Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/8/2012 9:00:41 PM EDT
So I'm thinking of getting the Leupold Mark 8 CQBSS with the H-27D reticle. Any one own one or have any thoughts? Anything similar I should be looking at? This will be going on my SCAR 17.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. For some reason that didn't come up in the search I did.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 4:00:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 1:18:42 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are spending that much, might as well check out these...

S&B

U.S. Optics

Premier has a 1-8x as well, and the IOR 1-10x.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 11:52:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks. I'll check those out as well.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#6]
At this point in time, while offering a good feature set, it is unproven for the price it demands.

As someone suggested earlier, go with an S&B or other tier one manufacturer for less.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I have two, I also have the 556 TMR version as well, I also own US Optics, and a S&B, that said the Mark 8 Horus is on my EMC, and I'm selling a couple USO's to get one for my SCAR, the 556 TMR reticled Mark 8 is on my REECE, and yes, they are being used in the military overseas, and from what I gather very well liked, to the point that certain changes have been made from user feed back.
ETA, if you can afford one, I highly reccomend it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have two, I also have the 556 TMR version as well, I also own US Optics, and a S&B, that said the Mark 8 Horus is on my EMC, and I'm selling a couple USO's to get one for my SCAR, the 556 TMR reticled Mark 8 is on my REECE, and yes, they are being used in the military overseas, and from what I gather very well liked, to the point that certain changes have been made from user feed back.

mstennes - Mind I ask what you are running for a mount for the CQBSS?  I would also be interested in what you think about running the TMR reticle on a SCAR17s..........

Thanks,
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 6:20:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

mstennes - Mind I ask what you are running for a mount for the CQBSS?  I would also be interested in what you think about running the TMR reticle on a SCAR17s..........

Thanks,

LaRue mounts, well I did run my TMR on my 17, for a bit, worked pretty good, I was going to call Leupold, and get a TMR 308 turret ring, I felt though it could work better on my REECE, I really like the Horus, just not the cost increase over the TMR, Iafter your bringing this up, I might have to revisit that combo, and see if Leupold makes a ring for it.

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 7:06:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Very nice. The CQBSS and LaRue mount is exactly the setup I was thinking about.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

LaRue mounts, well I did run my TMR on my 17, for a bit, worked pretty good, I was going to call Leupold, and get a TMR 308 turret ring, I felt though it could work better on my REECE, I really like the Horus, just not the cost increase over the TMR, Iafter your bringing this up, I might have to revisit that combo, and see if Leupold makes a ring for it.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/Scar17andMark8016.jpg
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/Scar17andMark8018.jpg
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/Scar17andMark8019.jpg
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/Scar17andMark8017.jpg
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/Scar17andMark8015.jpg

mstennes - awesome setup!  
The only thing that is really hanging me up on this scope is the non-day illumination with the TMR-M reticle. To me that kind of defeats the purpose of a 1.1-8X optic. If I had that I would drop the cash right away. I am sure the Horus is good with enough training behind it but for me it is just way to busy and clutters up the eye-box preventing me from seeing other targets, details, etc.  I find that it's hard getting everything you want all in one scope but this one comes pretty close.  I like that the TMR reticle, instead of dots spaced out every 1 Mil like a Mil-Dot reticle is broken down into .5 mil. So now you have a great hold over reticle. Easier and faster for ranging. However, the fact that the TMR reticle is not a closed cross, but a open box reticle does not lend its self to target shooting/paper punching maybe you can add some first hand imput on this. I am about 90% sold on the CQBSS for the price I can get it for as I would not pay the regular leupold MSRP and refuse to pay the $3K for a S&B 1-8X Short Dot. Waiting on Leoupld to get back to me on the cost and lead time of the additional BDC cams from the custom shop unless you know?

I also have to figure out what type of quick-detach mount to go with.  I was thinking the LaRue LT111 OBR QD as it looks solid and has 20 MOA built-in to the upper rail that will give you 11 mils with this base because it is flat on flat with zero cant as the scope itself is just 5 mils.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/Scar17andMark8016.jpg
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/Scar17andMark8018.jpg
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/Scar17andMark8019.jpg
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/Scar17andMark8017.jpg
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/Scar17andMark8015.jpg

mstennes - awesome setup!  
The only thing that is really hanging me up on this scope is the non-day illumination with the TMR-M reticle. To me that kind of defeats the purpose of a 1.1-8X optic. If I had that I would drop the cash right away. I am sure the Horus is good with enough training behind it but for me it is just way to busy and clutters up the eye-box preventing me from seeing other targets, details, etc.  I find that it's hard getting everything you want all in one scope but this one comes pretty close.  I like that the TMR reticle, instead of dots spaced out every 1 Mil like a Mil-Dot reticle is broken down into .5 mil. So now you have a great hold over reticle. Easier and faster for ranging. However, the fact that the TMR reticle is not a closed cross, but a open box reticle does not lend its self to target shooting/paper punching maybe you can add some first hand imput on this. I am about 90% sold on the CQBSS for the price I can get it for as I would not pay the regular leupold MSRP and refuse to pay the $3K for a S&B 1-8X Short Dot. Waiting on Leoupld to get back to me on the cost and lead time of the additional BDC cams from the custom shop unless you know?

I also have to figure out what type of quick-detach mount to go with.  I was thinking the LaRue LT111 OBR QD as it looks solid and has 20 MOA built-in to the upper rail that will give you 11 mils with this base because it is flat on flat with zero cant as the scope itself is just 5 mils.

Its hard to get them on lead times as it depends on work loads, what models their working at the time, I have called and gotten "in stock" BDC's in under a week, the longest was for a custom 6.8, which IIRC was about three weeks.  Best thing with Leupold, is call, skip the email, that can take from 2 days to a wekk for a reply, then the info is outdated anyway on lead times.  I also dont like the Horus (normally) but damn, its not bad on the Mark 8, I have sold Nightforces, as the Horus was just way to busy for me, The Horus on the Mark 8 does give you the cross hairs plus a small circle around it.  I tried to take a piscture of it, to post, but the camera, and lighting were not cooperating
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm starting to think with my Leupold MIL discount at $2,192.78 for the TMR reticle I can't go wrong.    I think I'm now at 95% sold on this scope!  
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 6:36:06 AM EDT
[#14]
mstennes - How much are the BDC cams running for the CQBSS $40 each?

I am also interested in your opinion if this optic would be suitable for applications such as 3 gun?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 6:38:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
mstennes - How much are the BDC cams running for the CQBSS $40 each?

Thanks,

That sounds about right on it, I have bought so many over the years, I always remembered stocked caps are 30.00 and customs were like 60.00, but those are complete turrets.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 6:44:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Whats your opinion of this optic used in a 3 gun role suitable?

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 8:20:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Whats your opinion of this optic used in a 3 gun role suitable?

I don't know why it wouldn't kick ass, it has the best of bot worlds, no magnification to low magnification for close range, yet still allows excellent long range accuracy. Like having a variable red dot, and scope in one package.  It is a little heavier than say a 1.5x5, but the trade of is more than worth it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#18]
The more I research it, I think I'm going to get the M-TMR reticle. This may be a dumb question, but where would I get the M118LR BDC for it? Would I have to get them from the custom shop? I haven't seen any online.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 8:46:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The more I research it, I think I'm going to get the M-TMR reticle. This may be a dumb question, but where would I get the M118LR BDC for it? Would I have to get them from the custom shop? I haven't seen any online.

Call Leupold, they don't have any of those things on their site, I don't know why they wouldn't, a friend of mine got a Mark 8 when they first came out, his was a TMR with a M118LR reticle, he shoots 175 grain SMKs but the guys all Leupold told him to save his money, as the Federal loading was so close to M118LR that it wasn't worth it at that time, the wait would have been about 6 months, as all the rings were going on scopes, hejust ordered a M262 ring for his and it took about a week, he's going to swap it to his SPR, and get another one, and if I remember right do the same thing as you are, I do know the Horus will give better pin point accuracy at long range just for the fact it has a cross in the middle.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Just talked to Leupold -

The following ballistic rings for the MK8 CQBSS are available:
DIAL, ELEVATION,.1 MIL, 7.62mm, 175gr, M118LR, METERS, MATTE
DIAL, ELEVATION, .1 MIL, 5.56mm, Mk262 Mod 1 DODIC AA53, BDC (USMC Data)
DIAL, ELEVATION, 5.56 mm, 70 gr, 14.5 in, METERS, CQBSS, MATTE
DIAL, BDC, ELEVATION, 5.56mm, 77 gr, 14.5 In, CQBSS, MATTE
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just talked to Leupold -

The following ballistic rings for the MK8 CQBSS are available:
DIAL, ELEVATION,.1 MIL, 7.62mm, 175gr, M118LR, METERS, MATTE
DIAL, ELEVATION, .1 MIL, 5.56mm, Mk262 Mod 1 DODIC AA53, BDC (USMC Data)
DIAL, ELEVATION, 5.56 mm, 70 gr, 14.5 in, METERS, CQBSS, MATTE
DIAL, BDC, ELEVATION, 5.56mm, 77 gr, 14.5 In, CQBSS, MATTE

1st two have got you covered.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 3:10:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Thats what I thought as well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thats what I thought as well.

Another reason I like Leupold, the best customer service in the business, and excellent support!
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 10:21:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So I'm thinking of getting the Leupold Mark 8 CQBSS with the H-27D reticle. Any one own one or have any thoughts? Anything similar I should be looking at? This will be going on my SCAR 17.

Personally, for the cash I would wait on the S&B 1-8. Its nice, but I think they have over priced it, and no daytime illumination. The optic to keep an eye out for is the new Leupy MK6 that is coming out. It looks just like a CQBSS, but has more features (daylight illumination)  at a reduced price. I think they got screwed on price on the 1-8 because I think there were some .gov sales... If you poke around there is a video with Kyle Lamb with the new MK6. Supposed to be priced at $1995 there will also be a I think its a 3-18 MK6.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally, for the cash I would wait on the S&B 1-8. Its nice, but I think they have over priced it, and no daytime illumination. The optic to keep an eye out for is the new Leupy MK6 that is coming out. It looks just like a CQBSS, but has more features (daylight illumination)  at a reduced price. I think they got screwed on price on the 1-8 because I think there were some .gov sales... If you poke around there is a video with Kyle Lamb with the new MK6. Supposed to be priced at $1995 there will also be a I think its a 3-18 MK6.

Two scopes, with different missions, I have seen the Mark 6, and yes it's a excellent platform, it's not as heavy duty as the Mark 8, nor is the glass is good.  The release should be late spring early summer, according to Leupold, unless they can get a fair amount in stock. Lamb is not the only one who has tested them, another couple of end users have also gotten to test them. The Mark 8 doesn't need daylight illumination like other scopes.  As fat as waiting on S&B why wait, it has been on the unavailable list since its debut at SHOT 2010.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top