AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 11:18:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: swampvol] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 0uTkAsT:
Great thread!

I was about to pull the trigger on an 11.5, but now you've got me torn between doing a 12.5 instead
View Quote
Yeah, I'm surprised with the minimal gains of the 11.5 over the 10.5 with the SD loads.

It seems to really start out pacing the 10.5" with the higher velocity 5.56 ball ammo though.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:41:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CountryGuy] [#2]
The following is a link from AR15.com in the ammo section from the excellent, extremely informative larger article of "Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo"- using velocity data and gelatin performance.  I am only going to reference the first test which is an excellent reference of bullet performance for 8", 14.5" and 20" barreled 223 caliber bullets using the 556 Black Hills 50 grain TSX cartridge.  The results can't be used to extrapolate to other cartridges and I have no intention of using a lightweight bullet for my purposes.  The reference simply shows the terminal performance of this one cartridge.  However, it is interesting to look at the various bullet types, weights and velocities compared to their gelatin performance in the rest of this link.  And other extremely informative data from the larger article one can compare between handguns and long guns and various calibers in gelatin.

Gelatin tests

Note the velocity of the 8" barrel is 2634 FPS and the 20" barrel is 3205 FPS- a large difference.  Also note the bullet gelatin performance of the two cartridges are very similar with the 20" barreled bullet only penetrating ~ 0.5" deeper (both well into the sweet spot of penetration) and having a larger stretch cavity with both bullets retaining most of their initial weight.

It is also interesting to me to compare handguns vs. long guns in the scope of self defense at CQB ranges.  Following is a link from the same larger article noted above.

Terminal Ballistics
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I can tell, the main thing with longer barrels is you get to maintain that critical expansion or fragmentation threshold over a longer distance.

You don't really see much difference as long as you are above the critical threshold.

I'm no expert on the matter, just analyzing lots of data.

PS: Major thanks to the OP for doing this test.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#4]
This is AMAZING DATA!!!! Thank you for putting this together!!!
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By CountryGuy:
There is the light and fast bullet crowd and the slow and heavy bullet crowd, with others in between.  Velocity is not the only important item to consider in bullet performance.  I go from one side to the other depending upon circumstances- typically driven by research of suspected/proven bullet terminal performance and accuracy for the task I have tailored each particular weapon to.  Velocity at a particular distance is just one component of the equation.

My first AR purchase was a Bushmaster 16" pencil barrel back in 2003.  My 10.5" is a recent build and has quickly become my favorite for MY uses, as a quick access, quick pointing all around defensive gun and my primary go to long gun; it is my truck gun (after the revolver.)  It has a Meprolight RDS that is always ready to go, so the usage and parts match the purpose.  It is a short range piece- out to 110 yards.  And of course the shorter barrel has less velocity and less bullet terminal performance at distance, which is why I limit it to 110 yards for my purposes.  Since I built and tested the pistol with tested accuracy as good as my BCM CHF 16" at my distances, I have gotten to the point I see little purpose for my 16" barrels with their reduced velocity.  With experience, if I had things to do over, I would have a 18" or 20" barrel for longer distances from a static position- which is not a priority of mine, and my 10.5" barrel as the primary, short range piece it has become.

I am using GD 55s for my 10.5" for bonded core performance with IMI OTM 77 as secondary.  I have chronoed each, among others and fired for accuracy.  Speer's statement on their LE web site concerning their 223 Gold Dots:  "...Gold Dot rifle bullets are optimized to ensure expansion out of barrels down to 10" at a wide variety of velocities out to 200 yards..."  But they do not state what the velocities are.  I am more conservative on the velocity vs. terminal performance and consider my 10.5" as a 110 yard gun, which is where the velocity drops to 2200 FPS- my minimum standard for GDs and 77 grain Sierra OTM types.  With a 50 yard zero and GD 55s or IMI OTM 77s, point-blank-range (P-B-R) is -2" at 10 yards to +1.25" at 110 yards from the point of aim.  With -+2" at 210 yards. -+2" is exactly what I require as a maximum variation. 

I am using GD 75s for my 16" as a 150 yard gun for the bullet weight and bonded core performance- again as the bullet velocity drops to 2200 FPS.  And GD 55s and IMI OTM 77s out to 200 yards.  P-B-R with GD 55 and IMI OTM 77 is -2" at 10 yards to +1.8" at 135 yards to -1.6" at 200 yards.  For the GD 75 it is -2" at 10 yards to +1.2" at 110 yards to -1.6" at 200 yards.  However, its velocity drops to 2200 FPS at 150 yards.

I do wish Speer would increase the 223 GD velocities.  But there is a potential down side to velocity increases.  In a bonded bullet, increased velocity most likely will cause increased expansion in tissue earlier and cause decreased penetration at shorter distances.  While increasing velocity on an OTM bullet type can cause increased fragmentation earlier and decreased penetration in flesh at shorter distances.  To me it is all a balance of terminal distance and material vs. terminal velocity, bullet construction and impact point, along with momentum for penetration depth.  Velocity is not the do all, end all.

I do hand load hand gun ammunition but quit hand loading defensive bullets since I can't get my hands on flash suppressed powder.  I will start loading 556 this winter when I have time and do have all of the components and equipment to do so, but probably not for defensive purposes.
View Quote
Makes a lot of sense. Thank you!  I'll keep the 75 GD's because I have them but as I said I'm going to start reloading so I have to figure out which bullet I want to use to start pumping out a comparable round to those you tested. I'm a complete reloading noob so I'm guessing it'll take a while.

My plan is to make 80% of my reloads cheaper plinking and 20% high end loads. But I'll start another thread. Don't want to derail this one.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Very diligent work.  Thanks for sharing.

Two comments.  The 62 grain Barnes TSK shows great velocity and more than 55 graiin.  Was 55 grain ammo 223 or 556 pressure?  I cant tell from photo of boxes you tested.  (Impressive).  

On trajectory, the 62 grain Fusion G1 BC is probably un-realsticaly high compared to other 62 grain bullets.  It was higher than pointed M855.  TSX BC probably alot more in line with small, flat meplat,  

Great work none the less!!
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By QCB:
Very diligent work.  Thanks for sharing.

Two comments.  The 62 grain Barnes TSK shows great velocity and more than 55 graiin.  Was 55 grain ammo 223 or 556 pressure?  I cant tell from photo of boxes you tested.  (Impressive).  

On trajectory, the 62 grain Fusion G1 BC is probably un-realsticaly high compared to other 62 grain bullets.  It was higher than pointed M855.  TSX BC probably alot more in line with small, flat meplat,  

Great work none the less!!
View Quote
The Barnes 55gr TSX load is a .223 load vs the 5.56 for 62gr & 70gr. The 55gr TSX bullet is also a flat base vs boat tail for the 62 & 70 versions. FB vs BT doesn't matter for muzzle velocity as much as for terminal performance down range.

The Fusion MSR BC is Federal's number from their website. We all know that a manufacturer would NEVER embellish a number like this to show better performance, right? I'm not saying they did or didn't, but it is a possibility.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:50:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sao] [#8]
First, thank you for the testing! Always wondered FPS w/ can for 10.5 and 11.5 AR would be.

Anyone have any ballistic data on the Fusion MSR 62? I know we assume it's a clone of the Speer Golddot 64.  But do we have any testing? How does it do in auto glass, etc...?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:05:52 PM EDT
[#9]
@ Eagle_19er

What change if any does the suppressor on the 10.5" bbl velocity data have vs. an unsurpressed 10.5" bbl?

Thank you
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:21:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Storm_Tracker:
@ Eagle_19er

What change if any does the suppressor on the 10.5" bbl velocity data have vs. an unsurpressed 10.5" bbl?

Thank you
View Quote
You gain 1-2% velocity with a suppressor, but usually closer to 1%. I haven't done any formal testing of it but it's held true through the few loads I've tried both ways on the same day.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:12:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Eagle_19er:

You gain 1-2% velocity with a suppressor, but usually closer to 1%. I haven't done any formal testing of it but it's held true through the few loads I've tried both ways on the same day.
View Quote
So with a theoretical 2,500 fps I would expect about 25 to 50 fps slower without suppresor. Am i understanding you correctly?

And thank you again for your hard work and answering our questions.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:02:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Storm_Tracker:

So with a theoretical 2,500 fps I would expect about 25 to 50 fps slower without suppresor. Am i understanding you correctly?

And thank you again for your hard work and answering our questions.
View Quote
You're very welcome and theoretically, yes your example is correct. Every barrel is different though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 1:44:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Damn fine work here OP!

Definitely got this puppy sub'd for future reference.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:02:03 AM EDT
[#14]
There's a newish post on TOS where the 5.56mm 62gr TSX were tested with both the Barnes Vor-TX and Black Hills loadings. The numbers were extremely close to what you posted in the OP, which offers some confirmation as well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:00:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:
There's a newish post on TOS where the 5.56mm 62gr TSX were tested with both the Barnes Vor-TX and Black Hills loadings. The numbers were extremely close to what you posted in the OP, which offers some confirmation as well.
View Quote
Link please.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:44:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I thought it was considered bad form and frowned upon to provide links to TOS?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I thought it was considered bad form and frowned upon to provide links to TOS?
View Quote
You may be correct.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#18]
And there you have it folks 12.5 is better than 11.5 .  All you 11.5 goobers best go ditch your backwater barrels and get with the real master length SBR.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:28:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: inkaybee] [#19]
Great work op. Thanks!

Now having said that, I think people should avoid nit picking this data.

Using an oehler 3 screen chronograph I clocked 64 grain gold dot at 2400 fsp out of my 9 inch sig. While fusion MSR 62 gr was going 2250.

My point is there are probably lot to lot variations that make finding the perfect round impossible.

Get any of the proven performers and go for it and don't worry too much.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I did a quick look thru the posts and didn't see this mentioned. In the tests the 12.5 always had higher velocity, except for the PPU 55 gr. It shows 2776 in the 12.5 and 2821 in the 11.5.  Is this correct?
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:00:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By KnifeCollector:
I did a quick look thru the posts and didn't see this mentioned. In the tests the 12.5 always had higher velocity, except for the PPU 55 gr. It shows 2776 in the 12.5 and 2821 in the 11.5.  Is this correct?
View Quote
Look at this test from 2012, it definitely seems plausible to me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Look at this test from 2012, it definitely seems plausible to me.
View Quote
Interesting, thanks for the link to that test.

I'm not a ballistics expert so I can't reasonably account for the anomalous drop in the PPU load between those barrel lengths. It very well could be a combination of factors but I can confirm that I tried to get the variables as close to the same as possible for all the testing. Anything else would have been a massive wasted effort.

For whatever reason the PPU did actually drop in my barrel for that test. (The data was/is correct).
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:43:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#23]
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 6:17:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Also, remember testing with a suppressor will be a little different too. And that different suppressors will have different results.

One other thing that nobody talks about, gas port size and location as well as the quality of the gas seal in the barrel all will impact velocity.

Want proof? Check out the Superlative Arms gas block chrono test on YouTube. Changing the gas block from restrict mode to vent mode made a noticeable impact on velocity.

My gut tells me that rifling twist rate may have a very slight impact too. Just because a faster twist will have more friction in the barrel than a slow twist. But I have no proof of that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:09:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#26]
how did i miss this? wow, great stuff eagle.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By mr_h:
how did i miss this? wow, great stuff eagle.
View Quote
Thanks brother. It was fun shooting the tests!
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Wow, what a test.  My extremely over-analytical mind loves stuff like this, gonna keep me busy for hours

A big thank you to the OP.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:05:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Would you be willing to add this to your chart?
https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/collections/ammunition/products/556-62gr-federal-tactical-bonded-100rds-xm556sbct3
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Speer used to load the Gold Dots to 5.56 velocity for those who may not be aware.
I still have box of the 55gr 5.56 actually.

I dont think we ever got a 100% answer, but I believe they went to .223 for better accuracy, and they already have the low expansion threshold.
Another theory is that it was a liability concern. Not wanting issues with 5.56 in .223 guns.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:45:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: swampvol] [#31]
Originally Posted By Saddlerocker:
Another theory is that it was a liability concern. Not wanting issues with 5.56 in .223 guns.
View Quote
If this was the case, I sure wish they'd just stamped the box in big black letters: 'NOT FOR USE IN .223 CHAMBERED RIFLES.'
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By swampvol:
If this was the case, I sure wish they'd just stamped the box in big black letters: 'NOT FOR USE IN .223 CHAMBERED RIFLES.'
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By swampvol:
Originally Posted By Saddlerocker:
Unfortunately, this is exactly the reason I've heard they discontinued the 5.56.

I may or may not have pulled the projectiles on a couple boxes of the .233 version and given them a little "bump" in velocity*....for science. 

*I do not recommend anyone do this. As with reloading any other projectile/powder/primer combo, Iwas carefully watching for pressure signs. Don't blow your face off. 
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By mitsuman47:
Unfortunately, this is exactly the reason I've heard they discontinued the 5.56.

I may or may not have pulled the projectiles on a couple boxes of the .233 version and given them a little "bump" in velocity*....for science. 

*I do not recommend anyone do this. As with reloading any other projectile/powder/primer combo, Iwas carefully watching for pressure signs. Don't blow your face off. 
View Quote
Yes, please don't do this unless you KNOW what you're doing, and even then be extremely careful.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes, please don't do this unless you KNOW what you're doing, and even then be extremely careful.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mitsuman47:

I should also add that it really wasn't worth it. I ran into pressure signs pretty quick (granted it was almost 100°f that day). I was only able to add about another 90fps. These projectiles expand to such a low velocity anyway. My 10.5" with the 223 load is already expanding at nearly 240 yards.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#35]
OP can you enlighten me on how you are adjusting the gas block on the 11.5?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:05:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eagle_19er] [#36]
Originally Posted By BigMan74:
OP can you enlighten me on how you are adjusting the gas block on the 11.5?
View Quote
What exactly are you asking for? It's an SLR Sentry. I had it set to position 9 or 10 (don't quite remember honestly) and it cycled all the rounds tested. Some were a bit gassier than others.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#37]

What exactly are you asking for? It's an SLR Sentry. I had it set to position 9 or 10 (don't quite remember honestly) and it cycled all the rounds tested. Some were a bit gassier than others.
View Quote
PM sent
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Great thread.

As someone with a KAC SR-15 CQB (which has an 11.5" barrel) in NFA jail right now it is relevant to my interests.

This is good data for anyone debating the 10.5/11.5 + full can vs 14.5 + mini can options.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:51:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By CountryGuy:
OP:  Yours and my chrono results out of 10.5" barrels have really made me take a hard look at my initial primary and secondary ammunition stock for the short barrel 556.  Your Federal Fusion MSR 62 grain results provide 881 ft. pounds of energy and my Speer GD 55 grain results provide 833 ft. pounds of energy.  Not a lot of difference but in the case of short barrels and some distance- maybe enough, depending.  Online pricing for the Fusion MSR is ~ $1/round plus shipping and I typically purchase no less than 400 rounds of any 223 defensive type ammunition at a time and usually more if I need to test something new- like the Fusion MSR 62 grain, in this case. 

I feel comfortable Fusion MSR will chronograph similarly in my 10.5" barrel as in yours with the results we both have.   My 556 stamped barrels that have been measured and reamed as required to 556 specs, like any quality ammunition I have fed them and shoot reasonably small groups of everything- meaning they are more accurate than I.  Have you compared how the Fusion MSR group on paper vs. 55 grain Gold Dots or anything else?

Since a short barrel firearm is typically for shorter ranges, and in my case 50 yards - 75 yards, I am rearranging my short barrel ammunition stock from 75/77 grains as primary to the GD 55 grain as primary until I can find a good sale on Fusion MSR and test.  Alternatively, I will be comfy with my GD 55s in this case.  For the 16" carbine, my testing confirmed 75 grain GDs and 77 gr. IMI OTM as my primary choices.

Again, great job.  Your data have confirmed my suspicions about a lot of the ammunition I have not purchased/tested and your data will be in my library :-)
View Quote
Right now CTD and target sports have the Fusion MSR for $16 per box of 20 and free shipping for orders over $50 in the case of CTD
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 11:49:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Anyone running a lot of the Barnes 70gr TSX or any other TSX loads?

Is the copper fouling as bad as some people claim?
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 11:53:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By 762AR25:
Anyone running a lot of the Barnes 70gr TSX or any other TSX loads?

Is the copper fouling as bad as some people claim?
View Quote
Not in 5.56. I shooter a fair amount of 110gr .300 Blackout TAC-TX and haven't noticed any issues though.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Great thread!

1. Bump so this stays on the first page as the information available should be read by all visiting this subforum.

2. The data makes me feel good about going with a 12.75" barrel and pairing it with 55 gr Gold Dots.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Joker1713:
Great thread!

1. Bump so this stays on the first page as the information available should be read by all visiting this subforum.

2. The data makes me feel good about going with a 12.75" barrel and pairing it with 55 gr Gold Dots.
View Quote
First, I want to say thank you to the OP again.

Second, where did you get a 12.75"? I want to hear more.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 2:40:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Joker1713] [#44]

First, I want to say thank you to the OP again.

Second, where did you get a 12.75"? I want to hear more.
View Quote
PWS Mk112.  It has a 1/8 twist, 223 Wylde chamber with a 12.75" barrel.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Thank you for all the work and effort you put into getting this data!
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:43:58 AM EDT
[#46]
View Quote
Was it Molon’s work?
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 7:15:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By urbankaos04:

Was it Molon’s work?
View Quote
Nah, some random guy with a chrono. But the results more or less match up.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Any updates with the newer Speer 62gr Gold Dot?  I’m curious to see 10.5” muzzle velocity.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By BMad316:
Any updates with the newer Speer 62gr Gold Dot?  I’m curious to see 10.5” muzzle velocity.
View Quote
I've got a box of 62gr and a spare box of 64gr to put up against each other head to head. Just need to find the time to get out there.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#50]

I've got a box of 62gr and a spare box of 64gr to put up against each other head to head. Just need to find the time to get out there.
View Quote
I can relate, looking forward to seeing the results... and how the hell is this not a sticky?  This is one of the most informative and useful threads on arfcom...
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top