Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/25/2011 2:17:10 PM EDT
I've just completed my Mk18 Mod 1 build and for the first time I can't decide on what optic I want to mount on this rifle, I've been thinking about it since the beginning of this build and I haven't made any progress. I've currently own several Aimpoints (M2s & M4s), one EoTech, and a Trijicon 1-4x all mounted on other battle rifles. For the Mk18 I believe the correct optics are the Eotech 553, or Elcan Specter DR Tan, however, I'm also fairly certain there are a bunch with Aimpoint M2/3s mounted.

I'm really leaning hard towards the Specter FDE, because I like that it's both 1x and 4x, can mount a RMR, has great battery life and will run without batteries. However, these same features are drawing me towards the Trijicon TA31ECOS. Then reality sinks in and I realize the rifle has a 10.5" barrel and therefore is limited to only a couple hundred yards and both optic's BDCs will be incorrect. At this point I start thinking about the correct 553 or the new EXPS Tan Eotech, but they don't have a great track record and aren't as light as the T1. I like the T1 except for I have at least 6 other aimpoints one of which is on a Mk18 Mod 0 build and I want something different. I've now come full circle back to the Specter or TA31ECOS.

Which would you put on a Mk18 Mod1, if it's not on my list please let me know what it is. The price needs to be <$2000.00 and I would prefer a military optic not something designed for 3 gun like the Swarovski Z6i.
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm sitting here with the same issue.  I put a T-1 on my Mod 1 and it just didn't look right.

I am leaning toward an Aimpoint M4 with a standard mount.  It's mil issued and doesn't have the EoTech issues.
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Double post
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the 553 on my MK18-ish build, but would like to someday switch to the Elcan DR whenever I've gathered enough pennies.

ETA: I used to have the T-1 and Comp M4 on it but swapped out for the 553 to be more "correct" to the build.  I'd have to say that the T-1 was probably my favorite optic in comparing the red dots though.

Link Posted: 6/28/2011 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 6/28/2011 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Elcan Spectr DR 1-4, that or the IOR Valdada Pitbull, both have 1-4x capability.  I will never recommend EoTech, my patrol issued rifle has an EoTech 552 and I have had to change the batteries on the thing atleast 3 times in 1yr, I usually turn it on when I'm working:) I keep it on my service issued weapon, because it was FREE for me, if I had a choice at something different, I'd jump on it.

The Aimpoint CompM4 2MOA dot with a 5x magnifier is another good choice.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top