Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/1/2013 11:07:56 AM EDT
Already did a search, and cant find any input on how anybody is liking an RMR, or RMR type red dot piggyback on their Acog?

Was thinking of getting one for my TA33. I also wonder what type of mounting is favored? IE: offset, or on top of Acog?

Off to keep searching, but would appreciate some input here. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#1]
It is currently the best way to run a red dot and magnified scope when a quick transition between the two is required.  The height of the rmr may take some getting used to since it does not allow you to keep a traditional cheekweld, but it does offer a greater field of view.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#3]
With it sitting on top vs off set to one side makes it more ambidextrous.

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one with a ta11. The height it sits over the bore takes a lot to get used to. Also, practice mental situations where you would transition from the ACOG to the rmr ie a hog standing still and the running at you...
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:36:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies everybody. Keep um coming.

I'll keep this updated if I end up getting this set up.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I am definitely a fan of the RMR on the top of the ACOG.  That being said, you gotta keep your head up running the RMR... it doesn't have the same feel as if you were just to have an Aimpoint on the rifle (even with a lower 1/3rd mount) but it does give you options when you are at a distance or in lighting that isn't optimal for the fixed 4x Acog.  As far as which to go with:  RMR > J Point > Doctor is my personal opinion.

Also, with the RMR mounted offset to the side, it somewhat exposes the RMR to being knocked around.  Seeing that $600 RMR sitting off the side of the rifle makes me a little nervous when I am going around cover and I definitely would be concerned about dropping the rifle down on the RMR side.  My rifle is always resting on its side but I don't think I have ever dropped my AR on its top.  When the RMR is mounted up top, your head is right behind it so you don't even have to think about trying to protect the RMR bc if it gets whacked up there you are probably going to take it in the face as well and no one wants that.  Therefore, having it up top avoids a lot of unnecessary collisions.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#8]

This, I had the same set up on 2 duty/SWAT rifles.
For cqb it worked just fine.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Once again, thanks everybody!! I'm really liking what I'm reading here! Your all going to end up costing me a paycheck

I better put in for some overtime
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 6:08:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Love the RMR.  Here's my vote for the offset mount.  I have no qualms about the sturdiness of the sight in this position. (yes, I'm left handed)

Link Posted: 1/4/2013 12:38:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Well,

My vote is rmr...

My standard optic package is a ta31f-rmr.

Bret
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I use piggybacked MRDs, but I also use it somewhat differently than others - I have one mounted on my ELCAN SpecterDR, despite the 1x setting on it.  

To me, it's a special kind of special purpose sight - and it works best for me in the piggybacked orientation versus an offset - it works as an emergency backup, and a "heads up" CQC sight, and is zeroed for relatively close work.  

Though there's no "cheek weld" to speak of when using them - they are great if you are ever wearing a bone dome, and can't get as tight in, or want to keep your head higher for increased situational awareness (again - most relevant if you've got other additional gear).  

IMHO, they can be extremely useful in a military application, where many of these things may factor in to the equation - however, for more civilian, non-SWAT LEO applications, the cons may outweigh the pros compared to an offset mounting solution.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought a TA31F-RMR during the Worst Group Buy In HistoryTM. When it finally arrived I had it on my AR for a while. It's nifty, but you do not get a cheek weld using the RMR. At best you get a chin weld. If you're typically shooting at 100-400 yards and need the ability for the occasional room clear, it's a good setup. But I don't shoot that way so I found it pretty much useless. I couldn't use it for a carbine class or 3 gun competitive shoot (plus having two optics bumps you into open class).

I really like the RMR as a product; just not mounted on top of my ACOG. I removed it from the ACOG and mounted it on my AK-74 on a MI tri rail. I really like that setup.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top