Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/17/2013 6:38:24 AM EDT
Newbee here....just getting into Ar fever. Hear about green followers and tan followers etc. was just wondering why all the different colors and what is the difference. Any links or info would be greatly appreciated. Wanting to learn all I can about these....Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#1]
In USGI mags, both colors are used, but by different manufacturers. Also, the tan followers are designed differently and have more anti-tilt properties. Center Industries, for example, uses the tan followers, while Colt uses green followers. There are lots of civilian mags out now that have followers in many colors, and all that I have seen use the anti-tilt design, mostly with Magpul followers. There is nothing wrong with using surplus USGI mags with green followers however. I have some that are so old and used they no longer have any dry film lube left on them, but they function 100%. Nowadays, the follower color is really just a matter of choice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I now prefer light colored followers, if you have a jam, or whatever, you can rotate the AR, and look into the ejection port - and if you see your whole follower, then you are out.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Newbee here....just getting into Ar fever. Hear about green followers and tan followers etc. was just wondering why all the different colors and what is the difference. Any links or info would be greatly appreciated. Wanting to learn all I can about these....Thanks!

http://peosoldier.armylive.dodlive.mil/2009/12/14/armys-improved-magazine-increases-weapons-reliability-tan-is-the-plan-for-the-new-magazine/

(Only applies to USGI followers, not after-market followers like Magpul and C-Products.)

Link Posted: 4/18/2013 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#4]
If you find GI mags dont go nuts on older ones with the black followers, they tilt way to easy. The Marine Corps now is phasing out the green followers for the tan followers. This is only for the military mags, i cant speak for everything else.

The Marine Corps magazines followers went from black < green < tan. Black being the oldest and tan being the most recent.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 6:48:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Remember; "tan-is the plan, green-start to lean, black-take it back."
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I was a flight armorer at my squadron for a couple years and worked pretty closely with the CATM guys.  There IS a difference between them.  The black follower mags and some green were used as range mags to be used on qual days.  

You WILL see more malfunctions with the green followers, and you will see A LOT more malfunctions with the black followers than you will with the tan followers or Magpul followers.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I remember seeing magpul followers in bulk for $1.29 somewhere, but I can't remember exactly where....Any help?
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 4:52:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you find GI mags dont go nuts on older ones with the black followers, they tilt way to easy. The Marine Corps now is phasing out the green followers for the tan followers. This is only for the military mags, i cant speak for everything else.

The Marine Corps magazines followers went from black < green < tan. Black being the oldest and tan being the most recent.

All branches are changing to the tan because it is easier to see when coming off the range to verify the weapon is clear.

Link Posted: 4/30/2013 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

All branches are changing to the tan because it is easier to see when coming off the range to verify the weapon is clear.

Never heard this before, you dont clear a weapon based on if you can see the follower, weapon is clear when the mag is dropped and chamber is visually inspected
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Take a magazine with the Tan follower apart and then take one with a green or black follower apart. It has nothing to do with ensuring servicemen are cleared on a range, maybe its visually easier to see but since when does the military only do a quick visual chamber check, I think close to never. The whole design is different, the tan has 2 longer extension on opposing ends compared to green for example only has 1 extension with a small nub near the center.
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 6:11:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Asians generally have more money to bring into the cult. So yellow followers are my favorite.

Sorry must have clicked on new threads thought I was still in gd, my apologies.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't clear a military m4 with a mag still in it. The reason for the change is the anti tilt capabilities of the tan follower.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Magpul does many things right, but one thing they always do right and color has no bearing is build AR mag followers.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the yellow and/or orange Magpul followers myself.  High visibility for chamber checks when you think you're out of ammo, and they are reliable when compared to green/black USGI followers.
Link Posted: 6/2/2013 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In USGI mags, both colors are used, but by different manufacturers. Also, the tan followers are designed differently and have more anti-tilt properties. Center Industries, for example, uses the tan followers, while Colt uses green followers. There are lots of civilian mags out now that have followers in many colors, and all that I have seen use the anti-tilt design, mostly with Magpul followers. There is nothing wrong with using surplus USGI mags with green followers however. I have some that are so old and used they no longer have any dry film lube left on them, but they function 100%. Nowadays, the follower color is really just a matter of choice.

I have some center Industries with a green followers brand new in the sealed plastic
Link Posted: 6/2/2013 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I now prefer light colored followers, if you have a jam, or whatever, you can rotate the AR, and look into the ejection port - and if you see your whole follower, then you are out.

If the weapon runs dry you can feel it. If it malfunctions, immediate action then remedial action if that doesn't work. you shouldn't have to look at it to fix it.

Yeah you may be on the range plinking, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it right.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top