Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/5/2014 4:11:34 PM EDT
I do not own, nor have I built an AR, and am getting the itch.  Was thinking about building an AR pistol with a Sig brace, 9mm.  Mostly would be for shooting, some for HD.  Was thinking of using a CMMG dedicated lower, a PSA blem stripped upper, a CMMG bolt and carrier, a 10.5 or 11.5 barrel (maybe Model 1 Sales?)  Magpul MOE fore end, and a KAK sb15 buffer tube.  Thoughts?  I'm a poor paramedic and am trying to keep this low budget, but quality, as possible
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds good.  I believe green mountain had some budget 10.5" barrels.  Macon armory can also make you a custom barrel at a good price.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Are there many that come with a front sight.  The only one I've found is the Model 1
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Finished my build and added a SWFA 1-6 and can't wait to sight her in. Prior to this optic I had red dot, extremely fun to shoot! Here's a little motivation

DDLES Glock 9mm lower
Geissele trigger
Spikes Billet upper
AAC Tirant suppressor

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#4]
My son had an AR in 9mm and it was OK but he was later thinking that for the size of the gun why not have the longer range ammo.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 10:26:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's my 9mm PDW.....I used a green mountain 10.5" barrel cut down to 8.5" and added a 3 lug adaptor. I have over 5,000 rounds down the pipe now.

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:55:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I built a DDLES based 9mm AR - one that uses Glock Magazines.  It's cool, but it's not terribly reliable.  I've had nothing but problems with the bolt-hold open.  Sometimes it locks back with the last round in the magazine.  When I use the 33 round "fun sticks" - magazine tension is too high and the gun locks back on first couple of shots.  

After all the crap with Jon Beaudry, waiting for the SBR tax stamp and another suppressor - I'm just over it.

If I were to do it all over again, I would sit on my wallet and save my bucks for a Sig MPX.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:25:17 AM EDT
[#7]
My Lone Wolf rocks. It will eat any ammo I feed it.

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:34:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are there many that come with a front sight.  The only one I've found is the Model 1
View Quote

RRA is the only other I can think of.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's an upper that I put together with a Green Mountain 10.5" barrel, an old slickside A1 upper and an ArmaLite clamp on FSB. I put a TROS 1/2x36 to 3 lug adapter on the end and use it with my Octane.

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I purchased the same barrel and got a chance to fire it today, great barrel at a great price IMHO
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I built a DDLES based 9mm AR - one that uses Glock Magazines.  It's cool, but it's not terribly reliable.  I've had nothing but problems with the bolt-hold open.  Sometimes it locks back with the last round in the magazine.  When I use the 33 round "fun sticks" - magazine tension is too high and the gun locks back on first couple of shots.
View Quote

I agree it was finicky with certain ammo and uppers. But once you work out the bugs it's one fun blaster. I have no issues at all.

Jon needs to sell his company and get out of the business asap...
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Would it be better to run a rail and BUIS?  What's a good budget rail for this project?
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Not to be snarky but I think the best rail for a budget is a spare rail that you already have laying around (that's what I used). But if you don't have anything laying around, the options are limitless (based on your budget)
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Where in Alabama is you....? If you can make it over to Macon one weekend....be glad to let you play with my collection and help you make a few decisions
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top