Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Magpul TMAG (Page 4 of 5)
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Go watch @kongmfg video on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C_6ykhtMIUo/?igsh=MTltNG9rdjdnOTQ0dQ==

We drop tested a loaded one from chest height and it cracks down the spine...super disappointed,  was really looking forward to these, but they aren't nearly as strong as Pmags.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 10:26:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jhritz2000:

We drop tested a loaded one from chest height and it cracks down the spine...super disappointed,  was really looking forward to these, but they aren't nearly as strong as Pmags.
View Quote

I think I'll stick with M3 MCT windowed PMAGs for stacking deep.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#3]
@Justin-Beard
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm 100% a magpul fan, been a customer for almost 20 years. We use their products everyday at our business. I sell, use, and recommend magpul products to everyone. These Tmags were a huge let down. We were really looking forward to them. Got them in the mail today, opened them and immediately felt that they were not the same quality as Pmags. Loaded 30 rounds into it and dropped it, cracked first time...seriously disappointed.

Go watch the video, no tricks, no BS, straight out of the package. I know there's a ton of people out there spending their hard earned money on these (myself and my business included) , and im just trying to share our initial experience. Hadn't seen any testing on these, but the fact they failed from this was a let down for sure.  Just wanted to share.

Go watch the video, follow, stay tuned for updates, waiting for response from @magpul.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 3:19:30 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

Oof.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:36:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 14BoltFF:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/419235/crackedtmag_jpg-3322644.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 14BoltFF:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/419235/crackedtmag_jpg-3322644.JPG

Looks like that would likely continue to function 100%
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 7:35:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ThatGuyTheCooler:

Looks like that would likely continue to function 100%
View Quote

In this condition,  after one drop, I agree. I think it would still work. However, looking at the plastic and the way it flexes around the cracked area, I don't know if it would survive another drop, without splitting completely.

It's a far cry from what the Pmags can withstand, if anyone remembers the torture tests those went through back in the day.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:43:39 AM EDT
[#8]

In this condition,  after one drop, I agree. I think it would still work. However, looking at the plastic and the way it flexes around the cracked area, I don't know if it would survive another drop, without splitting completely.

It's a far cry from what the Pmags can withstand, if anyone remembers the torture tests those went through back in the day.
View Quote
if a pmag got an internal crack like that, would anyone even know?
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
View Quote
Sort of looks like it would be externally visible.  It will be interesting to see what Magpul has to say.  Either way I am still happy to have snagged some.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GoGo:
Sort of looks like it would be externally visible.  It will be interesting to see what Magpul has to say.  Either way I am still happy to have snagged some.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GoGo:
Originally Posted By mcantu:

Yeah it's not internal,  it's through to the outside.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#11]
So, someone explain to me again how MP TMags are superior to Lancer AWMs?  That’s a rhetorical question so don’t even bother.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#12]
It took 5 years of development and testing to approve these and they crack on the first drop?

Was this a one time thing or are they consistently cracking?
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Big-Bore:
So, someone explain to me again how MP TMags are superior to Lancer AWMs?  That’s a rhetorical question so don’t even bother.
View Quote

They probably function better. I say probably, because they haven't been out "very long", but we all know the geometry of Lancers is trash. I've had guns that they literally wouldn't feed a single round in that PMAGs ran like a sewing machine with. The best I can s ay is that when they were clean, Lancers worked okay in overgassed guns. Otherwise those stupid medal feed lips and bad feed angles contributed to a lot of less than stellar performance for me. I think people like them for the same reason they hate rich people. Magpul just became big enough to see themselves be everyone's friend or foe.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Mindfull:
It took 5 years of development and testing to approve these and they crack on the first drop?

View Quote

Not sure...just received ours. Haven't seen anyone else test them at all yet though...im sure once everyone gets them in hand and has a chance to use/abuse them, we'll find out.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Mindfull:

View Quote
lol, I'm not dropping mine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JohnDough:

They probably function better. I say probably, because they haven't been out "very long", but we all know the geometry of Lancers is trash. I've had guns that they literally wouldn't feed a single round in that PMAGs ran like a sewing machine with. The best I can s ay is that when they were clean, Lancers worked okay in overgassed guns. Otherwise those stupid medal feed lips and bad feed angles contributed to a lot of less than stellar performance for me. I think people like them for the same reason they hate rich people. Magpul just became big enough to see themselves be everyone's friend or foe.
View All Quotes

That’s a rhetorical question so don’t even bother.  You fan boys…
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:37:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Anecdotal at best but the 2 I bought I ran today in a match. I didn’t run over 100 rounds between the 2. However I did drop them on concrete, wood decks and gravel, they didn’t crack or explode. I didn’t have any malfunctions.  I did notice like someone else mentioned that fully loaded there was no give. So doubt it would seat on a closed bolt.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:44:31 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I've used it all and just prefer what works. I guess I'm a fan of stuff that works.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 7:41:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Marksman14] [#19]

View Quote

Then why post it?  There are plenty of known problems with lancers, and the feed geometry from their "superior" feed lips are one of the well known ones.

That being said, looking forward to magpul's assessment of some of the drops, and an explanation of exactly what testing these went through.

I have heard of standard PMAGs randomly cracking during drops, but it seems *exceedingly* rare.  I'm not surprised to see a TMAG do it, I just hope its uncommon and rare.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 7:47:49 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Maybe. When I was figuring out the right buffer weight for my 16" rifle gas dissipator I had much better results feeding with Lancers.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 4:51:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3-gun] [#21]
Got the t mags today. Kind of a smoke green color. Very smooth sides with gripping texture on front and back edges.
Dropped free empty from the AR but not the AUG. Will be next week before I can make a range trip.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I wonder why they went with slick sided as opposed to the standard ribbing that AR pmags have?
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 8:08:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#23]
Do they come with a cover/cap? Does a gen 3 cap fit them?
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By j3_:
View Quote

I do not believe so, on either account.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 50cal:
I wonder why they went with slick sided as opposed to the standard ribbing that AR pmags have?
View Quote

"NEW SLICK-SIDED DESIGN ENSURES VISIBILITY"
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 2:28:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 2:50:29 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

No they don't...

Yes they do...
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

I don't think any of the pmags shipped currently come with the cap are are being sold separately.    

Link Posted: 9/17/2024 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By JDatTOA:

I don't think any of the pmags shipped currently come with the cap are are being sold separately.    

View Quote

Never bought a gen three that it wasn't included. Have only bought a couple of forty's lately but they had them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

M3 come with dust covers.

Also available separately.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 1:15:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#31]
TMAG, Lancer Gen 1 and 2, M2 PMAG, KCI, and MFT tested.

I just skipped around but the first round of drop testing the TMAG feed lips spread and the M2 broke.

Lancer was the only magazine left standing that still fully functioned. The TMAG came in second but stopped feeding after a few rounds. All other mags were toast.

Translucent Magazine Torture Test!
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

View Quote

Negative.

Link Posted: 9/17/2024 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
TMAG, Lancer Gen 1 and 2, M2 PMAG, KCI, and MFT tested.

I just skipped around but the first round of drop testing the TMAG feed lips spread and the M2 broke.

Lancer was the only magazine left standing that still fully functioned. The TMAG came in second but stopped feeding after a few rounds. All other mags were toast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1EQeAdAv10
View Quote

Not a bad video.

Far worse than anything I'd do to my magazines, which is reassuring.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#34]

Negative.

https://i.ibb.co/y8Krx4b/IMG-1389.jpg
View Quote

What the fuck?? Chickenshit move Magpul.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 3:44:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#35]

Negative.

View All Quotes

Negative.

Yeah, you are correct.  Last Q 23 that stopped. I spaced that off.

Thanks for the reminder.

ETA:

Early '23, IIRC.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By AK-12:

What the fuck?? Chickenshit move Magpul.
View Quote

To be honest, the mags I use regularly, range etc. the covers end up in the bottom of my range bag, only to get lost.  The ones I did have on loaded mags eventually wouldn't stay on and would pop off.

Link Posted: 9/17/2024 5:17:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#37]
Well that's a shame. Always used the cover to tell which mags were full when I grabbed one out of the box at matches.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 7:17:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#39]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:

Not a bad video.

Far worse than anything I'd do to my magazines, which is reassuring.
View Quote

Yeah I’d say the only regular scenario was the drops. Coincidentally the Magpul’s were the only mags to fail the drop test with the M2 breaking and the TMAG binding the top rounds from the feed lips spreading and requiring an easy reseating.

There used to be a lot of talk of clear mags binding from dust and debris but they all did really well packed with crap too. Truth be told I’m mostly surprised with how good the cheaper mags actually did than anything.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Surprised regarding the M2 drops.

A few years ago (resulting from a discussion argument thread here ) , I did a simple cold weather drop testing with some loaded M2s.I don't recall the exact temp that day.

4 mags, drop distance of 6', in a garage/on a cement floor. Each mag dropped repeatedly (5+ repetitive drops, IIRC) directly on the floor plates.

Other than puking out the top 2-3 rounds there were no issues.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 9:38:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marksman14] [#41]
Surprised regarding the M2 drops.

A few years ago (resulting from a discussion argument thread here ) , I did a simple cold weather drop testing with some loaded M2s.I don't recall the exact temp that day.

4 mags, drop distance of 6', in a garage/on a cement floor. Each mag dropped repeatedly (5+ repetitive drops, IIRC) directly on the floor plates.

Other than puking out the top 2-3 rounds there were no issues.
View Quote

The blessing and the curse of these things.  

Unless you test 100 of them, I doubt you’d get any real data.

Sometimes in the molding process it seems there are irregularities that reveal themselves from time to time.

I too have done far worse to M2s than that, and have yet to personally break one.

As far as Magpul mags in general where the second round pops up a bit, I’ve seen that with regular loading with a Lula.

When I load them up, I always press them down with my finger and check that they are seated properly.  Not surprised at all to see that with a drop.  That being said, a firm seat into the lower will also correct it, but a slight push with the finger does it as well.

The TMAGS have the same loaded movement down as M3 mags, but I have noticed it’s a bit tougher to push them by hand or seat them.  Its almost like the clear plastic on the inside is a bit grippier on the brass than the originals.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#42]

The blessing and the curse of these things.  

Unless you test 100 of them, I doubt you’d get any real data.

View Quote

Quite true.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 2:14:55 AM EDT
[#43]
I got a few delivered today.
I’m wondering if the color is batch specific.  

I read one person say how they were surprised how green they were and another call them smoky green.  

The ones I got are more smokey gray with a tiny hue of green.  

I’m also in the surprised camp finding out in this thread that they stopped including the covers last year.  I guess the good news on that is I guess I haven’t bought any mags that I already didn’t need this year until these Tmags.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 2:38:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By naes:  I got a few delivered today.
I’m wondering if the color is batch specific.  

I read one person say how they were surprised how green they were and another call them smoky green.  

The ones I got are more smokey gray with a tiny hue of green.  

I’m also in the surprised camp finding out in this thread that they stopped including the covers last year.  I guess the good news on that is I guess I haven’t bought any mags that I already didn’t need this year until these Tmags.
View Quote

Bring one to Mesquite if you're going to come by, I'd like to see one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 3:10:33 AM EDT
[#45]
I don’t think I’ll make it to any shows until the one at the end of October.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#46]

Sometimes in the molding process it seems there are irregularities that reveal themselves from time to time.

View Quote

I bet this is exacerbated by the different suppliers they use.  Since they don't really make anything, I'm sure some batches from some suppliers are better than others.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 3:46:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DasRonin] [#47]

I bet this is exacerbated by the different suppliers they use.  Since they don't really make anything, I'm sure some batches from some suppliers are better than others.  
View All Quotes

Magpul farms out their production?????
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By DasRonin:

Magpul farms out their production?????
View Quote

No, they make them all in Cheyenne, WY at the Magpul facility.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#49]

No, they make them all in Cheyenne, WY at the Magpul facility.
View Quote

You can believe what you want, however I was told this by a very  high magpul employee at his ranch over dinner and drinks.  His explanation was that they have the ability to speed up or slow down volume as demand changes with out doing what DD or SCO did by building a giant facility, then having to lay people off in lean times.

Link Posted: 9/18/2024 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#50]

You can believe what you want, however I was told this by a very  high magpul employee at his ranch over dinner and drinks.  His explanation was that they have the ability to speed up or slow down volume as demand changes with out doing what DD or SCO did by building a giant facility, then having to lay people off in lean times.

View Quote

@JDatTOA
Am I understanding you correctly,  are you are saying magpul outsources their magazine production?
Page / 5
Magpul TMAG (Page 4 of 5)
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top