47]
This came in to my FFL today. Windham sure makes a pretty AR:

Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Cool, but Kinda of a weird combo to market as Retro, I think a straight m16a2 would have been better since the only a1 part is the hand guards.

Also on the levels cloning, I'm  in the Hobbyist/casual segment, my colt 733 is going to pretty close functionally correct but the only colt part will probably be the hand guards. At the same time I have heard of guys who call anybody who does not use correctly marked full auto lowers as casuals.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top