Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/4/2012 6:30:58 AM EDT
Considering a 5" barrel upper, flash hider installed, no can...do you see any problems (functional not legal)?

What about with no flash hider?

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:39:36 AM EDT
[#1]
People run 9mm pistols with 3" barrels all the time.  Unless you're working on a DI 9mm AR, I don't see a problem.  You MAY need a heavier buffer, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:48:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted: People run 9mm pistols with 3" barrels all the time.

WOW!

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:48:28 AM EDT
[#3]
It'll run fine, with or without a flash hider.  The only thing I'd be worried about is where my support hand is during firing.  There are a few short rail systems out there that will work with a barrel that short, I'd definitely recommend a handstop placed at the muzzle end of the rail.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:55:58 AM EDT
[#4]
ran mine with a 3.5" and a 4" barrel for years.  no problems at all....
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted: People run 9mm pistols with 3" barrels all the time.

WOW!

Perhaps I should state that I was referring to other than AR pistols.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#6]
It seems a personal preference, but I'm doubtful of the merits of going that short; finding room for the support hand, loss of velocity,and having that little barrel on what is still a fairly bulky weapon.
The original sub-guns were 10.5, and that's the route I'm going to follow.  YMMV.
I'm assuming SBR; even as an AR pistol, there's a lot of bulk involved.  If I'm going that short on a nine, I'd rather have a Kimber Solo...
Moon
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 7.5 and for me its the ideal length for both velocity and compactness. Plus there is just enough rail for a light and a small VFG.Having said that, you should be GTG with 5.  I dont really see any reason to go to below 5. Even with a supressor 5 -10  inches makes for a very compact weapon.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 6:05:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a 5" Upper for my 9mm AR.  It works just fine, but the barrel is short enough that I have to keep a fake can (until the paperwork comes back for the real one) on it to avoid having my hand right under the muzzle when shooting.  I have a Spike's BAR handguard that is longer than the barrel, so having my hand slip in front of the muzzle is not an issue.  I think if I wasn't planning on a can at all, I'd go longer than 5".
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 6:07:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Considering a 5" barrel upper, flash hider installed, no can...do you see any problems (functional not legal)?

Not trying to be a cockbag, but why not just employ a pistol instead...if you're going to cut your barrel down THAT short...
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 6:55:30 AM EDT
[#10]
why not just employ a pistol instead...if you're going to cut your barrel down THAT short.

Fair comment. Another concern is the support hand issue...sending a Gold Dot JHP through my wrist would put a damper on the weekend.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Depends what you want it for, yes a pistol/hand gun is shorter or handier, but I can't slap my glock upper on my M16 lower, so I have a 4.75" with a pistol float tube, with hand stop, for a really short 9MM M16, I also have a 4.5" under a KAC FF M4 RAS that I use with a GenTech Multi Mount suppressor, when the can is removed I use a 5.5 flash hider to clear the handguard. I keep the 4.75" on a pistol lower when not on the M16 (M16 usually has a 4.5" 22lr under a KAC FF M4 RAS  with a Liberty Kodiak suppressor)

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
why not just employ a pistol instead...if you're going to cut your barrel down THAT short.

Fair comment. Another concern is the support hand issue...sending a Gold Dot JHP through my wrist would put a damper on the weekend.

I find that a vg gives all the grip I need to keep from ventilating my left hand.  With the can on it, there is no chance.  9mm velocity is less sensitive to change in barrel length than .223.  That faster burning pistol powder doesn't benefit as much from longer barrels like the slower burning stuff.  

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find that a vg gives all the grip I need to keep from ventilating my left hand.  With the can on it, there is no chance.  9mm velocity is less sensitive to change in barrel length than .223.  That faster burning pistol powder doesn't benefit as much from longer barrels like the slower burning stuff.  

Not to mention most of the 9mm rigs are blow back.  8" is about as fast as I can get 9mm to go in a blow back AR.  5" with a suppressor is "perfect" for this rig in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice flip-up sights on the 5" rig. Anybody know what brand?
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nice flip-up sights on the 5" rig. Anybody know what brand?

The sights are Troy.  The barrel length is actually 5.5", and there is a TROS 3-lug adapter on it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 5:01:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a 5.5" barrel on my 9mm SBR, it works perfectly for the setup I've got.

With the 9" rail, I can't really run the gun without the can, but I'm fine with that. It's a sub-gun can (no booster), so it is dedicated to this gun anyway.

I really need to get some new pictures. I've changed a bunch on this gun since these pics.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 8:48:05 PM EDT
[#17]
5" Adco barrel and YHM pistol rail.  The handstop is optional... i'm happy with it either way.

Link Posted: 7/8/2012 4:06:17 AM EDT
[#18]
My SBR with 5" barrel and fake (for the moment) can.

Link Posted: 7/9/2012 8:53:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Landric, I've asked you some Q's already about your build as I'm think of something very similar.  Have you shot the gun much?  How is the 5" barrel @ 25 & 50 yards?  Thanks, Chris.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not trying to be a cockbag, but why not just employ a pistol instead...if you're going to cut your barrel down THAT short...

What kind of velocity increases do you think are coming out of a 16" barrel on a blow back 9mm?

Someone with a chronograph, please shoot your AR over the chronograph and a pistol side by side.  The results may surprise you.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Ballistics by the Inch

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ballistics by the Inch

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/

That's great, if you are shooting a bolt action or another locking breech action.  Shoot your 16" blow back over a chronograph back to back with a 9mm pistol.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have my barrel that short so that the gun is still a reasonable length with a can attached. My 9mm SBR with the can attached is roughly the same length as a 12" barreled SBR with no can. It's also got a better sighting system than a pistol, it's a more stable platform than a pistol and it has higher capacity magazines than my 9mm pistols.

There are all sorts of reasons to go "that short" with a 9mm AR instead of just employing a pistol.

Link Posted: 7/9/2012 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp38/tejota_2008/9mm.jpg

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp38/tejota_2008/9mm-can.jpg

Is that a raptor 9mm or .40 can w/ a different piston.  I ask because I have a .40 raptor in transfer and want to use it on my k, and was curious how you like the function/sound level/etc. of it.

Link Posted: 7/9/2012 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp38/tejota_2008/9mm.jpg

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp38/tejota_2008/9mm-can.jpg

Is that a raptor 9mm or .40 can w/ a different piston.  I ask because I have a .40 raptor in transfer and want to use it on my k, and was curious how you like the function/sound level/etc. of it.

It's a Trident with a 3lug.  Sounds like a nail gun with 147g.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 6:22:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a 5" Upper for my 9mm AR.  It works just fine, but the barrel is short enough that I have to keep a fake can (until the paperwork comes back for the real one) on it to avoid having my hand right under the muzzle when shooting.  I have a Spike's BAR handguard that is longer than the barrel, so having my hand slip in front of the muzzle is not an issue.  I think if I wasn't planning on a can at all, I'd go longer than 5".

What fake can do you have on it?
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top