Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/30/2007 8:08:01 PM EDT
I've got a Bushmaster M4 with an A2 carry handle. Bought it years ago and wish i had gotten a flat top or A3 now that I really want to mount some optics.  I really want an Eotech 512 but not sure how well it would mount to the carry handle let alone look weird. Thought about a gooseneck mount but not sure how stable they are.  I'm looking for some help on configuration options and suggestions. Pics of A2 setups would be great as well.  I'm not looking to break the bank either. Budget of around $400.

Thanks!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i250/TBAG809/BadAssM4.jpg
Link Posted: 12/30/2007 11:20:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Below is a picture of mine with a TA01 ACOG on it.
I did have a gooseneck mount and a Bushnell holosight on it. Just did not look right but did co-witness with iron sights. It just looked way too cluttered and rigged with the gooseneck setup.
In my opinion flat tops look good with red dot, holosights or scopes on them. Carry handle's don't look right with large scopes or huge optics on them.
The Trijicon ACOG TA01 is a bit more than what you want to spend right now. Look around at the Equipment exchange here, Ebay or gunbroker and you might be able to pick a TA01 up for around $750 or less. It depends on how you use your rifle. I like to target shoot so my set up works nicely for me...furthest shot so far is 400 yards and very accurate.

Bushnell makes a acog clone: Bushnell Trophy

Here is a Colt carry handle scope : FACTORY COLT 4X20 scope

Not to talk you out of what you want...just some options.
Remember with optics you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 7:21:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've got a Bushmaster M4 with an A2 carry handle. Bought it years ago and wish i had gotten a flat top or A3 now that I really want to mount some optics.  I really want an Eotech 512 but not sure how well it would mount to the carry handle let alone look weird. Thought about a gooseneck mount but not sure how stable they are.  I'm looking for some help on configuration options and suggestions. Pics of A2 setups would be great as well.  I'm not looking to break the bank either. Budget of around $400.

Thanks!

i74.photobucket.com/albums/i250/TBAG809/BadAssM4.jpg

Do you want a scope or do you want a RDS?
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 7:32:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks a million James1058. I love those ACOG's but they are way out of budget for me.  The Colt or that ACOG clone might just work. My next question is how well do either of them hold zero? I had a $40 leapers that looked like that Colt scope. What a POS. Would hold zero for about 30 rounds. I agree you get what you pay for..........

I mainly target shoot as well but want something that will be functional in a SHTF situation. You never know when Zombie day is coming....lol
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 7:40:08 AM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Thanks!

i74.photobucket.com/albums/i250/TBAG809/BadAssM4.jpg

I was leaning towards an RDS but either will do. My options are open.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 8:14:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you want a new scope, I would give the 4x20 Burris a look see.  Nice and rugged.

If you want a used scope, give the 3x21 Israeli Army scopes a once over.  Very Retro.

As for RDS, there you have more options.  If you do not have the $$ for an Aimpoint, look at the Burris XTS-135.  This is nothing more then an improved TACPOINT, but I think that the glass lenses and waterproofing make it worth the extra $40-$50.  I think that it only has 200 hrs or so of battery life, so I would not turn it on and leave it on.

If you go for the Burris Scope, you can look the RDP-II in a SAR-1 mount and get a 4x scope and a RDS for ~$500 all in one. (to include Burris scope, carry handle mount, scope rings, RDP-II RDS and SAR-1 mount).

Imagine this is yours, but with the Burris Scope instead of the ACOG.

Let me know if I am way off base here.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

If you want a new scope, I would give the 4x20 Burris a look see.  Nice and rugged.

If you want a used scope, give the 3x21 Israeli Army scopes a once over.  Very Retro.

As for RDS, there you have more options.  If you do not have the $$ for an Aimpoint, look at the Burris XTS-135.  This is nothing more then an improved TACPOINT, but I think that the glass lenses and waterproofing make it worth the extra $40-$50.  I think that it only has 200 hrs or so of battery life, so I would not turn it on and leave it on.

If you go for the Burris Scope, you can look the RDP-II in a SAR-1 mount and get a 4x scope and a RDS for ~$500 all in one. (to include Burris scope, carry handle mount, scope rings, RDP-II RDS and SAR-1 mount).

Imagine this is yours, but with the Burris Scope instead of the ACOG.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/Scope%20Ring/RDP2.jpg

Let me know if I am way off base here.

Thanks RedFalconBill!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top