Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/5/2010 5:52:20 PM EDT
I am considering mounting a TA33 to the carry handle on an A2, and was curious if there are any issues with this method of attaching the optic.  How solid would this setup be, and is it relatively repeatable?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#1]
plenty solid and repeatable, but very high over bore
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#2]
No real issues there other than the slightly greater divergence between line of sight and line of bore which shows itself to a greater degree at close- 10 yds and closer- range.  You'll have to hold higher by a couple to four inches to hit your desired point of impact depending on your zero.  It's as solid as anything else out there and you can also still use the irons without removing the tube.  It's not the slickest looking, whiz bang flat top arrangement that's all the rage these days but it works.  Drive on.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 6:01:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I knew the height over the bore would be a slight issue, but isn't really that big a deal considering the iron sights are right there to peep through.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 6:55:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget about your cheek weld in this equation.  The ACOG will be way up there.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#5]
It's up there but usable. BSW

Link Posted: 1/5/2010 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the pic.  

The aspect I like the most is the simple fact the iron sights are so readily accessible, and do not need to be "flipped up" as most rear sights do (due to the fact a rear sight clouds the view on the ACOG).  It seems like it would make close shots very easy with the iron sights, with the ACOG still there for the longer stuff.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I  have as ta33 mounted in an a2 right now on one of my rigs, and i dig it. i like having the irons right there and the ta33 is so small its really not that high over bore...maybe a half inch over irons to the center of the optic.
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 1:26:24 AM EDT
[#8]
If you're not bothered by the height over bore, I'd say your good to go.
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 7:13:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a compact 3X TA50-4 mounted on the carry handle. I drilled another mounting hole further to the rear to get proper eye relief. The compact sets lower and cheek weld is not a problem. I really like this setup. It is light and small. To switch from irons to scope I just raise my head about an inch and I'm  GTG.
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I used to have an AR-15A2 with a TA01 up on the carry handle.  I sold it all separately years ago to pay the mortgage, but still have the cheek piece I used, and you may be interested in buying it from me.  It's for an HK91 or 93 and is made of high-quality black nylon fabric with velcro wrap for attachment.  There is a firm padded "pillow" feature on top that allows you to get a good cheek weld to use the ACOG, but then will also move out of the way (push it over with your cheek) when you want to use the irons.  I had Trijicon irons and liked using them and found out the hard way that a solid "delta" type cheek piece would preclude this.  It may have been an actual HK part, but I've never seen another one like it and there is no manufacturer's tag on it.  A buddy of mine has it to sell at the gun show this weekend, but let me know if you're interested.  It definitely solved my high-up ACOG issue back in the day.

PM me if interested.

By the way, I have secretly (as far as the wife is concerned) built an LWRCI M6A3 over the last few years, so I'm not completely down and out on selling the AR:
http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz194/pcprosystems/01.jpg

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz194/pcprosystems/02.jpg

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz194/pcprosystems/06.jpg

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz194/pcprosystems/08.jpg

Chase
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#11]
my TA44 worked great for years on top of the CH
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top