User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/2/2016 9:23:39 AM EDT
Suggestions
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Budget: Primary Arms micro
All out: Aimpoint T-1/T-2, comp m4 or Trijicon mro,IMO.

Depends on what you wanna spend and what role your weapon will fill.

There are several others, these are all I have experience with.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:33:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive really been enjoying my Vortex SPARC AR @ 1/3 cowitness.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#3]
How much do you want to spend?  There's many good choices starting around $170 (Primary Arms' 50K battery model) and rise real quick.  And with some you'll need to budget for some sort of mount, depending on if you want to fully co-witness the A2 sight or a taller mount for a 1/3 co-witness.  And increase your budget if you want a QD mount.

If you're looking for an inexpensive simple red dot, the Bushnell TRS-25 has received many thumbs up over the years.  They can sometimes be found for $60-ish when on sale. I really like my budget setup: a yellow-colored model with UTG mid-rise mount to fully co-witiness with my A2 sight.  FWIW: Some folks have stated the TRS-25 version (with white-colored brand name on housing) are not as good as the older yellow-colored name.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Pretty sure the newer Trs sights have the emitter at the 6 o clock position, making it a bitch to use in lower 1/3 applications.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Holosun / Primary Arms ACSS

You went budget on the rifle, no need to break the bank on a RDS, keep your costs down and get a useful and durable sight.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I have two of the Primary Arms $70 30mm red Dots that have been going strong for quite awhile now. Also used their non 50k micro for a few years. No complaints at all.

I always use cowitnessed irons/BUIS on my rifles so even if the optic went down I have irons and I'm perfectly fine with irons for HD either way.

If I was looking to spend money on one though it would be an Aimpoint Micro without question. Cheaper than that a PRO or SPARC II
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How much do you want to spend?  There's many good choices starting around $170 (Primary Arms' 50K battery model) and rise real quick.  And with some you'll need to budget for some sort of mount, depending on if you want to fully co-witness the A2 sight or a taller mount for a 1/3 co-witness.  And increase your budget if you want a QD mount.

If you're looking for an inexpensive simple red dot, the Bushnell TRS-25 has received many thumbs up over the years.  They can sometimes be found for $60-ish when on sale. I really like my budget setup: a yellow-colored model with UTG mid-rise mount to fully co-witiness with my A2 sight.  FWIW: Some folks have stated the TRS-25 version (with white-colored brand name on housing) are not as good as the older yellow-colored name.
View Quote

I'm looking to spend 200-250 bucks.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've actually looked it up. Not a bad price might consider it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm also looking at reflex sights. Any sight that's not an Eotech
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#10]
PRO works great.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I am really digging my DI Optical RV1.

Its built like tank. I cannot imagine any other budget red dot sight being as overbuilt as this one. 10k - 20k hours battery life on a AA and Mil StD 810 Environment tested.

My initial impressions are good. It's literally a solid block of aluminum with knobs. Weight is 14 oz, and it's a sorta lower third cowitness.

For $229!

I wanted to try this thing for a while and decided since there were no reviews I would buy it myself and review it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a aimpoint pro on one of my rifles with a A2 front sight. It works great.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have that dot on my AR.  Nice product but it has a 2 MOA dot that really fills the target at 100 yds.
As someone else stated, it depends what you are using the rifle for.  Most red dots are not for precision shooting.  Their advantage is, no eye relief and they offer very quick target acquisition..

Link Posted: 11/19/2016 3:56:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I like my Vortex Strikefire 2 as well as my Sparc AR. They're mounted on a M4gery and 10.5 pistol respectively - the 10.5 doesnt have FSB though
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like my Vortex Strikefire 2 as well as my Sparc AR. They're mounted on a M4gery and 10.5 pistol respectively - the 10.5 doesnt have FSB though
View Quote

Does the sparc ar go well with a rifle with a FSB? Or do I need a riser for it?
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#16]
http://palmettostatearmory.com/bushnell-trs-25-hirise-ar-optic-ar731306.html
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 11:25:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Should work fine it includes a shim to take it to a lower third co-witness so you've got your choice.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#18]
The front sight base doesn't factor in. Aimpoint would be an all-in choice. Go lower 1/3 mount height to get the post out of the sight picture more
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:53:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Man, I hate to be such a noob (though we all were, once) but I wonder about this topic too. Do I shim the red dot up to clear the front sight? Do I use the red dot and the front sight post together? I borrowed an AR from a friend that had a scope mounted low. Too low. It was hard to get my face down there, and the original owner had cut off the top of the front sight. Sight picture should be comfortable, which is why I wonder about height of optic.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top