Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/4/2009 9:48:21 PM EDT
Hello all.  In my quest to find the best value in a low magnification scope I came across the Leupold turkey plex reticle on their 1-4x20 VX-I.

My research has shown that the reticle is designed to cover a turkeys head at 40 yards.  I'm thinking this may make a decent "tactical" reticle due to the circle.  Basically get your target inside of the circle to score a hit quick out to about 200 yards (my realistic max shooting distance) and then you also have the standard plex for more precise shots.  

Please let me know if my thinking is flawed.  I dont want to get stuck with a reticle thats a turkey (see what I did there ).
Link Posted: 5/5/2009 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I actually had the same thought. I've got one of the new Mark AR 1.5-4 scopes coming from the Custom Shop with that reticle. My thinking is that the circle will be easy to pick up for quick shots on close targets, while still retaining a fine crosshair for longer shots. I just ordered it a couple of weeks ago, so probably a couple of weeks to a month before it gets in. I've already got the rifle and the LaRue mount waiting on it. Watch this forum for a range report once I get it out to the range.

PS- I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 5/5/2009 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#2]
you can get that scope with the Double circle dot reticle. You just have to call them. It wouldnt be illuminated though.

Link Posted: 5/5/2009 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I looked at the circle dot, too. If I had gone illuminated, that probably would have been my choice. But for a non-illuminated scope, I couldn't pass up keeping that fine crosshair.
Link Posted: 5/5/2009 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.  I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with this thought.  I'm currently trying to determine the MOA of the circle.  In some pictures it looks larger than in other pictures.  Since its designed to encompass a turkey, "crown to wattles", at 40 yards, I think we can make an educated guess on the MOA of the circle.  The problem is, I don't hunt so I have no idea the distance from the crown to the wattles of an average turkey is (or even what the hell a crown and wattle is).  Once we figure that out, it should just be simple mathematics to guesstimate the MOA of the circle.  

Quoted:
I actually had the same thought. I've got one of the new Mark AR 1.5-4 scopes coming from the Custom Shop with that reticle. My thinking is that the circle will be easy to pick up for quick shots on close targets, while still retaining a fine crosshair for longer shots. I just ordered it a couple of weeks ago, so probably a couple of weeks to a month before it gets in. I've already got the rifle and the LaRue mount waiting on it. Watch this forum for a range report once I get it out to the range.

PS- I see what you did there.

I'm holding you to that.  I wont be placing an order for mine for at least a few months so I'll look forward to your review.

Link Posted: 5/5/2009 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm still trying to figure out the MOA of the circle in the reticle.  Googling "average length from crown to wattles of a turkey" doesnt come up with much .  I did however compare the Turkey Plex reticle to Leupold's Special Purpose reticle and the Turkey Plex circle is noticeably smaller (see pics below).  After the comparison, my concern is that it may be too small for our intended tactical purposes (making quick shots up close).  

It doesnt help that I do not know what the MOA of the circle is in the Special Purpose reticle to compare to the Turkey plex.  I tried googling and on Leupold's site... no dice.  Anyone know the MOA on the Special Purpose circle off hand?

Special Purpose:

Turkey:
Link Posted: 5/6/2009 2:34:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It doesnt help that I do not know what the MOA of the circle is in the Special Purpose reticle to compare to the Turkey plex.  I tried googling and on Leupold's site... no dice.  Anyone know the MOA on the Special Purpose circle off hand?

https://www2.leupold.com/resources/downloads/08_Special_purpose_reticle.pdf

"A large center circle of 10 mil diameter surrounds
a fine, .3 mil dot which is located at the intersection of the fine crosshair
and provides a quick point of acquisition."
Link Posted: 5/6/2009 6:52:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://www2.leupold.com/resources/downloads/08_Special_purpose_reticle.pdf

"A large center circle of 10 mil diameter surrounds
a fine, .3 mil dot which is located at the intersection of the fine crosshair
and provides a quick point of acquisition."

Awesome!  So a 10 mil circle would be 36 MOA, correct?  That would put the Turkey plex in the 18-20 MOA range based on the reticle picture comparison (in my eyes at least).  Thats pretty good for the intended purpose.  Better than I thought it would be, actually.      

Link Posted: 5/6/2009 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#8]
You could call Leupold and find out the subtension of the circle. I'll bet they know it, at least at max magnification. If I think about it once I get this thing to the range, I'll put up a (cheap) ruler (after I get it sighted in) and see what it subtends.
Link Posted: 5/6/2009 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If I think about it once I get this thing to the range, I'll put up a (cheap) ruler (after I get it sighted in) and see what it subtends.

Or you could try a target like this and save the ruler.

1" x 1" grid target

Link Posted: 5/6/2009 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#10]
a turkeys head isnt much bigger than a golf ball .
Link Posted: 5/6/2009 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You could call Leupold and find out the subtension of the circle. I'll bet they know it, at least at max magnification. If I think about it once I get this thing to the range, I'll put up a (cheap) ruler (after I get it sighted in) and see what it subtends.

Sent an email to Leupold.  I will let ya'all know what info I get back from them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2009 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I think about it once I get this thing to the range, I'll put up a (cheap) ruler (after I get it sighted in) and see what it subtends.

Or you could try a target like this and save the ruler.

1" x 1" grid target

How true. I didn't even think of that, and I have about 5 different variations of that target in my range folder. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/6/2009 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#13]
very similar to the old Simmons turkey scope that many 3-gunners used for awhile.
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Just got this from Sharon at Leupold.  Circle looks to be about 14.5 MOA at 4x.  How does this translate to 1x, 2x and 3x (would it be smaller or larger)?

Link Posted: 5/13/2009 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey nice info! Since my scope isn't in yet (called yesterday, they said it was in packaging, which means it should be shipping soon), you saved me some work. 4X on these scopes is actually 4.2, so there's where you start. At 100yds you're at 14.44 MOA (the 4 is repeating, so I'm rounding off). At 1X, which is actually 1.6X on these scopes, the circle will be smaller relative to the target at almost exactly 5.5 MOA. That's a nice size for quick, accurate shots with both eyes open.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 5:39:07 AM EDT
[#16]
if the 1x is actually 1.6 then that eliminates me from ever buying one cuz I want one I can use as a 1x scope.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 10:26:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
if the 1x is actually 1.6 then that eliminates me from ever buying one cuz I want one I can use as a 1x scope.

Another one of my concerns, to be honest.  I dont know how well you can do "both eyes open" shooting at 1.6x.  

I'm saving slowly but surely for mine so it will probably be another month or two before I can put down the money for it.  I will look forward to the review from obc when he receives his in the meantime.

Right now, I am also looking at the Konus M-30 1-4 and the Weaver V3.  I have heard good things about both and they are both sub $200 optics as well.  The Konus is really attracting me with etched glass, illumination, tac knobs and a 30mm tube for the same price as the Luepold.  It is longer and heavier (almost 2x the weight!), however.

I'm going to email Konus to try to find out if they can give me the exact magnification of their optic.  I doubt its 1x, but it could be closer than 1.6x.  I have heard that the weaver is pretty close to 1x and it is nearly identical to the Leupold in size and weight.  The Weaver only comes in a duplex, though.

Decisions, decisions...

Link Posted: 5/14/2009 11:10:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just got this from Sharon at Leupold.  Circle looks to be about 14.5 MOA at 4x.  How does this translate to 1x, 2x and 3x (would it be smaller or larger)?

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g256/z3rocoo1/TurkeyPlex.jpg

Larger.  58 MOA at 1X or 14.5 MOA/X.

Link Posted: 5/14/2009 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

FWIW, I don't have much trouble shooting the 4X (piece of crap 90's Tasco) on my lever gun, the 3-9 (VX-II) set on 3X on my 700, or the 4.5-14 (Mk IV) set on 4.5X on my (employer's) 700-P with both eyes open. Granted, none of the three are as fast as irons, but they're not slow, either. It just takes some getting used to. Honestly I don't think I'll even notice much on 1.6X.

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g256/z3rocoo1/TurkeyPlex.jpg

Larger.  58 MOA at 1X or 14.5 MOA/X.

Know what? He's right. I got my math backwards. I still think it will work great for drawing your eye to the aiming point, though.
Link Posted: 5/15/2009 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 6:56:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Scope arrived today. Might be able to get her to the range next Thursday at the earliest, but I should have a review up within a couple of weeks regardless.
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I just sold one of these on the EE. I never mounted it on my AR but had thought of using it for the purpose. The only thing that turned me off was the lack of parallax adjustment. It is pre set for 75 yards.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Range report up HERE!
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Range report up HERE!

And here

And here

And here

And here

And here

And here

Link Posted: 5/28/2009 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Man I can't catch a break. Took me an hour to make sure that post didn't sound like it was written by an idiot, then whatever goes wrong and it looks like it was posted by one! Oh well. Hopefully someone will get some use out of it amid the .

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top