Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/8/2009 5:23:41 PM EDT
I've been looking at sights for a while now and i've been trying to determine what is the best thing for me to get.  I like red dot sights, but I also want to do some long range shooting.  I found the ATN over under for about $700$, which has the 3x scope for long range with the red dot on top of it for short range.  I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this sort of set up?  Also are there any other set ups like this where you would not have to take off your magnified scope to use a red dot site or something for short range?  I'm open to all opinions and Ideas.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an Aimpoint T-1 Micro mounted on a Daniel Defense offset mount and an ACOG in a standard mount. I like it a lot so far. You can maintain a nice cheekweld with both optics, unlike some of the "dot on top" setups.

Link Posted: 1/8/2009 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have an Aimpoint T-1 Micro mounted on a Daniel Defense offset mount and an ACOG in a standard mount. I like it a lot so far. You can maintain a nice cheekweld with both optics, unlike some of the "dot on top" setups.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/jnewman606/AR/arlay.jpg

Are you a lefty?
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#3]
No... it's mounted on that side so you rotate the rifle into your cheek to see through the red dot. You can rotate the rifle 45 degrees in comfortable but if you rotate it out the lower part of the stock sticks into your chest and you can't get a good cheek weld.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#4]
A canted red dot sight will always be on your strong side. It's much much easier to "chicken wing" it and have a good cheek weld than it is to bring your elbow across your chest.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 7:46:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Well that's a new set up to me.  I've never seen the offset rail mount.  Can most red dot sights be mounted like that.  Also, how hard is it to zero in when its mounted like that?
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Put my bipod on the opposite side and zero like normal since it's straight up and down.

Link Posted: 1/9/2009 3:23:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I just use a 1-4X optic and turn it to 1X for up close and 4X for long range shots.
Link Posted: 1/9/2009 3:48:13 AM EDT
[#8]

That's all you really need, no need to turn your rifle to the left or right just move your eye an inch.
Link Posted: 1/9/2009 3:55:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii328/bigcoastie/094.jpg

That's all you really need, no need to turn your rifle to the left or right just move your eye an inch.

That is a slick setup no doubt.  But you are limited to one brand, and 4X on the long side.  I have a scope that starts at 4.5X and goes to 30X.  My only option is an offset mount to get my red dot working.  I am thinking about the YHM angles mount.
Link Posted: 1/9/2009 4:38:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm not sold on the variable 1-4x scopes. When you have to take time to adjust it, you are wasting time. If you can just rotate the rifle a few degrees, it's much faster. That's why I went with the ACOG + T-1 side mounted option.
Link Posted: 1/9/2009 6:27:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

But when you do that, you lose your cheek weld, or at least change it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2009 7:06:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Very true for most people you just have to find out what you like.

Canting your rifle, moving your head, flipping up a magnifier or changing the power of your scope all have pros and cons.

Try some stuff out if possible. Buying an Acog and then adding the red dot, buying a red dot and then adding the magnifier, or even buying a millet dms and then getting the accupoint or short dot k-dot w/e or something similar are all options if you don't want to spend all of it up front.
Link Posted: 1/9/2009 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#14]
For that burris extreme tactical scope, Did you attach the red dot to the scope somehow or did you buy it already put together like that.  Because i went to big river tactical website and seen the red dot sight and scopes like you have, just seperate.
Link Posted: 1/9/2009 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/9/2009 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I really like the SAR line from TNVC, it looks like a very appealing option. I was just curious about the  dot sight mounted on the scope in the picture they have up here.  It looks like the sight is off to the side a little bit.  Is this true or does it just look like that in the picture.  If i bought one of these would i be able to mount it directly above the scope?
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 7:24:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok, then that is exactly what i'm looking for.  Thanks for all of the help everyone.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top