BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 6/14/2008 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#1]
All very good information WES. Thanks for the data.
Always good stuff from you guys.
Im also glad to see you and Paul are playing with Piston ARs now.
Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 4:29:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 5:27:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Delivered today. I can't wait to shoot it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2008 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I have been running the PWS for about six months.....

I hardly ever get to shoot it, but I host a private shoot once a month, every time, there would be a newbie without an AR that I would loan the PWS to him. so far five range sessions yield approximately 3000 rounds of various reloads, Wolf, PMC, Winchester, and mil-surplus.  

Then I attended a two days Surefire carbine course and I again loan this carbine out to any one that want to shoot it, day one, some one with a broken DPMS borrow it and run approximately 750 rounds down range using Perv 5.56, and day two a gentleman with a Kel-Tec shot about another 750 rounds down range using locally produced reload(ammo bro---crap).

Plus some rounds send down range by little ole me, another 500 rounds or so...

Total approximately 5000 rounds so far...WITHOUT CLEANING or LUBE.

the system ran flewlessly!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 6/18/2008 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/18/2008 12:48:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 7:56:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 8:59:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 10:17:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Long story short....there is no need to spend the extra money on a piston system....no matter who you are, DI guns work just fine. Pistons are the new flavor of the month...an by the way...it doesn't taste too good. Nothing more than hype and internet marketing to people who don't know any better than to buy what they think/told what is cool. This isn't a rant about the PWS piston, though I saw it break more than once, I am against all pistion systems...HK...whatever. Show me a real need for sweeping change and I will become a believer, but as of yet I don't see one good reason in sight to ditch the DI system. Now a piston for an SBR? Maybe...but even then, I know of a lot of 10.5 DI Colts that have worked just fine and have been ran pretty hard for the last seven years in some pretty extreme places.    
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 3:17:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 6:06:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Long story short....there is no need to spend the extra money on a piston system....no matter who you are, DI guns work just fine. Pistons are the new flavor of the month...an by the way...it doesn't taste too good. Nothing more than hype and internet marketing to people who don't know any better than to buy what they think/told what is cool. This isn't a rant about the PWS piston, though I saw it break more than once, I am against all pistion systems...HK...whatever. Show me a real need for sweeping change and I will become a believer, but as of yet I don't see one good reason in sight to ditch the DI system. Now a piston for an SBR? Maybe...but even then, I know of a lot of 10.5 DI Colts that have worked just fine and have been ran pretty hard for the last seven years in some pretty extreme places.    

YOU SAW WHAT SPECIFIC "IT" BREAK MORE THAN ONCE, THE ADCO ONE?

OR ONE ASSEMBLED BY SOMEONE ELSE?

WES

hes just sippin' the Haterade, the only thing worse than internet hype is internet BS, where everybody has done it all and seen it all.
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm surprised at the animosity betwen adco and PWS.  I respect both, and hope the misunderstanding gets fixed up.  It would have been neat to send an upper to adco and have the system installed
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 10:37:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
WHAT SORT OF COMPONENTS DID YOU USE IN YOUR PWS PISTON SYSTEM BUILD? PIX, MAYBE?

I WOULD GUESS THAT THEY WOULD HAVE TO BE TOP SHELF, BECAUSE 5,000 RD OF QUESTIONABLE AMMO WITH NO CLEANING OR LUBE IS QUITE A CHALLENGE.

GOOD SHOOTING,

WES

Well, I slammed my upper together in my bacyard with Model 1 barrel, American Spirit Arms upper and a left over Hesse rceiver, snap it all together with my pipewrench....

All joking a side, herre is the break down of the components that Todd at PWS put ogether for me with love:)

LMT Receiver
Diemaco C8A2 14.5" Hammer Forged CL barrel
LMT bolt carrier group
PRI Gas Buster
Vortex G6A2
Daniel Defense Lite Rail.
Mid West Industry Front and Rear BUIS.

I mounted the front BUIS on the rail instead of the set screw gas block for security reason.

Correction: I did wipe it down after the Surefire class during the suppressor test. fired about five magazines with the SF can and it also ran fine, afterwards, I just took the carrier out to wipe it down and lube it with soime more Mil-Tec.

As far as the balanced carrier design with the rod attached to the gas key, this method has had no ill effect such as carrier tipping.

Recoil is very smooth with a 9mm buffer and less sharply as the LWRC. I would rank the PWS on par with the LWRC with lower pricing.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 3:11:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WES

I consider an upper with a tool steel piston rusted in place “broke”. After letting a your piston system sit for a week the piston rusted to shit. The design needs a piston made from a better material, but trading corrosion resistance for durability leads to a paperweight after use with a suppressor if not immediately cleaned…I’ve never seen a gas tube rust in a carrier key before....

Link Posted: 6/20/2008 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

WES

Holy smokes...yes I saw the Adco PWS break twice on the range, once with as little as 10 to 15 rds through it I believe. Still...who wants a rifle that will rust shut after a week if yu do't clean it?
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 1:29:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#25]

Apparently rusting shut after a week is not an actual issue.  So it seems we can all go back to being civilized.

Todd

But where did the uncivilized start?  Listen I am a nobody here and really don't have a dog in the fight other than being a customer that likes new goodies.  I also consider Steve a friend (even though I am considered the gauge).  More importantly and even rarer in todays morals and ethics I actually trust him.  Had I listened more closely to him at times I would have saved a bunch of money on the fad of the day.

I think something is missing in all this dialogue.  Steve is a business man and his business is supplying the wants and needs of the AR fans.  He makes lots of money on fads that get started right here.  How he earns trust though is he is willing to telling anyone that would listen that certain items are just a waste of money but if you insist I'll be happy to get you one.  This was he feelings on piston ARs.  Myself and others asked many questions and showed him the newest latest and greatest article on pistons and would be met with his famous long winded answer of "it's gay!"  Then he found the PWS system and he still thought it was unnecessary but the PWS system had merit.   So, without knowing all the details he got on board to become a PWS dealer and installer and he started testing it as only Steve does.   Notable authorities like Larry Vickers have said a piston probably isn't necessary for most unless shooting full auto, suppressed or with a SBR.  So guess what, if that is what pistons are great for, that is how Steve tested it.  It didn't work, PERIOD!  There was a similar thread going on in another forum run by a once respected part of this community.  When I mentioned to the OP of that thread, GOTM4 he confirmed that PWS had told him the same thing, the piston is too soft for SBRs.  There was no hate and discontent or malice over there.

Why here then??????????????  Steve found a flaw, plain and simple.  YOur product can now be better because he found it.  To think his installation was the problem seems silly considering the years of experience building, shooting and competing with an AR he and the machine shop that did the actual install has.  

With all due respect to PWS the uncivilized nature of this thread seemed to start with the announcement by your new dealer.  Also with all due respect, Wes will be better for your business as he will PIMP this to great lengths as the greatest thing since sliced bread and your business will prosper for it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Good - So does that mean I can have a PWS piston installed at adco now
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 9:16:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 5:36:05 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Apparently not everyone agrees with your statement.  

I personally know of a very large "Training Group" supplying civilian contractors abroad that is currently testing a few of the piston systems with the intention of either retrofitting (preferred) existing weapons with piston systems, or if no suitable retrofit is found, replacing their weapons with POF piston uppers.

I also have two friends who work for L3 that are in Iraq right now, and they were extremely anxious to get a POF upper for one of them before deploying.  (The other already has a POF)

In your back yard, or at the local range, and even during CQB matches, none of us "need" anything other than a DI system.  Overseas however, there is plenty of evidence that a good piston system is better than DI for real life use.

BTW - I do NOT own any piston systems.
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 8:03:56 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WES

Holy smokes...yes I saw the Adco PWS break twice on the range, once with as little as 10 to 15 rds through it I believe. Still...who wants a rifle that will rust shut after a week if yu do't clean it?

well out of the few we've built we have yet to see any rust issues...  my tool steel piston functions like a champ after weeks of sitting.   no dessicant, open air...   i love my setup.

Link Posted: 6/25/2008 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#31]
The FedEx lady dropped off my upper this morning...I can't wait to put some rounds through it!

HUGE +1 for Henderson Defense (one of PWS's authorized installers). They got it done very fast and the install looks great.
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#32]
will the system work on a mid length predator rail with a carbine gas system on a 11.5 barrel and sit flush with the front of the predator
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 7:47:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#34]
cool thanks I am in ky are there any retailors nearby. and how much
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 8:08:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Excuse my ignorance, but why would you need a PRI gas buster for a GP system?
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 3:04:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Also, piston or DI, you still get gas blow back when using a suppressor.  It isn't as much with a piston but there can still be some.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#40]
I have two POF piston systems andnumerous POF rails.  POF is the way to go for a piston.  The 9.25" rocks on my M16 and the 20" and I are just getting to know one another.

That said, I have been watching the various drop in piston systems that have come to market and I have a few questions:

1.  How does the PWS compare to the ARES?
2.  Why use the long Op rod attached to the bolt carrier key?  POF, LWRC, HK, Ares used a separate op rod.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#42]
I am still considering getting one of these.
To be honest the only reason I want one is to help with the clean up after shooting a suppressed rifle all day.
They won't let me take my own stuff when I deploy anyways so it won't be going to war with me.
Phessor
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 5:01:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Nice
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Finally put some rounds through my rifle with a can on it.

The rifle functioned flawlessly, however, if you are buying a gas piston system because you believe you receiver will stay spotless with a suppressor in place and only for that reason, I'm here to tell you it won't.

I'm sure it cuts down on the gas coming back into the receiver simply by replacing the gas tube, but there's still quite a bit coming in through the action with the suppressor attached.

Without the suppressor mounted on the gun, it runs incredibly clean. With the suppressor, it still gets dirty. I can't say how much the piston system reduced the gas coming back into the receiver vs. the DI because I never shot the rifle with the suppressor on it before the conversion. I'm sure it reduced it to some degree.

Am I still happy with my PWS conversion? Hell yes. It's still a superior system and I'm 100% satisfied at this point in time. I just wanted to post my shooting experience with a suppressor on the rifle. And all the suppressed shooting was done with the system on the "-" setting.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#45]
AceV, do you have pics of your setup? or could you give a description of you upper. I would like to know what barrel length, handguard, and suppressor you are using.

How many rounds did you shoot suppressed and unsuppressed?
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
AceV, do you have pics of your setup? or could you give a description of you upper. I would like to know what barrel length, handguard, and suppressor you are using.

How many rounds did you shoot suppressed and unsuppressed?

Here's the upper setup:

WOA Flattop Upper Receiver
AO Tactical Hardcore BCG
WOA 16" SPR SS Barrel 1/7 (mid length gas port)
DD 12.0 FSPM Lite
AAC SOPMOD FH
AAC 7.62 SD
and of course, the PWS Piston Conversion (mid-length)

I probably shot 60 rounds unsuppressed through it, around 40 suppressed so far. As soon as my employer runs another Patrol Rifle cert. course, I should have an additional 750-1000 through it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#48]

Will the piston system fit in a PRI GEN III tube?

Chris
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Is that a billet lower with the "waffle grid" on the front side of the mag well? Who makes it?
Page / 11
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top